Configure xfce menu on Mint 15 (solved)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
assistinside

Configure xfce menu on Mint 15 (solved)

Post by assistinside »

Hello, I'm new to the forum, migrating from Ubuntu to Mint.
I just installed Mint 15 XFCE... It's overall better than Xubuntu but I found some difficulties.

I removed Whisker and tried to use the standard menu... but can't find a way to configure it. I can't find the right configuration files. I'd like to set my favourite applications... and remove the "Lock Screen" command curiously placed between "Accessories" and "Graphics"...

Would you please help me?
Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nomko

Re: Configure xfce menu on Mint 15

Post by nomko »

You could install alacarte. With this tool you can edit your menu.
jsalpha2

Post by jsalpha2 »

Look at this thread [url]http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=110&t=109240[/url]
GeneBenson's post has the easiest solution for me.
assistinside

Post by assistinside »

@nomko
Yeah I tried Alacarte but it just lets you edit the standard menu, doesn't affect the mint menu.

@jsalpha2
I deleted the "lock screen" application from /usr/share/applications and it disappeared from the menu too.
Even the LXmenueditor seems a good choice, I'll try that if I want to customize more... but still, never thought customizing the xfce menu would be so hard... anyway, thanks!^^

Mmm.... do I have to close the topic now? :?:
jsalpha2

Post by jsalpha2 »

Deleting is rather permanent. If you might want to change it back, using the NoDisplay=true method works better. When you want to close a topic, go back to the original post, and edit the subject by adding (Solved) at the end. That way other people who have the same or similar questions who use the search function will know that your question was answered.
but still, never thought customizing the xfce menu would be so hard
its not really that hard and the people here are generally a helpful bunch. :D
MikeF90000

Post by MikeF90000 »

assistinside wrote:Hello, I'm new to the forum, migrating from Ubuntu to Mint.
I just installed Mint 15 XFCE... It's overall better than Xubuntu but I found some difficulties.

I removed Whisker and tried to use the standard menu... but can't find a way to configure it. I can't find the right configuration files. I'd like to set my favourite applications... and remove the "Lock Screen" command curiously placed between "Accessories" and "Graphics"...

Would you please help me?
Thanks
Just curious - why do you want to customize the 'default' menu?

After quite a bit of fussing with the above methods in the past, a large virtual signboard hit me in the face :-) which read 'Use The Panel'.
For me, one vertical panel gets launchers for 'every day' apps and a horizontal one for window buttons, workspace switcher and the rest.
The 'whisker' menu now gets 'secondary favorites' since they are two clicks away.
No icons on the desktop except for temporary objects.

With XFCE 4.10 you can go nuts on panels with multiple rows, deskbar mode, etc. but that's over the top for me.
assistinside

Post by assistinside »

@jsalpha2
Yes I'll use that, it's better, thanks!

@MikeF90000
I use the deafult menu because i like it to show by right-clicking on the desktop, in a very openbox way.

Return to “Xfce”