Super Key open whisker menu ?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
steak1987

Super Key open whisker menu ?

Post by steak1987 »

How do I configure the keyboard shortcuts such that the windows/super key opens (and closes) the whisker menu ?

Linux Mint 15 (XFCE) on Dell D430.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
CaptainMark

Re: Super Key open whisker menu ?

Post by CaptainMark »

Snap. I've been googling around for this, I expect we wont be the only ones wondering. I've emailed the developer, if I get a response I'll post it here
sl0n

Post by sl0n »

+1

subscribing to the topic as I failed to google it =(
mintystark

Post by mintystark »

+1
steak1987

Post by steak1987 »

Is there any way we can raise a ticket, or is there any mint-brainstorm sort of forum where we could post this ? Maybe it would get more views there and somebody may have an answer.
CaptainMark

Post by CaptainMark »

Well the whisker menu is a third party app not made by Mint, I found the developer Graeme Gott on Github and asked him and this is what he said
Hi,

I'm pleased that you like the menu! Unfortunately, the currently
released stable version can not be opened by a keyboard shortcut.
However, the development version can, and I plan to make a stable
release (version 1.1) in a week or so that can as well.

I'm not sure when Mint will update the menu, because I'm not involved
with their development, but I have heard that my PPA works with Mint. If
they don't update it you can get the latest stable version from here:
https://launchpad.net/~gottcode/+archive/gcppa.

Cheers,
Graeme Gott
Once version 1.1 goes stable I will ask the Mint devs if they will update the repos, if not there is still a way round it at least
steak1987

Post by steak1987 »

Sweet, so lets take a look in about a week.....
CaptainMark

Post by CaptainMark »

Okay the update has gone live, you can download the deb from launchpad, (I couldn't get the ppa to work for some reason) then you can bind the command "xfce4-popup-whiskermenu" to any key combo (including super_L on its own)
steak1987

Post by steak1987 »

I may be sounding like a bit of an idiot, but where did you download the deb from ?

I cant figure it out:

https://launchpad.net/~gottcode/+archive/gcppa

Nothing special is needed, just double click --> install, or the usual dpkg -i ?

Also, for linux mint 15 (XFCE) which version would I need ? Saucy/raring/quantal/precise ?
palo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palo »

steak1987> Installing the new version is easy - follow the directions [url=http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?p=747854#p747854]here[/url]

Pat
steak1987

Post by steak1987 »

If you cant seem to get the updated packages, you can download them manually for linux mint 15 (32 bit) via here:

https://launchpadlibrarian.net/14710428 ... 1_i386.deb
rkmugen

Post by rkmugen »

I know I said this before about the "Applications Menu" plugin.... but it'd be great if either the next version of Whisker Menu or XFCE itself would let users bind stuff to the RELEASE (or letting-go) of a pressed super key. This has the added advantage of avoiding an unintentional pop-up of the Whisker Menu whenever the user presses a certain key stroke that involves holding down the super key and some other key. Just for reference, if you've ever used Windows, if you press and hold the Windows key,the menu won't show up until you let go of the Windows key.
batfastad

Post by batfastad »

rkmugen wrote:I know I said this before about the "Applications Menu" plugin.... but it'd be great if either the next version of Whisker Menu or XFCE itself would let users bind stuff to the RELEASE (or letting-go) of a pressed super key. This has the added advantage of avoiding an unintentional pop-up of the Whisker Menu whenever the user presses a certain key stroke that involves holding down the super key and some other key. Just for reference, if you've ever used Windows, if you press and hold the Windows key,the menu won't show up until you let go of the Windows key.
Apologies for the bump but this is an awesome suggestion! I realise this isn't the place to suggest features for XFCE but I will do anything I can to get this some attention!
I really like being able to bind stuff to the super key because applications generally leave it in the clear. I'm not a Windows fan but having used <super> to trigger the application menu and <super>+d to min/max all windows for 15+ years, not being able to configure these shortcuts makes things a bit more time consuming.
Rob Loach
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rob Loach »

Settings Manager -> Keyboard -> Application Shortcuts -> Add -> xfce4-popup-whiskermenu

I use <Super>space as my shortcut.

Return to “Xfce”