<SOLVED> Mint 15 KDE will not shut down or restart

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jules6490

<SOLVED> Mint 15 KDE will not shut down or restart

Post by Jules6490 »

Hello. I hope I'm posting in the correct forum. I'm a fairly recent newbie to Linux in past couple months (learning as fast as I can). I loved Mint 14 KDE and was excited to install the new Mint 15 KDE (32 bit) release this week. It's worked almost flawlessly except I noticed it started to randomly have problems when I clicked on restart or shut down options (whether I'm logged in to the desktop or logged out at the login page). I don't get any error messages or normal shut down messages. The screen just goes abruptly dark and my monitor powers down, saying no signal received (like it normally does when shutting down). But my computer is still running smoothly and quietly, as if I had never tried to restart or shut down. It just sits there and will not respond when pressing any keys. I have to either press the reset button on the desktop to do a hard restart or the power button for a hard shutdown. I'd say this happens 80-90% of the time I try to reboot or shut down now. I don't have any problems starting up or logging in, only shutting down to power completely off or reboot. I have a dual boot system with Win XP on main hdd and Mint KDE on 2nd hard drive. Windows is behaving normally. I never had this happen before with Mint 14 KDE, and I'm using the same setup. Any ideas on what's causing this/how to fix it? Thank you in advance for any help!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
poloshiao

Re: Mint 15 KDE will not shut down to turn off or restart

Post by poloshiao »

Try
1. login into desktop
close all running apps.
from terminal
sudo shutdown -P now # -P upper case
2. login into desktop
shutdown from tty1
close all running apps.
press alt + ctrl + F1 # go to tty1
login
sudo stop mdm
sudo shutdown -P now
3. login into desktop
from terminal
sudo cat /var/log/syslog
copy and paste it to
http://paste.ubuntu.com
paste the url here.
4. copy all error masseges
and paste to
paste the url here.
Jules6490

Post by Jules6490 »

poloshiao wrote:Try
1. login into desktop
close all running apps.
from terminal
sudo shutdown -P now # -P upper case
2. login into desktop
shutdown from tty1
close all running apps.
press alt + ctrl + F1 # go to tty1
login
sudo stop mdm
sudo shutdown -P now
3. login into desktop
from terminal
sudo cat /var/log/syslog
copy and paste it to
paste the url here.
4. copy all error masseges
and paste to
paste the url here.
I really appreciate your reply, but I'm afraid you're instructions in 1-3 lost me as I'm still kind of a newbie and not very good with Terminal yet, and not sure how to turn back on all these things you want me to shutdown. I don't suppose there's any easier way to figure this out? I know as a last resort I can always try re-formatting and re-installing mint 15 kde again to see if it solves the problem. I'm just hoping to avoid that if possible since it took a couple days to setup and tweak my system after the new install. Thank you for your help!
poloshiao

Post by poloshiao »

1. There is not any risk following those commands.
2. Every Button or menu item represent a command.
3. There are still most of the commands have no Button or menu item in the gui.
4. Command is more powerful in troublesome than gui.
Jules6490

Post by Jules6490 »

My apologies, I really do appreciate you're trying to help me. I still don't understand your instructions though. Maybe I should have posted in the newbie forum as I'm still mostly a newbie to using Terminal. Do you or anyone else have any other simpler ideas or tips I can try?
Snapcase

Post by Snapcase »

Maybe the Poloshiao's response is not too clear, but it's not that difficult. Close all running apps first, then open a terminal (Konsole) and type:

Code: Select all

sudo shutdown -P now
Another method is press and hold the keys Ctrl Alt F1 simultaneously and you'll get into tty1. You'll see a black screen with a slash similar to a terminal. A prompt will ask you for loging. Then type:

sudo stop mdm

sudo shutdown -P now
Parts 3 and 4 are for diagnosing and troubleshooting the problems.

Read this: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Pastebin
Jules6490

Post by Jules6490 »

Thank you, Snapcase, for clarifying what Poloshiao wanted me to do! When I tried the #1 code, it shutdown normally instead of going immediately to a blank screen. Feels like going to an auto mechanic with a problem and suddenly it works normally. So, I don't know if there are any signs of the problem in this log.
[url]http://paste.ubuntu.com/5923535/[/url]

I'm curious if anyone can see anything indicating whether this is a hardware or software glitch? I ask because since last night, I considered other possibilities (like re-installing Mint KDE or another version of Linux) in case I couldn't fix the problem, and tried a live DVD of Mint 15 xfce. I liked it, and am interested in installing Mint 15 xfce over my partition that contains Mint 15 KDE, to have a lighter system for my somewhat older computer since Mint 15 KDE is using more memory than version 14 did even after I disabled many of the programs I don't use. I do like Mint KDE and would like to try it again whenever I upgrade my hardware. But, if this turns out to be a hardware problem, then I suppose I would be in the same boat if I install Mint 15 xcfe?
poloshiao

Post by poloshiao »

1. Before you want to shutdown your PC, disconnect all your connection manually, close all apps, then
from the terminal
sudo shutdown -P now
To see whether it shutdown as expect or not.
Then reboot your PC
as 2.

2. All your data in this file
http://paste.ubuntu.com/5923535/
were crowded in one line.
It was hard to read.
To make it to be read easily by the following method :
From terminal
sudo cat /var/log/syslog
Then copy all output and paste it to
Then paste the url here.

3. Describe whether the shutdown as 1. process is as expect or not.
mank_in

Post by mank_in »

Maybe this post will help you : http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=56323
in KDE, kate is default text editor ,the command is :

sudo kate /etc/default/grub 
irishwoody

Post by irishwoody »

I had similar isue for past few mint verisions 14 and 15.

Problem is with Dell laptop.. my problem was I couldn't reboot - shutdown would work but reboot didn't. I dont know if this is the same issue or different issue you have.

The solution to my issue was as follows:-

sudo nano /etc/default/grub
Then find the line that looks like this: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
Change that line so it looks like this: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash reboot=pci "
Then save and exit nano

Finally run

sudo update-grub
Woody
Jules6490

Post by Jules6490 »

@Poloshiao: I'm sorry the download text didn't work. I followed your instructions using the commmands and clicked Select all, and copy/pasted the text exactly as it was shown into the paste bin box. I'm not sure why the website turned the text into a single long line of text? I didn't change any settings when doing that? Also, when I did sudo shutdown -P now the computer shut down normally instead of going to an immediate blank screen and hanging. But then, sometimes the OS will shut down or reboot normally. I never know if it will or not. I want to try the other two posters' suggestions to edit grub and see if that works. If not, I'll try your steps again and report back with another paste bin link. Thank you for your help!

@mank_in and Irishwoody: Thank you both for your suggestions and the link! I did search the forums before posting but missed that post, and didn't see anyone with the exact same problem I had. I guess I didn't search long enough. I will try your suggestions and report back.
Jules6490

Post by Jules6490 »

Update:
@mank_in and Irishwoody: I first tried what was suggested in the older post in the link, editing grub to add acpi_osi=Linux. At first I thought it worked as shutdown went normally, but after that, restarting and shutting down once again went to a blank screen and hung while the monitor shut down with no signal received message and the computer continued to run without shutting down or rebooting. So, I tried Irishwoody's tip next. This time when rebooting the screen went blank, but the monitor didn't shut down like before, and computer continued to run and didn't shut down. So, I re-edited and updated grub back to it's original settting. Next time I rebooted/shutdown it still went to blank screen like before. So, back to square one.

@poloshiao: I followed your steps again this time doing both #1 and #2.
1. The command sudo shutdown -P now resulted in normal shutdown. (The 2nd time this command resulted in normal shutdown.)
2. The command sudo stop mdm worked. Then the command sudo shutdown -P now resulted in a list of text which I tried to read, but then it shutdown so fast I didn't have time to read the text. The shutdown went normally without hanging.
3. I once again typed the command sudo cat /var/log/syslog and copy/pasted the text into the paste bin box. This time I saw Bash from the dropdown syntax list and chose that instead of Normal text, and text looks much more readable. I hope this helps and gives some useful info?
[url]http://paste.ubuntu.com/5926620/[/url]
Snapcase

Post by Snapcase »

I'm anything but an expert, but surely something's wrong with your sdb hard disk and/or your ATA bus. Doesn't it take a long while when booting as well? Normally at boot the systems check the HDs, if problems appear it usually takes a long while to boot. A problematic HD also uses to cause odd behaviors when the computer is running. No symptoms of that? Just when shuting down?
Jules6490

Post by Jules6490 »

Snapcase wrote:I'm anything but an expert, but surely something's wrong with your sdb hard disk and/or your ATA bus. Doesn't it take a long while when booting as well? Normally at boot the systems check the HDs, if problems appear it usually takes a long while to boot. A problematic HD also uses to cause odd behaviors when the computer is running. No symptoms of that? Just when shuting down?
Nope, booting up in Linux is quicker than booting into Windows XP, and Windows XP doesn't take that long. So far, there's been no signs of problems booting up, only when shutting down. And I haven't seen any odd behaviors when the computer is running. My best un-expert guess is that some background system program or file is taking too long to stop running or shutdown after the shut down/restart button is clicked. I could be wrong, of course. I also found it odd that the 2nd set of commands including stopping mdm before sudo shutdown -P now triggered what looked like a possible error message (too fast to read). It didn't give that same message when using only sudo shutdown -P now. I suppose it's possible I messed up something in the settings somewhere when setting up and tweaking the newly installed OS. I'm more curious than ever if I reformat the partition and install the new Mint xfce (that I would like to use) over it will solve the problem. If no one else has any ideas I will try it soon. Thanks again everyone for your help with this mystery!
poloshiao

Post by poloshiao »

1. There was a similiar case recently in [url=http://www.ubuntu-tw.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=290962#forumpost290962]ubuntu-tw.org forum[/url]

2. I found a bug report related to this problem
Bug #988394
Reboot hangs because /etc/rc6.d/S40umountfs chokes on non-existent mounts

3. I guessed the causes from /var/log/syslog and gave some suggestions.

4. The original poster found out a workaround method from these suggestions :
disconnect all network connections manually
then
sudo shutdown -P now
It shutdown normally.

5. The problem exits because
/etc/rc0.d/S40umountfs -> ../init.d/umountfs (execute when shutdown)
/etc/rc6.d/S40umountfs -> ../init.d/umountfs (execute when reboot)
have bug and can not finishing umounting process.
The result is that It makes you waiting for shutdown or reboot.

6. The causes of your problems maybe the same or different,
Try to disconnect or close all apps and service before you shutdown.

7. Your http://paste.ubuntu.com/5926620/ is easy to read now.
But It too short to contain all /var/log/syslog.
The max lines of your terminal is 512 by default.
You can enable the unlimit checkbox to cancel this limit from the edit / preference / rolling tag.
Then
sudo cat /var/log/syslog
and copy and paste again.
Jules6490

Post by Jules6490 »

Wow, thank you for all the research and info! I guess because I'm still learning my way around Linux OS's, when you said to disconnect network connections manually, I don't know how to do that other than to physically unplug the cable. I couldn't figure out how to disconnect from the networking interface app. And the only way I know how to close all open apps are the ones showing tabs at the bottom of the desktop in the taskbar. I hope that was enough.

For anyone who also needs to change the Konsole line limit, I couldn't find the max lines in terminal settings in the menu under Edit. There was no Preferences option listed. Instead I found it in the menu under Settings/Edit Current Profile/Scrolling. Then check the box Unlimited Scrollback.

Following the shutdown commands from steps 1 and 2 above, worked again. No problems with hanging on shutdown.

Here's the Pastebin link. I hope this helps. Thanks again!
[url]http://paste.ubuntu.com/5930050/[/url]
poloshiao

Post by poloshiao »

I couldn't figure out how to disconnect from the networking interface app.
Copy following line and paste it to terminal and execute it.

sudo dpkg -l | grep network-manager
paste the output here
http://paste.ubuntu.com/5930050/
line 26 # The log begins while booting
Jul 30 14:47:45 julia-desktop kernel: imklog 5.8.11, log source = /proc/kmsg started.

line 1067 # The log begins while booting again
Jul 30 14:52:10 julia-desktop kernel: imklog 5.8.11, log source = /proc/kmsg started.

So the lines from line 26 till line 1066 are logged during last booting-shutdown period.
copy these lines (between line 25 and line 1068) and paste it to a text file and save the file.

Find the above text file with keyword "fail" "error" "can't" "cannot" "can not' ... and so on
Browse whole text to find out any message implying unsuccess while booting or shutdown or rebooting.

Paste those lines here if you found out some hints but uncertain the way to resove it.
These lines may be or may be not related to the cause of not shutdown or reboot.
Wish you be so lucky to find out the workaround solution you want.
Jules6490

Post by Jules6490 »

After looking at the sys log for errors several times, I couldn't narrow it down to anything that looked like I could fix, so I gave up and went with my backup plan to delete Mint KDE and install Mint 15 XFCE over it.
So far, after a couple days of early testing, I haven't had any more problems with shutdown/restarting Mint. I guess it was a rare, random glitch that developed somehow in my Mint KDE install? Mint KDE ran just
fine when first installed, so I must have done something to mess it up.

Thank you again to everyone who replied. I learned a lot more than I expected from trying each of your suggestions and am more comfortable using Terminal now, although I'll still use it sparingly with caution,
until I'm more experienced with it. Even though the mystery was not solved, the shutdown/restart problem was (with the clean install). So, I guess I should mark this thread <Solved> ? :)
poloshiao

Re: <SOLVED> Mint 15 KDE will not shut down or restart

Post by poloshiao »

Never be frustrated.
It has been a confirmed Bug and not resolved till now.
It only gives you a practical example to know what bug means.
Jules6490

Re: <SOLVED> Mint 15 KDE will not shut down or restart

Post by Jules6490 »

Thank you, Poloshiao, for your encouragement. :) I'm happy everything's working smoothly again, and hopefully this thread may help anyone else with the same bug.

Return to “Software & Applications”