Firefox freezes/hangs

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Re: Firefox freezes/hangs

Post by Husse »

I don't think it's Mint related. Since a month or so Firefox has become unstable and really annoying - don't know what's going on but not funny at all
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

For what it is worth, YouTube is notorious for crashing Firefox with Flash. I have had this exact same issue with openSUSE, PCLinuxOS, Mandriva, and Linux Mint. I do not bother with the YouTube site much, but many historical videos are in that flash format, so I can sympathize with your situation. The blame for the crashes certainly is not the fault of the Linux distro. It has to be Adobe and/or YouTube in some combination. Overall, I have found the Linux platform to be solidly reliable and stable. As for what we can do, well, restart Firefox and play it again. He, he, he...
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Post by red-e-made »

Boy can I relate to this. I think I may have found a solution, or it's just my imagination:

What happens to me is, when I'm watching a Flash video and want to close the tab, it just freezes, to the point where I have to force quit. But I found that if I move to another tab, and *then* close the tab with the Flash video on it, it closes fine.

Anyone have any idea why this might be?
Husse

Post by Husse »

When you move the flash to a hidden tab it probably stops running or at least changes the way it runs. That may be enough to salvage FF
I frequently have two or more FF running with between 10 and 40 tabs each. I think it's good that does not crash it :lol:
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Post by red-e-made »

Husse wrote:I frequently have two or more FF running with between 10 and 40 tabs each. I think it's good that does not crash it :lol:
At least FF has the courtesy of restoring my tabs in the event of a crash.
It's a feature; not a bug, etc, hahahaha.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Definately have to agree, firefox is unstable lately. I've had luck fixing it by installing flash player from the adobe website. Get the Tar.Gz and install it. That seems to fix it for me.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Actually on the Flash tar.gz, just download it and unpack it. Then click the installer inside lol. Follow the directions on the Adobe site.

Return to “Beginner Questions”