Is Nvidia 173 proprietary driver supported in Mint Olivia?

Screen resolution, 3D Acceleration, nVidia, ATI
Forum rules
Before you post please read this
LateJunction
Level 3
Level 3

Is Nvidia 173 proprietary driver supported in Mint Olivia?

Post by LateJunction »

After more than a week of repeatedly trying and failing to install the Nvidia proprietary driver (173.14.37) for my Geforce FX 5200 on Mint Mate 15 I am reaching the conclusion that this is not a supported configuration.

Can anybody confirm this?
Dis93
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Is Nvidia 173 proprietary driver supported in Mint Olivi

Post by Dis93 »

How are you trying to install the driver? From a download? if so try the device drivers option in System Settings instead
LateJunction
Level 3
Level 3

Post by LateJunction »

Yes, I was trying a manual install, using a download from the nVidia web-site, couple with a lot of advice from various fora, most of which is wrong because it either applies to a different version of Mint, a different distribution of Linux, to a different level of driver or is, like much of the internet, just plain wrong.

The Driver Manger in 'Olivia' Mint causes a corruption of my system from which I can only recover by re-installing the OS.

Using the Package Manager I was able to 'apply' the install of nvidia-173 from the repositories. The result of this install process was different to that of the manual one: it lasted until the next reboot instead of failing immediately. But the failure error messages were identical (the X server wouldn't start because the xorg.conf is not valid). So at least this is consistent, and again makes me ask if this configuration is supported?

I haven't tried the 'device drivers' option in Systems Settings yet; I'm not sure what that means until I re-install Olivia (I don't know where to go with the CLI, to get back to the nouveau driver).
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Is there a particular reason you're trying to install version 317 rather than the more recent 319 release?

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa 
sudo apt-get update 
sudo apt-get install nvidia-319 nvidia-settings-319
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
roblm
Level 13
Level 13

Post by roblm »

LateJunction:

Today I installed Linux Mint 15 Mate on an extra partition of an older computer that has an Nvidia GeForce 6200 video card. There were no other drivers listed under Driver Manager. I then was able to install the Nvidia 173.14.37 proprietary driver. However, the installation was not as smooth as usual. If you are still interested in installing this driver, then I can post the steps I used.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”