New version of Xfce's Whisker menu!

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

New version of Xfce's Whisker menu!

Post by xenopeek »

If you have been using Linux Mint 15 Xfce, you will have been surprised (pleasantly hopefully :)) by the new default Whisker menu. There is now a new version available with many improvements, see the post here: http://www.webupd8.org/2013/07/whisker-menu-update-brings-support-for.html

To install it now on Linux Mint 15 Xfce, open Software Sources, click the PPAs button and add the PPA ppa:gottcode/gcppa. Then run the command:

Code: Select all

gksudo gedit /etc/apt/preferences
and add the following three lines at the end of this file (this is needed to give the PPA just added equal priority as the Linux Mint repository):

Package: *
Pin: release o=LP-PPA-gottcode-gcppa
Pin-Priority: 700
Save and close the file. Open Update Manager and you should see the upgrade for the package xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin available (or click the Refresh button there).

After upgrading either log out and in again, or run the following command to restart the panel:

xfce4-panel --restart
Enjoy the improvements :D First thing I did was add the word "Menu" to the menu button to make it a bit bigger. The list of improvements is on the above link.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
palo
Level 4
Level 4

Re: New version of Xfce's Whisker menu!

Post by palo »

Thanks for the info - it sounded promising. One problem with the update though is that the theme gets lost and it reverts to the Default theme look for categories :cry:
WhiskerUpdate.png
Is there any solution to that?

Pat
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I hadn't noticed that, so I'm not sure. Where does the theme from Whisker menu come from?
palo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palo »

In the comment area of [url=http://gottcode.wordpress.com/2013/07/25/whisker-menu-1-1-0-released/]Graeme's Blog[/url] there is this remark;
@wchouser3 It already uses your GTK theme, as it is just regular GTK widgets. If you mean use the styling for menus, that would be impossible to do properly. It isn’t a GtkMenu, it is a GtkWindow with a bunch of child widgets, and trying to apply the styling of a GtkMenu would be a major hack that would most likely not work. Instead, in the git version I have added a widget name (whiskermenu-window) which will allow GTK themes to style Whisker Menu.
I'm not sure there is a solution in that but it was fine with the version that came in the tin.

Pat

Update: The theme changes do take on the Menu - it just does not accept Mint-X anymore :(
palo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palo »

I'm guessing (really guessing) from this entry on GitHub here that a change had to be made to the Mint-X theme for Whisker. If that is the case it would seem that it would still hold for the new version but maybe someone can shed light. The new menu is nice so far with the hover option.

Pat
steak1987

Post by steak1987 »

If you cant seem to get the updated packages, you can download them manually for linux mint 15 (32 bit) via here:

https://launchpadlibrarian.net/14710428 ... 1_i386.deb
jdhedden

Post by jdhedden »

I was able to fix the button theme issue with the following patch:

--- /usr/share/themes/Mint-X/gtk-2.0/gtkrc-orig	2013-08-23 23:43:49.286959076 -0400
+++ /usr/share/themes/Mint-X/gtk-2.0/gtkrc	2013-08-23 23:43:58.822958824 -0400
@@ -400,7 +400,7 @@
 widget_class "GtkWindow.GtkVBox.GtkHPaned.GtkVBox.GtkTable.GtkRadioButton"	style:highest "button"

#fix for whiskermenu
-widget_class "GtkWindow.GtkFrame.GtkVBox.GtkHBox.GtkVBox.GtkRadioButton"	style:highest "button"
+widget "*whiskermenu-window.*.GtkRadioButton"	style:highest "button"

include "Apps/nautilus.rc"
 include "Apps/caja.rc"
Does anyone know of a better place to put this? I tried putting it in ~/.gtkrc-2.0, but that didn't work.
palo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palo »

jdhedden wrote:I was able to fix the button theme issue with the following patch:

--- /usr/share/themes/Mint-X/gtk-2.0/gtkrc-orig	2013-08-23 23:43:49.286959076 -0400
+++ /usr/share/themes/Mint-X/gtk-2.0/gtkrc	2013-08-23 23:43:58.822958824 -0400
@@ -400,7 +400,7 @@
 widget_class "GtkWindow.GtkVBox.GtkHPaned.GtkVBox.GtkTable.GtkRadioButton"	style:highest "button"

#fix for whiskermenu
-widget_class "GtkWindow.GtkFrame.GtkVBox.GtkHBox.GtkVBox.GtkRadioButton"	style:highest "button"
+widget "*whiskermenu-window.*.GtkRadioButton"	style:highest "button"

include "Apps/nautilus.rc"
 include "Apps/caja.rc"
Does anyone know of a better place to put this? I tried putting it in ~/.gtkrc-2.0, but that didn't work.
Fantabulous :)

I played with this a bit and got it to work:

gksudo gedit /usr/share/themes/Mint-X/gtk-2.0/gtkrc
Go to line ~403 where the fix is then add another line with

widget "*whiskermenu-window.*.GtkRadioButton"   style:highest "button"
So it looks like this:

#fix for whiskermenu
widget_class "GtkWindow.GtkFrame.GtkVBox.GtkHBox.GtkVBox.GtkRadioButton"   style:highest "button"
widget "*whiskermenu-window.*.GtkRadioButton"   style:highest "button"
Save and restart menu with:

xfce4-panel --restart
Let me know how you make out.

Pat
bobafetthotmail

Post by bobafetthotmail »

Awesome!

The fix works here! :mrgreen:

Return to “Chat about Linux”