[Solved] Cannot install mysql with the software manager

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Åbjørn
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] Cannot install mysql with the software manager

Post by Åbjørn »

Hello,

I've always succeeded in installing software with the download manager on Mint 13 but I'm having an extraordinary hard time installing mysql. I need both the server and the client and there are metapackages for them. The problem is that these packages are 100kb and do not install any other packages so I installed those with server , client, core and commons in their names although most of them are 0kb.
Of course it didn't work and all I could get is an error message ( about a connection issue ) when typing "mysql" in the terminal, proof that something was installed but not the complete program.

I uninstalled everything and would like to know if there's an easy way to install mysql. There should be one as there are metapackages and everything but it seems void of any dependency. These 0kb packages puzzle me so any help would be greatly appreciated. Also when I uninstalled the packages the software manager warn me that it would uninstall other mysql packages but did not so I think there's something wrong with the link between the packages.
Last edited by Åbjørn on Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Cannot install mysql with the software manager

Post by WharfRat »

Åbjørn,

as far as I can see, the meta package mysql-server should install mysql-server-5.5 which should install mysql-client-5.5 and a number of other dependencies.

Doing a simulated apt-get install mysql-server yeilds:

Code: Select all

The following extra packages will be installed:
  libaio1 libdbd-mysql-perl libdbi-perl libhtml-template-perl libmysqlclient18 libnet-daemon-perl libplrpc-perl libterm-readkey-perl mysql-client-5.5 mysql-client-core-5.5 mysql-common mysql-server-5.5
  mysql-server-core-5.5
maybe install it from the cl with

sudo apt-get install mysql-server
Good luck :wink:
ImageImage
Åbjørn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Åbjørn »

Hello Wharfrat,

I think I'll use the command line instead, I don't trust the software manager anymore. After rebooting it seemed to work again but I now have the same error as before. Just for the record it is:

ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)
Indeed, this file doesn't exist.

It didn't mentioned libaio1 either so this one is not installed.
z1p101
Level 1
Level 1

Post by z1p101 »

Installing mySQL from repos has given a lot people headaches lately and it is not only on Debian based sysems. Many distros package management systems are adding MariaDB as a alternative. It uses the same commands/tools/files as mySQL and is built from the same source code.

Adding repo info.
WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat »

Åbjørn,

It appears that your repo version has some kind of problem because I just installed it to see what's going on and it worked fine.

bill@mint ~ $ mysql
Welcome to the MySQL monitor.  Commands end with ; or \g.
Your MySQL connection id is 43
Server version: 5.5.32-0ubuntu0.13.04.1 (Ubuntu)

Copyright (c) 2000, 2013, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.

Oracle is a registered trademark of Oracle Corporation and/or its
affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective
owners.

Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the current input statement.

mysql> \q
Bye
Maybe try what z1p101 suggested.

Good luck :wink:
ImageImage
Åbjørn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Åbjørn »

Thank you WharfRat and z1p101, I didn't know about MariaDB but it works perfectly well. I don't know what went wrong with mysql but I don't need it anymore :D

Return to “Newbie Questions”