Mint 13 vs Mint 15

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Roger Bird

Mint 13 vs Mint 15

Post by Roger Bird »

Well, Maya is wonderful but Olivia has been a Bee Eye Tee Cee Ach. So, I have a few questions.

I installed Mint 15 with the KDE tag something or other. How do I find out if my Mint 13 was KDE? Is the KDE the front end graphical user interface thingie? I hate it. I am corresponding with you via my Mint 13. I love it. I installed Mint 15 because I thought that it would do better with streaming, which would crap out every 10 seconds or so and I would have to click and then click to make it work. Installing Mint 15 did not help any with that streaming problem.

It seems that now I have Windows 7, Mint 13, Mint 13 with valuable extentions, and Mint 15. Is that going to make me run out of space and if so what should I do about it; and how do I find out.

Is it possible that I should have used the 32 bit version of Mint 15? I could be typing this to you from my Mint 15, but I would still hate the graphical interface. I really don't have a problem with Mint15 per se. It is just the interface.

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,

Roger Bird
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Mint 13 vs Mint 15

Post by TBABill »

I don't know if you'll run out of space. You can take a look at your partitions and see how much you have available in each partition to find out.

If you don't like Mint KDE I would recommend installing another version. Download the iso and reinstall. There are several versions so you can run what you like most.
Roger Bird

Post by Roger Bird »

TBABill, how do I uninstall an entire operating system? And where do I go to look at usage in each partition?
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

You can use gparted to look at partitions and make changes, such as deleting, resizing or expanding partitions.

You don't have to delete an OS. Just install whatever you want to be running on the same partition(s) you are using now for the one you don't want. It'll take care of everything for you if you select the same partitions you did last time.
Roger Bird

Post by Roger Bird »

So, I had to download the 'gparted' command and got this:

"Root privileges are required for running gparted."

I don't know what that means, but I "cd .." until I got to the root directory and got the same error message. And this is where I am? Any ideas? I own this computer. I have a password with Linux Mint that works just fine. So what is the "Root privileges"?

I am also have trouble finding widgets or what Google calls gadgets. iGoogle is going away, and I want to go 100% open source and put gadgets on my desktop. I have been trying all day and haven't gotten anywhere except that I put some launchers on my Maya desktop, which really looks cool. (:->)

Roger
Reljoy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Reljoy »

I run gparted as a graphical application from the Mint menu. It asks me for my root password. Mint is set up so that your normal password is your root password. (someone will probably say I have oversimplified that).

If you are running it from a terminal (ie text mode), then put sudo before the command you want to run. Sudo makes it ask you for your password and then it will work. I do not know what sudo stands for. So if you type
sudo gparted
it should ask you for your password and then run gparted which has to run with root privileges as it is able to make changes to the partitions of your hard drive (or drives). This having to enter your password protects your computer.
Be very careful using gparted because you could potentially destroy your Windows 7 partition which would destroy Windows 7.

Someone else will probably give you clear instructions on how to identify what. I have been using Linux Mint for some years but I feel very much a beginner as soon as anything out of the ordinary happens.
Roger Bird

Post by Roger Bird »

Understand that I want to make Olivia with KDE go away. I want the partition back to Maya. I want the system to default to Maya when booting. I discovered that I have MATE with Maya, which I greatly prefer.

So, now I am looking at the graphical version of gparted. There is "dev/sda1 -- ntsf -- System Reserved -- 100 MiB" I presume that this is all the stuff that I see when the system is first booting and I have not yet chosen an operating system. Then comes "dev/sda2 -- ntsf -- " roughly 33% used. This must be the original accursed Windows 7. I don't want to get rid of Windows 7 just yet since I need it to print with my accursed Kodak lying printer. Then comes "dev/sda2 -- extended -- 188.44 GiB -- -- " At this point I cannot tell what is what. How do I tell? And after I tell, what can I do about it? Remember that I also want the boot-up to default to Maya like before I tried to install Olivia.

Thank you for your help before hand.

Roger Bird
Colorado Springs
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

"Then comes "dev/sda2 -- extended -- 188.44 GiB"

I would think it would be designated ext4 for filetype.
And should show that in gparted.
Roger Bird

Post by Roger Bird »

Orbmiser wrote: I would think it would be designated ext4 for filetype.
And should show that in gparted.
My graphical gparted does not show what is where. And even if it did, I do not see how to free up the space occupied by Olivia, and especially to do so while also altering the boot screen so that it does not try to execute Olivia (something that I want to do with a hand gun) by default. And I don't want to take a chance.

Any ideas?

Roger
Roger Bird

Post by Roger Bird »

I will be happy to just get rid of the KDE for Linux Mint 15 Olivia and replace it with MATE for Linux Mint 15 Olivia. Does anyone know how to do this?

Roger
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

delete

Return to “Beginner Questions”