Cinnamon Screensaver AKA LockScreen

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sosaudio1

Cinnamon Screensaver AKA LockScreen

Post by sosaudio1 »

So, got the new update, Like the new lockscreen but I want to change the time displayed from 24hr mode to 12hr mode. Where is the config for this or where do I need to hack to make that happen

Thanks
Rich
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sosaudio1

Re: Cinnamon Screensaver AKA LockScreen

Post by sosaudio1 »

Aaaaannnyyybody.....heeeeelllooooo
AleQwerty

Post by AleQwerty »

Same problem here with the date format... :oops:
sosaudio1

Post by sosaudio1 »

<<BUMP>>
kherring7383

Post by kherring7383 »

I too have noticed that the time format for the screen-lock cannot be changed to 12 hour format. So as an alternate, I have installed XScreensaver which I can configure and display an actual screen saver not just locking the screen. As much as I like the idea of a lock-screen, it irritates me a bit that I have no option to change the time format. Hopefully this will be changed in the final release of MInt 15 or perhaps someone will come up with a hack or UI option that can be used.
davidostrom

Post by davidostrom »

I understand this is a fairly recent post, but has anyone found a solution to this? Link? Thanks!
letjoshdesignit

Post by letjoshdesignit »

The time code for the lock screen (AKA screensaver) is in the package cinnamon-screensaver. Its on github, and when I download the master zip, I found the code (%R) for the 24 hour time. The code for 12hr time is (%l:%M %P) without the (), but Ive read that the colon (:) doesnt work or breaks the package or something.

The string is located in a file called (gnome-wall-clock.c) towards the bottom of the file. For the life of me I cant find it on my computer using (find) in terminal, and I dont know how to install the master zip files. The README says see INSTALL for instructions, but there is no INSTALL file.

Also, someone posted a modified gschema for cinnamon settings to add more options for the lock screen. Its located herehttps://github.com/byteit101/Cinnamon/b ... ema.xml.in but I couldnt get it to work. The new options are around line 800 or so.
dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Post by dagon »

letjoshdesignit wrote:The string is located in a file called (gnome-wall-clock.c) towards the bottom of the file. For the life of me I cant find it on my computer using (find) in terminal...
Now you're in the source code and it takes a bit to get used to. The files that ends with .c are not going to transfer directly to the final .deb package. It goes through a process called compilation.
...and I dont know how to install the master zip files.
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/wiki/Building

Hack on! 8)
Feenix

Post by Feenix »

I am finding that the bottom part of the window is cut off in Login Window Preferences. The part that is hidden has the apply button. Untill I can work around the widow size I am stuck with 24 hour time on lockscreen.
Feenix

Post by Feenix »

:?: It would be a design flaw in the control panel. It only has a close button at the bottom, so theirs no way to make it stay on anything but auto.
sheybklyn

Post by sheybklyn »

I have been trying all over to fix this. This should change in the upcoming releases. I cannot stand that military time on the lockscreen.
sheybklyn

Post by sheybklyn »

Been all over with this, ncluding IRC. I guess there isn't a way to do this yet. I hope they add this in the next release.
Tejas_0

Post by Tejas_0 »

Code: Select all

Release: Linux Mint 16 "petra"
Edition: Cinnamon 32-bit 
I'm probably missing something very simple here. Upgraded from 14 to 16, so not savvy with Cinnamon progress over the last year. A couple of questions:
  1. Necessary to have Screen Lock ON in order to get the digital time screen saver?
  2. How to ensure that instead of screen darkening, that the screen saver always kicks in?
clfarron4

Post by clfarron4 »

Tejas_0 wrote:

Code: Select all

Release: Linux Mint 16 "petra"
Edition: Cinnamon 32-bit 
I'm probably missing something very simple here. Upgraded from 14 to 16, so not savvy with Cinnamon progress over the last year. A couple of questions:
  1. Necessary to have Screen Lock ON in order to get the digital time screen saver?
  2. How to ensure that instead of screen darkening, that the screen saver always kicks in?
1) I think so.
2) Don't know.

There are many changes from Cinnamon 1.8 to 2.0, and these many be some of them I haven't noticed.

Return to “Cinnamon”