Boots to my desktop pick and not much else

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fred

Re: Boots to my desktop pick and not much else

Post by Fred »

Mad Bob,

How did you update. Did you use the Mint update tool? Did you update or upgrade? Did you change any of the default repos, or add any repos that weren't there originally?

Fred
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Mad Bob,

I don't know that I can help you much on this. Maybe Husse or someone else has a good idea or two.

Fred
Fred

Post by Fred »

Mad Bob,

You installed XP out of the box on your computer yourself and didn't have issues? You are indeed lucky. :-)

Fred
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

I'm trying to figure out what the path to this problem was. It almost seems like one of those problems that can happen when an upgrade is still using an old configuration file in home and things seem a little buggy.
You say you upgraded but that wasn't from one Linux Mint version to another. Anyway sometimes when you upgrade but use the same /home things can get a little strange.
As clem said here: http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... nfig+files
keeping your home partition basically means keeping your old configurations so when new software behaves the way old versions did and look funny consequently because they're not configured to take advantage of new improvements, you can't call that a bug since it's exactly what you went for.
I know it's not the exact thing and that isn't my intention to say it is; just trying to understand and this really looks like a configuration problem.
Thanks.
Fred

Post by Fred »

newW2,

Very good point, I didn't even think to ask that. Another thing it might be, but it is digging deep, is a bad cd. But that would be a real stretch.

Fred
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

Yes deleting all the .files in home is a brute force way of dealing with it, but I was thinking perhaps:

Code: Select all

gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /apps/panel
remove the panel and then add it again.

Return to “Installation & Boot”