[Solved] 32bit PC died with LM14. Can I copy this to new 64bit PC

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RytronII
Level 4
Level 4

[Solved] 32bit PC died with LM14. Can I copy this to new 64bit PC

Post by RytronII »

Hi.

My old PC bit the dust recently (seems like the PSU went). It was 32-bit and had LM 14. As it stands, I cannot access any of the data on it. When I get a new PC (64-bit), can I mount the drive and copy over the data onto the new HDD?

Upon setting up LM 14, I checked the box 'encrypt home folder' option (the final step where you enter Username and Password). Will this be a problem?

I guess the other option is a HDD dock or USB~SATA cable but I'd rather not get that if it's not necessary.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse: "Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it."
nomko

Re: 32bit PC died with LM14. Can I copy this to new 64bit PC

Post by nomko »

Well....my advice is only copy important stuff to your new hard drive and not the whole drive. Main reason is the difference between both systems (old and new) in hardware. So, best is to install Mint new/fresh/clean and only copy all your important files from the old drive to the new drive.
kwisher

Post by kwisher »

RytronII wrote:Hi.

My old PC bit the dust recently (seems like the PSU went). It was 32-bit and had LM 14. As it stands, I cannot access any of the data on it. When I get a new PC (64-bit), can I mount the drive and copy over the data onto the new HDD?

Upon setting up LM 14, I checked the box 'encrypt home folder' option (the final step where you enter Username and Password). Will this be a problem?

I guess the other option is a HDD dock or USB~SATA cable but I'd rather not get that if it's not necessary.
Why not just replace the bad PSU? Or are you just ready for a new PC anyways? Not sure about being able to access the files from an encrypted home directory??? You should be able to put your drive into the new PC and boot to it to gain access to your encrypted files.
Last edited by kwisher on Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
RytronII
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RytronII »

kwisher wrote:Why not just replace the bad PSU? Or are just ready for anew PC anyways? Not sure about being able to access the files from an encrypted home directory??? You should be able to put your drive into the new PC and boot to it to gain access to your encrypted files.
The PC is over 6 years old and a new PC would bring many many improvements. Yes, logging in should allow me to copy and paste the files onto the new HDD or even onto an external HDD.

This is my old HDD: http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Seagate-Barracuda-7200-10-500-GB-Internal-7200-RPM-3-5-ST3500630AS-Hard-Drive-/69786351
Will that still be compatible with power + data connectors on a new PC?

Cheers.
nomko

Post by nomko »

Depends on the connections of the motherboard in your new computer. Which brand/model motherboard will you get in your new system?
RytronII
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RytronII »

nomko wrote:Depends on the connections of the motherboard in your new computer. Which brand/model motherboard will you get in your new system?
Not sure, I'm considering getting this: http://www.komplett.ie/komplett/product/zkb_02pc/80008870/ap_stinger_iii/details.aspx
kwisher

Post by kwisher »

RytronII wrote:
kwisher wrote:Why not just replace the bad PSU? Or are just ready for anew PC anyways? Not sure about being able to access the files from an encrypted home directory??? You should be able to put your drive into the new PC and boot to it to gain access to your encrypted files.
The PC is over 6 years old and a new PC would bring many many improvements. Yes, logging in should allow me to copy and paste the files onto the new HDD or even onto an external HDD.

This is my old HDD: http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Seagate-Barracuda-7200-10-500-GB-Internal-7200-RPM-3-5-ST3500630AS-Hard-Drive-/69786351
Will that still be compatible with power + data connectors on a new PC?

Cheers.
It appears the drive from your dead PC has SATA connections so you should not have any issues connecting it to the new system and booting from it.
RytronII
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RytronII »

I cannot log into the old HDD due an xserver problem.

I got the new PC and it accommodates my old HDD without problems. I followed this guide: http://www.ubuntugeek.com/recover-your-encrypted-private-directory-using-ecryptfs-recover-private.html and got to the part where it is mounted in /tmp but cannot copy the data to my external HDD due to permission problem.

Please help! :? :?:
kwisher

Post by kwisher »

RytronII wrote:I cannot log into the old HDD due an xserver problem.

I got the new PC and it accommodates my old HDD without problems. I followed this guide: http://www.ubuntugeek.com/recover-your-encrypted-private-directory-using-ecryptfs-recover-private.html and got to the part where it is mounted in /tmp but cannot copy the data to my external HDD due to permission problem.

Please help! :? :?:
Will it boot to a command prompt from the old drive? If so and you can get logged in with your user credentials, you should be able to copy your personal data to another drive using some command line foo. I do believe you stated in your original post that you encrypted your /home. This is probably the reason you cannot mount the drive and copy files, but I'm not sure about this as I've never encountered an encrypted /home.
RytronII
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RytronII »

I booted from a live ISO via USB and ran these to copy all files from the old HDD to my Ext. HDD.

Code: Select all

sudo cp * [src] [dest]
and

Code: Select all

sudo cp .* [src] [dest]
:idea:

Return to “Storage”