How To Run WIth Laptop Closed?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DennisMiller

How To Run WIth Laptop Closed?

Post by DennisMiller »

My old desktop machine is dieing...

I'd like to take the laptop I'm writing this on and with the help of a USB hub, use it for my CPU. The thing is, I can't figure out how to keep it running when I close the top. Space is not a big deal, but it would certainly be better to put the laptop in one certain space with the top closed than to push it off to the side with the screen open.

I'm hoping it's something I can simply toggle in Linux, but I can't find it. My concern is this might be a function key operation, but they don't work because I replaced Windows 7 on this machine with Linux some time ago.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dennis
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Danko8321

Re: How To Run WIth Laptop Closed?

Post by Danko8321 »

Go to "System Settings", then "Power" (you might need to click (switch to advanced mode in order to see the "Power" tab) and Select: "When the lid is closed", and turn it to "Do nothing". That should be it.
jesica

Post by jesica »

You can also use hibernate for that.
DennisMiller

Post by DennisMiller »

Thanks guys. I'm not finding "System Settings" easily, but I'll get it.
DennisMiller

Post by DennisMiller »

I'm stll not finding it. I'm presuming you mean it's under control panel, but neither the system nor the monitors options lead me to anywhere that sounds like what you mentioned.

I'm running 12, by the way.
DennisMiller

Post by DennisMiller »

It seems the check box command is no longer there. Elsewhere on the web, I read where I could type the following into terminal... gconftool-2 --type string --set /apps/gnome-power-manager/buttons/lid_ac "nothing" I did so, copied and pasted so I wouldn't get it wrong... clicked Enter and it still doesn't work.

I've never been accused of being very computer literate, but I'm beginning to get really frustrated with this.
caribriz

Post by caribriz »

DennisMiller wrote:I'm stll not finding it. I'm presuming you mean it's under control panel, but neither the system nor the monitors options lead me to anywhere that sounds like what you mentioned.

I'm running 12, by the way.
Which desktop are you using in LM12? It sounds like mate (?)

If so, as you've seen, there is no "System Settings" in the menu in LM12 mate session.
LM12 mate.png
Can you logout, click the cog wheel icon and choose gnome or gnome classic and try from there?
Then click your username icon in the right corner of the panel
Click System Settings in the drop down menu, then click Power etc. ...

This is gnome classic desktop in LM12:
LM12 Gnome classic.png
If using Cinnamon desktop in LM12, click Menu > System Tools > System Settings.

LM12 is quite different from other versions ....... also, now obsolete from April 2013 :wink:

Return to “Beginner Questions”