What prompted your move to linux?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rimbaum

What prompted your move to linux?

Post by rimbaum »

I've been seeing a lot of talk lately about Windows 8 being likely to prompt a lot of users to linux because of their issues with no traditional start menu... and it got me thinking about what actually prompted my move to linux!

When I got my netbook a few years back, it came standard with Windows 7 Starter Edition. I'm sure I don't need to list all the ways in which that particular iteration of Windows was a total failure, but what actually prompted me to move to linux was the total lack of customizeability. I couldn't even change the wallpaper background! It was completely ridiculous. I'd heard of linux as a free OS before, and had vaguely heard of names like Red Hat and Ubuntu. Since the people I talked to online were somewhat more familiar with Ubuntu, that was what I downloaded. Ubuntu 10.04 was my first linux OS, and I kept updating every six months until they switched to unity... I could not (and still cannot) stand unity at all, and preferred to stick around with Gnome2 as long as I could.

It didn't even occur to me to look at different distros at the time, although now I'm glad I did because I found Mint with MATE :D I didn't consider myself a power user (still don't, I guess!), although since I got my new laptop, I've definitely been looking at ways to actually mess around with the OS itself instead of just being a casual user that only wants a computer that can handle IMs, email, and web browsing with the occasional writing project to do.

So does anyone else have stories to share about their move to linux?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
trapperjohn

Re: What prompted your move to linux?

Post by trapperjohn »

I first started with Ubuntu Warty Warthog back ~2005. I had Unix experience from decades prior and I wanted to re-live old memories. Also I was curious... wanted to learn. Over the next year or so, I migrated to where where I used Ubuntu almost exclusively, most often using Windows in a VBox machine for some tasks (I still do this).

Around 2007 I became heavily involved with not-for-profit community groups. Their computers were always hand-me-downs that the original owners donated because they, well, were klunkers. Linux distros brought these machines back to life.

I can't effectively enumerate the reasons why I am now almost exclusively a Linux user. Perhaps the bigest reason is; I like to know I own the machine... entirely.

I migrated from Ubuntu to Mint slowly, starting at Mint 9. I found it more predictable when running a remote, unattended machine. I primarily stick to LTS releases. When Ubuntu Lucid Lynx approached the end of its long term service period, I chose not to use the emerging Ubuntu desktop... Unity. There were many reasons for this, the biggest being simply that I like Mint (Mate) better. Another is the fact that I still volunteer for several non-profits... and they still have machines that do better without the eye candy. What's great about Mint is that users have a choice. They can have the eye candy with Cinnamon or opt out with Mate.

I experiment with many other Linux distros. Some are better suited to specific tasks and I use them as a default on some machines. Examples include Scientific Linux (Redhat derivitive), Kali (Debian), LUbuntu, and Puppy.
Last edited by trapperjohn on Fri May 31, 2013 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

rimbaum wrote:So does anyone else have stories to share about their move to linux?
Windwoes 8. No more need be said.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

Windows, what more needs to be said.
got tired of paying for a system, with so many issues in so many areas.
Found linux more stable and all the way around better for me and I only use software I get from linux itself, so no need to Windows in any way shape or form.
Not even wine.
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Post by excollier »

A combination of curiosity ( I had known of Linux for some time), too much time on my hands (unemployed after 35 years working) and needing to keep the braincells ticking over.
Also Windows Vista driving me mad, but I still (unfortunately) need it for a couple of applications.
Now I am hooked, and happy with that. :)
I'll never be a Guru, but as long as I can get a distro to work, with a little help, I'm happy.
Registered Linux user #557695
MX Linux user these days - I introduce newbies via Mint
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

I think beyond the fact that Linux Mint is very good, many people are coming over for the MATE and Cinammon desktops.

We just want a sane user environment.

(Yeah, I know...you can install MATE and Cinammon on other distros, but an Out-Of-The-Box presentation has value.
Frivolous

Post by Frivolous »

I switched to Linux from Windows mainly because I wanted to try something different. I always liked playing around with different software and was also curious about different operating systems. My friend had Ubuntu installed on his computer and I thought I'd give it a try one day and I really enjoyed it.
My switch to Linux Mint recently was partially because I'm not a huge fan of Unity and Mint has always looked impressive to me, but also because I wanted that new experience yet again. I have a feeling I'll be sticking with it for quite awhile now, though.
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

Vista originally. I installed Gentoo in a VM and it was snappier than Vista was installed. I was hooked and eventually found Mint.
As far as full time, I had to buy a new system recently, and I wanted a SSD. Didn't have enough space for a dual boot, and Linux did everything better but the games. I figured that I didn't need to play games when I was supposed to be working, so I switched to Linux full time.
gnudude

Post by gnudude »

found windows too limiting, found linux to be anything but
haven't found any reason to use windows or even have it installed since 2002
nostromo

Post by nostromo »

trapperjohn wrote: I primarily stick to LTS releases. When Ubuntu Lucid Lynx approached the end of its long term service period, I chose not to use the emerging Ubuntu desktop... Unity. There were many reasons for this, the biggest being simply that I like Mint (Mate) better.
Agreed,........."Maya-MATE Edition"....Live Long and Prosper!
Non Serviam

Post by Non Serviam »

Bought a new laptop, it came pre-loaded with Windows 8. Looked at Windows 8. Decided I wanted a laptop, not an oversized phone without a touchscreen. Shut down new laptop, fired up old laptop, researched Linux, decided on Linux Mint, and here I am.
3mutts

Post by 3mutts »

Curiosity mainly and wanting to try something different than Windows.
Chemical_Ali
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Chemical_Ali »

As someone who prefers using open source software, I was 'always' curious about Linux. I tried various distros in the past, but I always went back to Windows without learning how to use Linux properly. It wasn't until 2009 that I decided to set a challenge for myself to see if I could use Ubuntu for one year without reverting to Windows. I managed to use Ubuntu on a full-time basis until 2011. I went back to Windows in 2011, because I had to use Photoshop, Flash, etc. Now I am using Mint. :)
rkmugen

Post by rkmugen »

I needed to squeeze out more useful years out of my iMac G3 (2001) and my Compaq V2000 (2006). MintPPC (Debian Wheezy) and Linux Mint 13, both, allowed me to do just that!

Though my main Windows Vista HTPC (from 2007) will likely remain a Windows machine.... I can't give up my Assassin's Creed games nor Windows Vista Media Center (I use it for over-the-air DTV and over-the-air broadcast radio).
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

I had Windows Vista on a laptop whose hard drive failed. No backup disks. New drive and needed an OS. Ubuntu 9.10 saved me and I've loved Linux distros ever since. I also have a fondness for OS X over Windows any day. I don't see me ever going back to Windows and now I run Linux, Chrome OS (which is still Linux, just VERY different) and OSX.
NightHawk877

Post by NightHawk877 »

I got bored. Had a spare computer lying around and installed Ubuntu on it.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Jonathan Spearman

Post by Jonathan Spearman »

I would have to say the following

1. Paying for Windows and the applications became way too expensive, when you have to pay 4000.00 for Exchange and close to 1500 for any of the server OS's that really puts the brakes on using your PC or Server.
2. After being a windows tech, I could no longer be part of the lie that windows is the best. Corporate users spend more time being down, then actually getting work done. Windows only shops, cause IT to constantly put out fires and interoperability between other platforms brings become expensive and usually do not work and causes the company to lose money.
3. Viruses, Blue Screens
4. Anti-Pirating measures such as users not owning their software.
5. Being forced to buy proprietary hardware in order to use the software.
6. They are a criminal company that has not really changed. They are forcing UEFI on vendors in a effort to lock out other OS's in the name of security, Yet those companies that use their platform have been hacked more than any other OS on the planet, and it is not because they are the so-called most visible, it is because their coding sucks and has more holes than swiss cheese.
7. They are thieves because they bully companies to pay them royalties on software they did not create or write, such as the Blackmail licensing fees of android phones
8. The Eula- which basically states your data belongs to MS and if you try and get out of the MS trap, you have to pay additional money in order to get your data configured so it will work on another system and there are penalties for not wanting to use MS products.

Some may not like what I have said, but unfortunately it is the truth.
Last edited by Jonathan Spearman on Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

Divine Providence, does not mean I am not an atheist. :)
RavenLX

Post by RavenLX »

I think ultimately Linux Mint made me switch to 100% Linux six months ago. I never looked back! I had used Windows Vista Home Premium on my old laptop for about 4 - 5 years, but tried a distro now and then using VirtualBox. At work I'm a server administrator and we use Ubuntu so I got very familiar with that. When I bought my new laptop last year, it came pre-installed with Windows 7 Home Premium. I had to make a few adjustments to some of the changes in the file manager, and other small things, but overall it was much like Vista. Just on a better machine. Then Windows 8 came out and I decided to spring for the $15 upgrade to Windows 8 pro (which the computer manufacturer then reimbursed me for). I tried. I really really tried. But no matter what, Windows 8 became useless as far as trying to get an real work done. I found I had to spend MORE money to get back a start button (free versions didn't work as well as I needed them to) and boot directly to the desktop. Plus in the back of my mind, I knew the system resources were being hogged a little by that darn "Metro" or "Modern" tile start screen. What a waste. Not only that, the Windows looked so ugly I hated to use the computer! Seriously looked like Windows 1.0 on steroids! Sick. And at the time nothing could be done about it (Stardock since has come out with Windows 8 version of WindowBlinds but that's commercial software).

What tipped it was Microsoft. Back in October or November I had decided to let go of my hotmail account and wanted it closed, cancelled, since they were phasing it out anyway. They said sometime in November it would be gone. Well, it didn't happen. It took several MONTHS to get that and another Microsoft account that I had started when using Windows 8 to completely close. TONS and tons of emails, and one representative thinking she'll call the cops on me for wanting to go to the attorney general because they refused to delete my private data and close accounts! Needless to say I couldn't control my laughter when she said that. An advocate did apologize for her behavior but still, it took several people and a few months to close those accounts!

Well, by January, I had enough of Microsoft (They were STILL trying to close those accounts!) altogether and after a few weeks of running Mint 14 in VirtualBox within Windows 8, and testing for hardware compatibility, etc. I took the plunge. Everything worked! Most of it out of the box! I did have to do some adjusting to doing things a little differently but it wasn't too bad at all. And I was already well familiar with the command line when I needed it.

I chose KDE because I've used KDE on different Distros in the past and always loved it. It is most similar to Windows (yes, it's not like Windows but it's closer) and I like the window decorations. You can customize it any way you want. Plus there are some good plasma widgets.

So Linux Mint and Windows 8 made me switch. Windows 8 because it just was terrible and expensive and Linux Mint because it was much more stable, boots up fast and is easy to use. And it's not a resource hog running things I don't want/need in the background with no way to get rid of it (Like Windows 8 start screen).

I had tried to move to Linux before, using distros like Mandriva (before it was even called that), and Slackware. I also tried I think Red Hat and also various versions of Ubuntu (including 12.04 Desktop) But in everyday use, neither would do what I needed to and some things seemed to take a lot of work to get working. I don't know but Mint just seemed so much easier to set up.

So that's my story. I think Microsoft royally jumped the shark with Windows 8. I read now and then that it's doing very poorly. I don't worry - I have something better now. :)
fraxinus_63

Post by fraxinus_63 »

My brother, more tech-minded than me, had been using Linux since the late 1990s - so I had long known about it. In 2004 I bought a new PC with WinXP installed. No broadband then (I live in the country) - I had to leave the computer on downloading and applying XP updates all night. By the time it had finished, I had so many viruses and downloaders on board that I couldn't believe it. I was angry. How could anyone sell me a product in this condition?

First distro was SUSE 9.1 (summer 2004). I dual booted with XP. It was hard work understanding lots of things (especially how to use a package manager rather than downloading random software packages in the WIndows fashion), but I made progress, learned a lot about my computer and enjoyed the extra security.

Summer 2006 - SUSE 10.1 came along. Much sleeker; much better hardware support (especially for USB devices). I learned about VMware. Now I could run XP for some tasks without dual booting - ever. Decided I really loved Linux.

I have now been using Mint for over two years. I started with Mint 8 and liked it. Mint 10 took things to a new level. I cannot escape from using Adobe Creative Suite (publishing is my job), so I run that in XP using VirtualBox. Otherwise I am 100% Linux.

It is great that Linux is free (as in beer) but that's not the main reason I love it. I like transparency, security, control over what my PC is doing, and the community ethos surrounding Linux.

Return to “Chat about Linux”