mounting..probably done to death but still stupid linux..

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
phill1978
Level 3
Level 3

mounting..probably done to death but still stupid linux..

Post by phill1978 »

Ok,
I know this might have some people pull their hair out but I cant for the life of me understand the logic here and why linux works this way v windows.

(waits for a collective sigh) ..

Automounting HDD's ! yup, why is this such a pig for me? Well given the huge expense of SSD's and there really small size (64gb / 128gb) when I want to watch a video or listen to some of my extensive music catalogue I (and any other modern OS user will have a large mechanical disc) would love to be able to just click play in clementine and bam all my music just magically plays like in windows and pretty much any other operating system since the Amiga has done with internal sata drives !

Now, im not having a rant it might be clementine thats stupid (although isnt it based off Amorak ??) but it does seem weird beyond reason.

My setup: Mint 15 KDE (latest and greatest) / 32gb SSD OS drive Ext4 / 2 x HDD as storage running Ext4 also. So yup, very simple setup.What i had been led to belive is that the whole auto mount thing was because previously my drives were NTFS (as i have finally migrated from running windows 7 nativley) and so i have formatted these drives to a more usable filesystem for linux.. now on XCFE there is a 'mount and open' dialogue but on KDE i used to just percieve a slight delay and some spin up.. but it doesnt actually seem like they need mounting? they are present on boot and are not greyed.. if i right click i can 'unmount'

On clicking them in Dolphin they all of a sudden allow clementine to play music.. same behaviour as being unmounted in the first place

Ok, So i can run some scripts, created mount folders somewhere and do the do to get it working ,perhaps even install a program just to help me mount them. But seriously guys this is a bit retarded (as in backwards, not insulting). The whole idea of an internally attached HDD is that its imediatley accesable on boot and does not need a helping hand, all media applications require the disc mounted before they can pull media.

i guess il be on my own with this one? at least give people a freaking tick box to sort this out for people. I know linux was a hobbyiest OS but not anymore some people want to get on with things without writing scripts for the most basic functionality in 2013

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Re: mounting..probably done to death but still stupid linux.

Post by altair4 »

You are given the opportunity at install time to have all these non-system partitions automatically mount at boot time.

It won't do it by itself of course since it will ask you if you want it formatted ( or re-formatted ), what the filesystem type is, and where you want it mounted. Where you want it mounted has consequences however since something mounted to /media or $HOME on most desktops creates mount icons on the desktop whereas something mounted to /mnt or anywhere else does not.

For better or worse Linux patterned itself after UNIX. UNIX was ( is ) a server OS. Linux like UNIX assumes the administrator of the box knows what he's doing and doesn't try to out guess or predict his/her intent.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

uzername
Level 3
Level 3

Post by uzername »

It's called fstab. ;-)

Code: Select all

man fstab
Linux counter #317716

phill1978
Level 3
Level 3

Post by phill1978 »

uzername wrote:It's called fstab. ;-)

Code: Select all

man fstab
ohh, i can do it. It just something i dont feel you should have to do when adding a new disc to the system :?

I suppose it wasnt going to get much love here lol

eanfrid
Level 7
Level 7

Post by eanfrid »

A basic install sets up an initial basic fstab with basic options when you first install your OS. Later, it is up to the admin (you) to further tune the fstab and add the lines required for additional mount points and options tweaking. Windows can also make use of mount points but most users are not even aware of this and partition/format their drives, only adding piles of lettered "volumes" beyond C: ... The dumb and easy way...
Main desktop: Debian GNU/Linux Jessie 64bit - MATE
(i5 2400@3.7GHz - 16GB DDR3 - HD6770 w/radeon driver - SSD+RAID1)
Safer than Dropbox

phill1978
Level 3
Level 3

Post by phill1978 »

altair4 wrote:You are given the opportunity at install time to have all these non-system partitions automatically mount at boot time.
must of missed that option just installed cinnamon fresh with both discs in as EXT4 and a separate boot drive as EXT4 also, still have to mount?

ohh well il just fstab then..

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 »

phill1978 wrote:
altair4 wrote:You are given the opportunity at install time to have all these non-system partitions automatically mount at boot time.
must of missed that option just installed cinnamon fresh with both discs in as EXT4 and a separate boot drive as EXT4 also, still have to mount?

ohh well il just fstab then..
Select Something Else:
SomethingElse.png
Then select the filesystem, formatted or not box, and mount point:
SomethingElse2.png
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Return to “Software & Applications”