stability of Linux mint 15 and Linux mint 13.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Elysium

stability of Linux mint 15 and Linux mint 13.

Post by Elysium »

I have just installed LM Mate 15...before that I used 14. It is cool and works just fine, but I think 14 was more stable. I am wondering how stable the LM Mate 13 LTS is.

My question is the following: does linux mint 13 (long term support) offers more stability for being an LTS version? Or is this just a myth I have created in my mind?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kurotsugi

Re: stability of Linux mint 15 and Linux mint 13.

Post by kurotsugi »

yup...it does more stable than non-LTS version.
passerby

Post by passerby »

Ultimately it depends on what you do with your OS. If you enable unstable updates and install random PPAs from untrusted sources, then your OS can easily go south.
If you're after stability, then yeah, grab Mint 13 and leave the default update settings as they are.
Elysium

Post by Elysium »

passerby wrote:Ultimately it depends on what you do with your OS. If you enable unstable updates and install random PPAs from untrusted sources, then your OS can easily go south.
If you're after stability, then yeah, grab Mint 13 and leave the default update settings as they are.
Thanks for the reply. I never install unstable updates....I only install level 1-3. Never risk installing other updates. I am safe that way, arent I?
passerby

Post by passerby »

Elysium wrote: Thanks for the reply. I never install unstable updates....I only install level 1-3. Never risk installing other updates. I am safe that way, arent I?
In that regard, yes. Levels 1-3 are safe.
Even then, part of having the "latest and greatest" is dealing with new bugs/features that may compromise stability.
If it really worries you, consider going back to 13. If not, keep doing what you've been doing to keep 15 running smooth; it sounds like you're already on the right track.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

This does bring up a dilemma for those of us who use Mint as their primary desktop as opposed to a hobby and it has to do with the goal of these releases.

Mint is based on Ubuntu but Ubuntu has changed how they release editions. Starting with 13.04 ( Mint 15 ) non-LTS releases are only supported for 9 months. Mint is run by adults so what you get is slow but methodical improvements in the things that Mint does to the desktop. But with 9 months support Ubuntu is essentially releasing not Beta's but something more like "Technology Previews". If something they throw in a release doesn't work then it will either disappear in the next release or get fixed but there's little incentive to fix it for the current release.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

altair4 wrote:This does bring up a dilemma for those of us who use Mint as their primary desktop as opposed to a hobby and it has to do with the goal of these releases.

Mint is based on Ubuntu but Ubuntu has changed how they release editions. Starting with 13.04 ( Mint 15 ) non-LTS releases are only supported for 9 months. Mint is run by adults so what you get is slow but methodical improvements in the things that Mint does to the desktop. But with 9 months support Ubuntu is essentially releasing not Beta's but something more like "Technology Previews". If something they throw in a release doesn't work then it will either disappear in the next release or get fixed but there's little incentive to fix it for the current release.
For anyone running MInt as a primary desktop it would kind of stand to reason that LTS versions are the way to go. You can enable backports to keep many apps current while maintaining the stability of the LTS, along with removing the need to reinstall the OS very often. For production machines, I don't know why anyone would run a non-LTS.

Clem is very open to package suggestions so if an LTS has an older version of an app, perhaps he'd take input on updating a package for a user's needs on Mint 13? I haven't done so, but Clem has been very receptive in the past to suggestions or requests. I personally don't recommend non-LTS to new users or anyone on a production machine where stability and reliability are paramount.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Yep, I'd agree with that.

In the past I would always install the XX.04 levels of Ubuntu ( and it's corresponding Mint version ) but with this new release schedule it looks like I'm only doing LTS. Just so I'm not overwhelmed by any dramatic changes though I install every release as a VirtualBox guest so I can become familiar with what's going on.

Of course as an XFCE user there never are any "dramatic changes" - at least not to the desktop itself :)
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
EmpireITtech

Post by EmpireITtech »

Exactly, for any production environment, I do not know anyone who would use a non-LTS OS. As a hobby, I always re-install the latest Mint lol :mrgreen:
MysticGold04

Post by MysticGold04 »

So far my install of LM 15 on three computers is working great! I wouldn't call my environment a "production" environment, but I still like to have stability and reliability. So far LM 15 seems solid. I love it so far. :mrgreen:

Return to “Beginner Questions”