Need fan speed software

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Need fan speed software

Post by lakehousetech »

Have you tried setting fan speed from within your BIOS? That would be the best place to start. Usually most modern BIOS will have power management and temperature control options so you can keep those vitals under 50c. I'll do a search as well to find monitoring and control software, but I have to tell you I have never come across anything of the sort. Good luck.

Oh, you might want to do a search on Sourceforge. There are many projects there, and you never know what you can find.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

That program is a pre-alpha so I would avoid if I were you. Might not be the most stable thing to be playing with your hardware. I've been looking around a little. There are some articles on running scripts with the lmsensors program (available in synaptic package manager) in Ubuntu which should work in Mint as well. I have never had any issues with slow fans, so I have no experience using this application. It might be a bit difficult if you are new to Linux. Have you thought about buying fans that run at a higher RPM?
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

Wesdog,

Your idea about a standard case fan is actually a good one. Arctic Cooling makes some really quiet ones that are not expensive. There are plenty you can get for under $10 (US). Those are the only case fans I use in my own builds. I usually pick them up from Newegg. Not sure where you are in the world or where you can shop, though.

A fan controller is also a decent investment. You can always move it to another machine in the future. I know this does not address the original issue of slow-turning fans, but it is an inexpensive workaround/enhancement.

On the Dell hardware I run (Dimension B110), I can actually hear the exhaust fan gradually spin up - especially during heavy flash/Java use or the MintUpdate I performed this morning. Eventually, it will gradually spin back down. This tells me that the Dell and Mint combo does indeed control the fan speed and cool down what is necessary. Sadly, GKrellM does not display the temps on any of the Dell hardware I have used, or I could give you some specifics.

None of my machines dual-boot or have any Windows software installed. They only run one OS. The ones running Mint have no problems with fan speed, so I am thinking it must be something not functioning as good as you need it with your motherboard/BIOS. Good luck, and please keep us updated as to how you get everything worked out.

Return to “Software & Applications”