Microsoft is Doomed

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
killer de bug

Re: Microsoft is Doomed

Post by killer de bug »

That is why we have pdf files...
realitykid

Post by realitykid »

killer de bug wrote:
realitykid wrote: It's an attached Word file.

Are you serious ???? :shock: In a Gnu/Linux forum, you posted a .docx file ??? :shock:
And you want people to speak with you ? As far as I am concerned, you started a flam war at the exact moment you posted a .docx... :roll:
Don't get offended so easily. Like I said, I'm not here to flame. I wrote the document in Office 2013, knowing full well that LibreOffice should be able to open it.
Aleenik

Post by Aleenik »

killer de bug wrote:
realitykid wrote: It's an attached Word file.

Are you serious ???? :shock: In a Gnu/Linux forum, you posted a .docx file ??? :shock:
And you want people to speak with you ? As far as I am concerned, you started a flam war at the exact moment you posted a .docx... :roll:
Getting offended over someone posting a .docx file? Pathetic. And the only person who is starting a flame war is you.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Let's all back off a bit and not make this personal.

Bashing other forum members or other operating systems is both not tolerated here. If you want to bash, open a terminal :)
daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk »

I see what you did there xenopeek :)

Long live windows and all its viruses I say, I'll keep upgrading mint thanks, enjoying the ride . . . . . . . :)
realitykid

Post by realitykid »

daveinuk wrote:I see what you did there xenopeek :)

Long live windows and all its viruses I say, I'll keep upgrading mint thanks, enjoying the ride . . . . . . . :)
I'm currently enjoying both. Windows 8 works well for my main OS. But I am enjoying Linux Mint Debian for my server. I definitely wouldn't trust Windows XP or any Windows variant on a server. And Mint Debian allows me to stay up to date without having to reinstall the OS - so I can remove the DVD -Rom drive from the old Pentium 4 server and replace it with another hard drive. That'll give me four hard drives in my file server.
daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk »

I was a little tongue in cheek about the viruses . . . . . I tend to think sometimes it's what a user does that gets them in trouble and not using common sense or finding anything out for themselves, I have XP on my desktop and have had for years, great OS and can't remember last time I had a virus . . . . . My transition to Linux will be full time once the support for that runs out, then I'll dual boot I think . . . . . . i don't intend to cross Mr Gate's palm with any more of my hard earned . . . . . and win 8 just does not appeal at all to me, reminds me of the unity furore :0 . . . . but each to their own eh . . . :|
realitykid

Post by realitykid »

daveinuk wrote:I was a little tongue in cheek about the viruses . . . . . I tend to think sometimes it's what a user does that gets them in trouble and not using common sense or finding anything out for themselves, I have XP on my desktop and have had for years, great OS and can't remember last time I had a virus . . . . . My transition to Linux will be full time once the support for that runs out, then I'll dual boot I think . . . . . . i don't intend to cross Mr Gate's palm with any more of my hard earned . . . . . and win 8 just does not appeal at all to me, reminds me of the unity furore :0 . . . . but each to their own eh . . . :|
The problem with Windows 8 and Unity is that the interfaces are so different from what people are used to that they are often rejected. But, once you get used to them they are not so bad. Of course, it still comes down to personal preference. Believe it or not, some people did like Vista.
guimaster

Post by guimaster »

lol @ Canonical.

Change for the sake of change is popular now-a-days.
guimaster

Post by guimaster »

Microsoft just made a big blunder with the XBox One! Uh, well they just fixed their blunder. But the damage has already been done, and the PS4 will win the next round of the console wars.

PC gaming is growing in popularity again. If Linux can capitalize on that, I think Microsoft is going to see a steady decline in market share. By 2020, if the American economy hasn't imploded by then and if the people still have liberties by that time, I think that Linux will be #1 in desktop market share. Desktops aren't going to go away, as much as the powers that be would like them to.
Lumikki

Post by Lumikki »

realitykid wrote:The problem with Windows 8 and Unity is that the interfaces are so different from what people are used to that they are often rejected. But, once you get used to them they are not so bad. Of course, it still comes down to personal preference. Believe it or not, some people did like Vista.
While I agree with this, there is more in this than personal preference.

Personal preference has high value when selecting desktop. But one of the main point is also desktops efficient use. Meaning how fast and less selection or movement you can do what you need to be done. This is where Windows 8 fails. Reason for it is that it's dual design with compromize as trying to make desktop use familar in every different kind of devices.

How ever same kind of UI in different kind of devices aren't equal efficient. If you are forced to use wrong kind of UI in device, then it's less efficient than use right one for the device. Example writing text message with mobile phone is less efficient than writing same text with PC's keyboard. If you would force mobile phones writing style in PC, it would work, but it would never be really good. That's Windows 8's problem, not understanding that every device need "best" possible UI for it and some common UI isn't most efficient way to handle devices.

So it's not just to get use to someting new, but is it actually better than old one. That choise is based everyone personal values, needs and design it self. That's why I would not say that people reject because it's different, but they can also reject because it's no better for them than old one. This isn't just try it will work, but also every people likes and value different stuff in they UI, as it's also how good and efficient the UI design works in that device.
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

I was trying to upgrade from Win3.11 to Linux years ago and couldn't figure it out at that time. Held out until the IP stopped supporting Win3.11 and at that time MS was pushing WinME, :mrgreen: As soon at I could I upgraded it to WinXP. Now using Win7 when I can't use Linux Mint. I don't know about going to an OS that uses touchscreens though. :roll: I was setting up my cousin's iPad the other day, at least half the time I couldn't get the touchpad to work with me, I had to resort to point and grunt and let him touch the screen, guess I'm half dead and can't be recognized. :mrgreen: I think I'll stick to a keyboard and mouse. :D
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

As you can see, Windows 8.1 is a fabulous improvement over Windows 8: http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/windows-8-1-beta.html
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Desktops aren't going to go away, as much as the powers that be would like them to.
something like that :o

anyway - the reviewer is probably right - M$ was never going to make any major changes. :shock:
- it's just a service pack release, which is about what I would have expected. .. ..
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

What I can't wrap my head around is that in the large consumers electronics outlets have only laptops with Windows 8 on show (okay, or OS X). It's a forced adoption of Windows 8. Some offer you, at a surcharge, to "upgrade" to Windows 7. You would think with the bad reception this operating system continues to get that Microsoft must be giving Windows 8 away for free to laptop manufacturers (okay, or as a monopolist forcing it upon them), and only making money right now from consumers paying to "upgrade" to Windows 7.

Dedoimedo doesn't hold back the punches in this review. Thanks for the link tdockery97. Just how bad commercial operating systems are for consumers is made clear in this review.
For you geeks, it will only get worse. [...] you will see yet more forced online integration and similar crap cropping everywhere.

Then, it will become subscription based [crap], with monthly fees and mandatory online checkins. Following the trend, you will get mandatory ads in every program, and it will be against whatever law or license agreement to remove them. You will not be able to install programs that were not preapproved by this or that company. And so forth. This is your bright future, and it will happen slowly, so that people do not resist violently.
trapperjohn

Post by trapperjohn »

What I can't wrap my head around is that in the large consumers electronics outlets have only laptops with Windows 8 on show
Yup, and soon (in my paranoid mind) they will be sold in a configuration that will only allow Windows to be installed. Currenty desktops can be custom built, but I have never heard of a (decent) custom built laptop. Time to stock-up on 2012 technology components and machines.
You will find yourself clicking ten times more buttons and options just to get what you could do so easily in the past...
I love that someone else gets this.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

We already knew Win8 sucks, but it seriously concerns me that cloud computing is being forced on Windows PC users. Choice is fine, being forced is not. Thank God for Linux.
gollum17

Post by gollum17 »

Amen to that I've already blacklisted Microsoft and all of their products. They continue this charge for everything crusade their on, and sooner or later people will open their eyes.

Sprint GS3 Running TN's Msg and Chubbs
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

To be fair, Apple and Google are leagues ahead of Microsoft on the cloud computing thing. Microsoft is just playing catchup.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

It's a forced adoption of Windows 8.
Some offer you, at a surcharge, to "upgrade" to Windows 7.
In just about any shop around here, you can't get Win_7 at all,
they just won't supply it .. ..

It's M$ 8 or OX v10 - or nothing, - nope, wrong on that, you can't get nothing either :(
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Return to “Open Chat”