Screen freezes

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Screen freezes

Post by locutus »

For a week or two, my screen freezes: all motion, my mouse cursor, the video I'm watching or game I'm playing, everything stops dead for about five to 10 seconds. Except sound. So when I'm watching a video the screen freezes but I can still hear dialog. Then it unfreezes and the video has to catch up to where the sound had led in the video. Very annoying.

Anybody know what causes it and, more importantly, how to fix it? Short of a complete reinstall?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Screen freezes

Post by MagnusB »

Have you made any changes with X recently? New driver, enabled compiz, edited xorg.conf? And what is your graphics card?
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

I have no separate graphics card. It's an MSI mobo K9N6GM-V, which has an integrated 256 Mb GeForce 6100 nForce 405 chipset.

I have not upgraded the driver or xorg.conf or anything. My system has been working so well that I was even thinking of not upgrading when the next version comes out. I'm *that* happy with it, and therefor not inclined to mess with it in any way. But the freezes are happening more and more often and in a 45 minute video I was watching this morning it must have frozen ten times. Compiz has been running, but always has; I didn't suddenly turn it on: it's always been on.

BTW: I should have mentioned I'm running the KDE version of Mint, in case that makes a difference.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

Any updates? Firefox running? FF seems to have been a bit buggy lately.
--Dean Martin
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

There have been a couple of updates lately but I forget what they were. I have nothing in my sources.lst that shouldn't be there except the wine repository. The AWN repository is also there but is #'ed out and has been for quite a while.

FF I agree has been buggy lately but is not running when this happens.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

It is hard to say what is going wrong, it might be related to the video drivers, might not. I would suggest taking a look at /var/log to see if any of the logs show anything of interest.
--Dean Martin
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

There's nine directories and gotta 50+ files there. Which should I be looking at?
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

messages, kern.log and the one concerning X which I don't remember the name, I would guess..
--Dean Martin
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

OK, those files are somewhat lengthy so I posted them here for you to view:
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=f211 ... 99e2450cf6
I hope the link works, I've never tried this before. Let me know if it doesn't.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

I didn't see anything out of the ordinary on any those, it might not contain the last lock though. I would suggest that you just look through them to get an idea of what is usual, then look at them shortly after a lock. If you have to reboot after the system locks, it gets easier to spot, just look for the last entries before last reboot.
--Dean Martin
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

Will do. So far I have not had to reboot. If I'm playing a game it rights itself after a few seconds of frozen screen, same with video: I miss 10 seconds of video (while audio keeps playing) then it's alright again after the pause.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

It sounds like a software issue, maybe some video rendering thingy, I'm stomped, though....
--Dean Martin
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

Well, thanks for trying! I'll keep an eye on those files, plus I'm re-installing mplayer (and its offshoots) and java (the game thats been giving me trouble is written in java) and I'll see what happens. Thanks again :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”