Wireless Modem Setup/Installation

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Meteor
Level 3
Level 3

Wireless Modem Setup/Installation

Post by Meteor »

Now having two laptops in my home, I felt it's time to update from my old hardwired modem to wireless. I have a "ZyXEL Communications Corporation" wireless unit supplied by Telus (a Canadian telephone company) currently connected by a cable to this laptop. Telus and their staff assist their customers promptly if they use windows or mac. I don't having been a Linux user for the past 8 years and Mint since Helena (if I recall her name correctly). In speaking with a representative from Telus, I was instructed to do what the forums suggest. It does not appear that anyone has mentioned setting up wireless modems to Canadian phone companies (or I haven't looked in the right place...).

The modem works great as is (currently hardwired to my Acer 5250 laptop). Hardwired to my Asus something laptop, it works great too but so did my hardwired modem. I don't have enough cable to string through the house and properly to stay connected...

Could someone please point me to where I can find out how a non-technical user can connect my two laptops to this modem and become wireless? I haven't discovered anything in Nadia's menu that offers what I need or haven't looked in the right place. Obviously, Mint 13 is running on my laptops -- Mate to be specific.

Where should I be looking and (hopefully) will it be easy to set up?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Meteor
Southern Alberta, Canada, eh! :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
trapperjohn

Re: Wireless Modem Setup/Installation

Post by trapperjohn »

Does the modem have an adminstrative page that you can bring up from Firefox? If so, you should see a configuration page for the wireless. Make sure that it is broadcasting (enabled) and make note of the wireless network name and password. You may have to create this wireless access point from the administrative interface in Firefox.

Next, from a computer that has a wireless adaptor, go to the network manager and be sure wireless is enabled. If the adaptor is configured properly (proper driver is installed and configured) then you should see your router's wireless broadcast name in the list of available networks. Clicking it will prompt for the password.

Canada or elsewhere, the process is similar... it depends on the modem.

Trapper John from PEI
(as a foreign national)
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

If you are able to get to the URL 192.168.1.1 and are prompted for username and password, that's where you can access the wireless settings of the router and enable it, update firmware, change security settings, etc. You should be able to enable it there as well, unless of course the software your ISP uses has a config setup that requires Windows or Mac (doubtful). For many, the default user/pass is admin/password or admin/admin. If you've setup username and password, of course, use those.
trapperjohn

Post by trapperjohn »

But, becareful with this line if it's an ISP modem
update firmware
This may override custom settings that the ISP's WAN connection requires. If the modem provides a way of saving the configuration, do it before taking this step. You do not want to spend the day on the phone with the ISP... particularly one holding a script that says "we only support Windows." Irrelevant as it is, they will say it. Linux will work with a working modem.

Your ISP is shipping a modem that they, in theory, know works with "as shipped" firmware. They would know this because they have client evidence from Windows users. Make firmware upgrades only as a last resort.

Return to “Hardware Support”