How to move the menu bar

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
jb99

How to move the menu bar

Post by jb99 »

I installed Mint Linux Debian edition and set up cinnamon.
It's working well except that my bottom menu bar (the panel?) is on the wrong monitor. It's on my second monitor which is small and out of the way and I'd prefer it on my main monitor.
Does anyone know how to move it? I can't find a way.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wdac

Re: How to move the menu bar

Post by wdac »

i got exactly the same problem.

Then I right clicked and went to the panels properties. There I removed the expand parameter. This allowed me to drag the panel over to the other screen. But it was too short .... so the next step was to expand the panel again on the external screen. Simple as that.
netwidget

Post by netwidget »

I have the same problem but when I right click on the panel I don't see a "Panel Properties" option, just settings. In settings there is no button remove expanding of the panel. I am lost here. I have 2 23 inch monitors the right monitor is turned 90 degrees (counter clockwize) to be verticle. the panel is on this monitor and I want to locate it on the left monitor (in landscape mode).
nenelson1981

Post by nenelson1981 »

I would highly suggest using a third party application such as Cairo Dock which can be obtained through Linux Mint software manager or alternately in the terminal with the following code:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install cairo-dock
it works well with my 21" LCD Monitor and 43" HDTV. Cairo Dock can be configured to switch to your secondary monitor when activated. Alternately you can attempt to move your cinnamon panel with this method:

1. Turn both your monitors on and verify both are working.
2. Open the Mint menu and choose Preferences>Displays.
3. Choose the monitor from the ones shown that has the Cinnamon panel on it.
4. Turn the switch to OFF.
5. Click Apply.
6. Voila. If everything went well you should see the cinnamon panel on your secondary monitor which has now become your Primary monitor.
7. Reactivate your other screen. It should come on, but the panel should stay on your screen of choice.
8. To Switch back to primary screen you just do the reverse or unplug monitor.

Hope this helpful. Have fun!

Return to “LMDE Archive”