"Cannot mount volume"

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fred

Re: "Cannot mount volume"

Post by Fred »

shadow84 wrote:
I plugin my ext. HDD and get this message..
Is there something wrong with my HDD?
I know my eyes are getting bad, but I don't see a message. Sorry.

Fred
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Acid_1 »

Okay, I'm assuming that it's an internal hdd, and not an extended partition. First off, you need to properly shut down Windows if you're trying to mount an NTFS partition. Try then. Sometimes it still won't work, like if you've formatted a partition with Windows 2000 or ME. In which case, I am assuming you're using Mint as a second partition, but who knows. Type in:

Code: Select all

sudo fdisk -l
(that's an l, like the 12th letter in the alphabet, not an I.)

For me it is:
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 6062 48692983+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 6063 7296 9912105 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 7112 7296 1485981 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda6 6063 7111 8426029+ 83 Linux
I would want to mount the first one, cause that's where all my music and stuff is, so the code is:

sudo mount /dev/sda1
and to unmount it it is (and there is no typo's):

sudo umount /dev/sda1
Anyhow, hope you understood that. Good luck :twisted: :twisted: :mrgreen:
Fred

Post by Fred »

To add to Acid_1's advice, make sure that you have a folder in /media for the NTFS partition. ie /media/sdxx . Also check in /etc/fstab and make sure there is an entry there for your NTFS partition. The folder name of the mount point should match with the one in /media.

Fred

Return to “Beginner Questions”