shutting off power management

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

shutting off power management

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

Ok - brand new Thinkpad R61 core duo chip and set all power mangement to off - to not do anything. plug mode, battery mode, no sleep, etc. when it runs on battery it gets so dark you cannot use it. anyway to tweak the settings within the software somehow. also - but less important - to get the volume and brightness buttons to work?

so far everything else works great but not fullt tested yet.

Thank you.

p.s. running Daryna and all updated.

addendum: it could be this stupid energy saver that IBM has installed. Maybe in the Bios or some such thing that keeps it out of the linux file system???
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Re: shutting off power management

just a bounce for any nibbles. I would love to get this fixed and basically that would mostly complete the mint on this laptop.
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Nibbles please --- CLEM HELP!!!!!!!!
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

still unsolved. Would love to get this fixed and my laptop would be almost complete for linux and Mint.

Thank you.
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
Husse

Post by Husse »

to get the volume and brightness buttons to work?
I found this
Did you use press the similarly colored Fn button in the lower left while pressing those buttons?
As for the low brightness on battery I have not found anything useful so far
What graphis card is it?
You can run lspci to find out
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Husse - Ok my stupidity for the fnct button on the brightness - that works - sorry my macbook pro i do not have to do that too. The sound - they are just sound volume buttons and there is no funct key useable. THAT does not work.

I can live without it due to adjust possible in the icon. But the battery brightness dimming to unusable level is the main problem so far. I need to get this working. Thanks Husse.
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
Husse

Post by Husse »

If you got the keys working - can't you "up" the brightness
I did not find anything particularly useful about that and as I don't have a thinkpad (or a HP or a...) I can't experiment
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

I understand and I appreciate all of your my friend. have the brightness icon in the top panel and that adjusts in plug mode but doesn't do anything in battery mode. Go Figure.

the sound buttons make the new little volume window go from left to right or right to left so you see the change but it doesn't trasnfer to the audio. Strange.

Thank you.

p.s. I just tried the brightness in battery mode and it does get brighter but cannot achieve the last step to final full brightness so that is better. Still weird behavior.

:D
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Husse - sorry forgot to do what you asked:
zen@zen:~$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 Memory Controller Hub (rev 0c)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)
00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82566MM Gigabit Network Connection (rev 03)
00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Contoller #4 (rev 03)
00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 03)
00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 03)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 03)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 3 (rev 03)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 4 (rev 03)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 5 (rev 03)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 03)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev f3)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801HBM (ICH8M-E) LPC Interface Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) IDE Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) SATA AHCI Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 03)
03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection (rev 02)
15:00.0 CardBus bridge: Ricoh Co Ltd RL5c476 II (rev ba)
15:00.1 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd R5C832 IEEE 1394 Controller (rev 04)
zen@zen:~$
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
Husse

Post by Husse »

Hey - do you exist in the forum as "zen mod" as well?
It's pretty standard Intel - normally works fine - no ideas now - sorry
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

No only graywizardlinux.

Ok - I just went into sound again and under default mixer tracks chose pcm - I did this before a couple of times but it never took. Did it this time and it works!!!!!!

from http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Installin ... inkPad_R61

Sound

Sound card drivers are loaded out of the box but the default sound device is Microphone for some reason. You can see this by opening up the Volume Control window by right clicking on the taskbar volume applet and selecting "Open Volume Control". Because of this the special Volume buttons will also change the volume of the Microphone. To change this, click on System-> Preferences -> Sound and set Default Mixer Track to PCM.

so this now works -

I have to check dvd and cd playback yet and also burning a cd.

Thanks for your concern and help Husse!!!
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!

Return to “Beginner Questions”