Gaming on Linux Mint 15 through Steam, your experiences

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Gaming on Linux Mint 15 through Steam, your experiences

Post by gibbs1984 »

I don't really game much anymore and it has to be a certain type of game to get me interested but I noticed that Crusader Kings II was released in Steam in Linux.

The system requirements state to use Ubuntu:
Processor: IntelR PentiumR IV 2.4 GHz or AMD 3500+
Memory: 2 GB
Hard disk space: 2 Gb
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 6750 / NVIDIA GeForce 320 / NVIDIA GeForce > 9600 or higher, 1024MB graphics memory required.
I'm sure this is only a recommendation but I'd like to see other peoples experiences of playing games through Steam for Linux in Linux Mint 14/15 etc as for £35 it'll be a lot of money to spend if it doesn't work and only works in Ubuntu.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon) 64bit.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Gaming on Linux Mint 15 through Steam, your experiences

Post by xenopeek »

Moved here, as the gamers amongst us frequent here :wink: I noted they have a demo for download, but probably only Windows?
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

xenopeek wrote:Moved here, as the gamers amongst us frequent here :wink: I noted they have a demo for download, but probably only Windows?
Cheers for moving this, didn't even realise there was a gaming forum :D

Yeah demo isn't for the Linux platform unfortunately.

I have about 5 games working perfectly through Wine but I'd like to play games natively through Steam if possible too though but just want to make sure they work properly before paying out all the money.

I assume that as Linux Mint is based off of Ubuntu that they'll 99% work but just want to make sure.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I've had no issues with other games on Linux Mint 14, though don't have this one. Linux Mint 14/15 uses Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 as a package base, which might have differences in packages from Ubuntu 12.04, as officially recommended by Steam. But so you may also look for if anybody is playing this game through Steam on Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 and that would make it unlikely that it wouldn't also work on Linux Mint 14/15.
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

xenopeek wrote:I've had no issues with other games on Linux Mint 14, though don't have this one. Linux Mint 14/15 uses Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 as a package base, which might have differences in packages from Ubuntu 12.04, as officially recommended by Steam. But so you may also look for if anybody is playing this game through Steam on Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 and that would make it unlikely that it wouldn't also work on Linux Mint 14/15.
OK cool, that's what I thought.

I'll have a look round to see if anyone has any problems playing these games on Ubuntu 12.10/13.04.

I'll wait for payday and buy the game and then probably not play it much anyway ;)
gemini89

Post by gemini89 »

Crusader kings 2 works for me, my specs is in my signature.

I haven´t had any problem with other Steam games, and I got like 15 of em. Exept for Oil Rush, but it´s because of my Intel GPU.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

gibbs1984 wrote:I have about 5 games working perfectly through Wine
I'm genuinely interested in how you got it all going.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

gemini89 wrote:Crusader kings 2 works for me, my specs is in my signature.

I haven´t had any problem with other Steam games, and I got like 15 of em. Exept for Oil Rush, but it´s because of my Intel GPU.
Thanks for your feedback, that's what I like to hear.

My specs should be good enough so I'll download it on pay day next week :)
catweazel wrote:
gibbs1984 wrote:I have about 5 games working perfectly through Wine
I'm genuinely interested in how you got it all going.
What do you mean sorry?

They're separate from Steam, I'm not running Steam though Wine, I'm running Steam natively and haven't installed a game through Steam yet.

The 5 games running in Wine are ones I installed separately through Wine from the CD's I have:

Age of Empires II
Football Manager 2011
Pokerstars (OK, not technically a game I suppose ;))
Sim City 4 Deluxe
Tropico 4
Calgacus

Post by Calgacus »

Well, I love Mint 15 - but I think the ATI HD4830 512mb video card I have is not able to work with whatever drivers Mint uses.

I'm so ready to leave MS Windows Vista forever - and I can't. But now I'm only one step away.

And when I install the latest Catalyst drivers everything breaks and I'm left with some very strange low-res desktop that looks like Gnome 1.x.

All the online help for installing this driver for this video card in Mint fail me.

Woe unto me WOE WOE!

:(
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Calgacus wrote:Windwoes Vista

Woe unto me WOE WOE!
I corrected your error :mrgreen:
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
phill1978

Post by phill1978 »

experience = poor

AMD drivers in opensource are poor at 3D , AMD drivers in official are poor at 2D

no win.

Also using xfce i seem to get windows silently closing from time to time. Cinnamon isn't actually that friendly with AMD either.

no win

The games list is still poor. The games aren't optimized. The video drivers on AMD are poor

no win

on the plus side i feel it is getting better over the months with regards to steam and amd drivers but its upto the linux crew not to screw things up with updates. Hopefully weyland/mir and another big developer push by valve should see some real improvements. I cant actually expect mint to play 100% though as valve support ubuntu on 12.04 not mint.
HarzVieh

Post by HarzVieh »

I did buy X3: TC and AP from Egosoft a year ago for 20 €.. it can't be played without registration on Steam (on Win7).. now I did not know how to install Steam on Linux, so I did search forums and Google some stuff.. I must say, for an "no CLI" operator like me it was not easy.. :) So my first try was installing openSuse 12.3 on my experimental small 32 GB SSD. I did manage install Steam with "1 click install" but did corrupt somehow my system over graphics. :(
On second try it all worked.. but it's not Linux mint right?.. :wink:
So yesterday I did install Linux mint 14.1 on my Game PC: AMD 3,4 Ghz 4 cores, 8 Gig RAM, GeForce 9800 GTX, ond now somewhat bigger 64 Gig SSD. Thanks to Dedoimedo latest review, and some direct link to download the Steam file, it is working. I did play about one hour without any issues
on the Game part. Steam itself close sometime without any notification, I think it's something about Adobe Flash player, although I did install him.
Here is some confusion: I did buy a German language game, and on the Egosoft website they say you can use your previous saves.. 8) but then the version they give me on Steam for Linux is in English.. so obviously they not compatible.
So.. my experience is positive, assuming both the Games and Steam still in testing.. now, if only some developer from open Suse did stop developing KDE features no one really need, and go to AMD graphics department and help them with drivers.. :lol:
Aleenik

Post by Aleenik »

I use Steam on Linux Mint all the time. I have almost 200 Steam games, but most don't have a Linux version, so I don't even mess with those on Linux Mint. While I have experienced a few issues, none were major and I was able to resolve them even as a total Linux noob. I think the future of Linux is a bit brighter thanks to Valve. Valve's Steambox itself will be running Linux!:)
LinuxGamer2013

Post by LinuxGamer2013 »

Good so far
Condorman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Condorman »

So far I've played only Half Life 2 on both Mint Cinnamon 15 and openSUSE 12.3, but performance on both has been excellent. I intend to get Portal soon.
rmisra1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rmisra1 »

hi

pl follow procedure mentioned on URL

http://www.itworld.com/software/362585/install-valves-steam-game-client-linux-mint-15

1. Open a terminal window.

2. Type in the following commands then hit Enter after each.

wget -c media.steampowered.com/client/installer/steam.deb

sudo dpkg -i steam.deb

sudo apt-get install -f

then open client ...after update it will work

...i tried it worked for me
PhoenixOrion

Post by PhoenixOrion »

I followed those install instructions and steam did install but when I go to run it. It acts like it is starting up but never actually pops up or fully starts where I see any graphical interface. Any Ideas? I am just starting to use Linux but am fairly familiar with computers. I am using the fglrx drivers with the updates. Don't know if that would make a difference on steam itself?
HarzVieh

Post by HarzVieh »

I followed those install instructions
[url]http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=225&t=137879[/url]
phill1978

Post by phill1978 »

if anyone finds this usefull..

Killing floor 1080p Medium settings

AMD 5850 1gb GDDR5 powerful but now old GPU 5 - 15fps
Cheapo AMD A10-5800k in my HTPC = 60 flat (tear free enabled in AMD control panel needed for frame rates to be high and stable)

same for most other games. It seems my problems stemmed from having an older (yet much more powerful) piece of hardware

Drivers closed source Cat 13.4

drivers all along :roll:
Megazell

Post by Megazell »

CPU: 3.0 Ghz
Vidoe: Geforce GT 630 - 2 GB
Memory: 8 GB
Hard Drive: 1 TB

I have the following games on STEAM:

Awesomenauts
Dota 2
Dwarfs!?
Garry's Mod
Killing Floor
Left 4 Dead 2
Naturual Selection 2
No Room In Hell
Serious Sam 3: BFE
Shatter
Closure
Driod Assault
Dungeon Hearts
Fortrix 2
Revenge Of The Titans
Space Pirates and Zombies
Splce
Titan Attacks
Ultratron
-----------------

All of these games run excellently. All on max setting with the exception of Killing Floor. I did have hiccups with the following games:

Garry's Mod - Did not work at all - I had to use this guide to fix - https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/St ... ry.27s_mod
Dwarfs?! - Crashes during tutorial a lot - I had to use this fix - http://steamcommunity.com/app/35480/dis ... 484274432/
Killing Floor - Odd Texture issue - I got rid of the problem by lowering my settings and setting scope to Textured. I found the solution on the KF board and the devs know about the issue and are working on it.

Overall - My experience with STEAM on Linux has been quite positive.
Last edited by Megazell on Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Gaming”