M.A.M.E.

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
johnno56

M.A.M.E.

Post by johnno56 »

I have used Mame before, when I used to run with Windlows XP, and would like to so with Mint.

Can someone, in step-by-step method, describe how to install Mame and a good frontend? I am running with Mint 14 Nadia XFCE 4.

Thank you.

J
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: M.A.M.E.

Post by catweazel »

Code: Select all

$ sudo apt-get install mame gnome-video-arcade
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
johnno56

Post by johnno56 »

Catweazel,

Thank you for replying so quickly.

Both 'mame' and 'gnome-video-arcade' installed without incident.

Problem: 'gva' executes ok but fails to anylize the roms. I have 982 roms stored on my hard drive. '/home/john/.mame/roms/'. 'Gva' does not appear to have the ability to manually configure the directories from the main gui. Have you you heard of this problem in the past, or do you think I may be doing something wrong?

Regards

J
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Take a look in the synaptic package manager. Search for mame. That's all I did. I noted there were other tools listed.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
johnno56

Post by johnno56 »

Ok. Will do.

J
johnno56

Post by johnno56 »

All is ok.

Completely un-installed mame, gva and tools. Removed the mame.ini file.

Installed mame. Ran from games menu.
installed gva from synaptic (version 0.8.3-1)
Started gva and it built the game database and after about a minute or so, it finished analyzing the roms.
All seems ok.

Many thenks for you assist.

Regards

J
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

It's amazing what you can achieve with just a slight nudge in the right direction :mrgreen:

Cheers.
johnno56

Post by johnno56 »

You are the Nudge Master....

J

Return to “Gaming”