Got an Nvidia 7300 LE and really confused.

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jasonwatkins
Level 1
Level 1

Got an Nvidia 7300 LE and really confused.

Post by jasonwatkins »

i really don't know what's going on here because it just doesn't seem to want to set any sort of decent resolution.

i only re-installed daryna yesterday after re-formatting back from Hardy Heron and i did the "restricted drivers manager" bit where I enabled the NVidia drivers and rebooted, but the resolution literally looks like it's 640x480.

if i go to administration->screens and graphics and choose a generic monitor at 1024x768 resolution it doesn't work - if i choose the "detect" button, it just detects a generic plug 'n play monitor and only offers me 640x480.

i went to envy and also chose the option to install NVidia drivers but i still can't get the resolution right.

i've got a 19 inch TFT screen by "LiteView" as well, if that helps.

i'm so sorry to be this vague but i'm really confused as to why it's not working - it normally installs and sets up with no problems.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Got an Nvidia 7300 LE and really confused.

Post by 67GTA »

I sometimes have this problem. I usually get the desired res after running

Code: Select all

sudo nvidia-xconfig
Have you tried running

Code: Select all

sudo nvidia-settings
? If you set the res there, you can tell it to save that info to xorg.conf.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
jasonwatkins
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jasonwatkins »

i've done nvidia-settings but i really don't know what i'm doing.

the x-screen information gives me

dimensions - 1024x768 pixels (413x260 millimetres)
resolution - 63x75 dots per inch
depth - 24
GPU's - GeForce 7300 LE (GPU 0)

Displays - NUL M19W (CRT-1)

if I go to x server display configuration I get the model NUL M19W (CRT-1)

And it offers me the resolution of 1024x768 at 70hz, so I save it to the x configuration file, reboot and still get the same large resolution - i have massive icons (if that makes sense).

it's hard to explain but it's clearly a long way from being 1024x768 at the moment. even if i choose the auto-select option, it still appears to be the "large" resolution.
jasonwatkins
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jasonwatkins »

don't know if this will help, but i took a screenshot so you could get a sense of what it looked like ..

67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

I need you to move the VLC player window......just kidding. Post a copy of your /etc/X11/xogr.conf file. There might be something overriding your settings.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
jasonwatkins
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jasonwatkins »

i've actually solved it using the "brute force" method ..

i re-formatted and re-installed daryna again and it's working fine now - proper resolution and everything. i can only guess my previous attempt didn't work 100%.

cheers for your help though ..

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”