Network transfer stalls when I select multiple files

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
z120pi

Network transfer stalls when I select multiple files

Post by z120pi »

I have my IBM T-43 running Mint 14 networked with my Windows 8 machine and cannot transfer more than one file at a time from Win 8 to Linux. When I try to copy a group of files or a folder with more than one file from the Windows machine the first file makes it through but then the transfer stalls. The progress bar freezes and nothing further happens even if I try to abort the transfer. The second file appears to show up at the destination but it has zero size. The only way I have found to recover is to kill the process. This problem happens with both wireless and wired network connections. File size doesn't seem to matter - a single huge file copies just fine. If use my Windows machine to copy a group of files from the Linux machine to Windows the transfer works fine as well. An suggestions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BrowserXL

Re: Network transfer stalls when I select multiple files

Post by BrowserXL »

Might be using cannons on insignificant targets but I would use Wireshark or tcpdump to have a look at the networktraffic while multiple files are transferred. Maybe the smb status notes give some hints what happens there.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

If the file manager turns out to be the problem, you might want to consider an FTP transfer, there are many ftp GUI apps available

You may also want to consider better file managers that are available
--I tried Gnome commander, since it was a GUI(desktop) based file manager, but it tended to freeze at various points when working with files across other directories
--so I might want to use Midnight Commander instead, it is a good/fast ncurses based file manager, and I expect will do a better job than Nautiis or Thunur (defaults for Ubuntu/Mint versions..)
https://www.linux.com/news/software/app ... -for-linux
http://www.midnight-commander.org/
http://trembath.co.za/mctutorial.html

Some versions of Mint used a fork of Nautilis: aka Nemo
--don't know how that one performs..
http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/?p=198
z120pi

Post by z120pi »

Here is some new info on my problem with tranfering multiple files over the network from Windows 8. I changed the permissions on the linux destination folder and sent multiple files from windows to linux without any problems. Yet when I invoke the transfer from the linux machine the transfer stalls. The progress bar window remains open showing the transfer not complete. If I xkill the progress window, which also seems to reset the desktop, I cannot unmount the network share because of and unknown process running. The PID of this process does not show up in the ps -ejH command results. The only way I can clear this is by rebooting. If I click the cancel button on the progress bar, then xkill the window an unmount attempt fails because caja is busy. This is very confusing.

As another experiment I installed cifs and mounted my Windows share from the terminal. Using the cp command I was able to copy multiple files from Windows to linux without any problems. Why does multiple file transfer invoked from the terminal work while caja fails?
artifice

Post by artifice »

Having the same problem when copying files across the network with Nemo from a CIFS mounted windows 7 pro machine to my cinnamon laptop on a hardwired network connection. Testing with a batch of 200 files of approx 1MB each, the transfer stalls several times. If I leave the transfer running, it will finally complete after about 15-20 minutes, having stalled as many as 5 times before it finally finishes.

It's happening again right now with a transfer of 353 files of approx 20KB each. A total of 8.8MB.. it's stalled right now at 1.1MB.. now stalled again at 1.5MB for the last 5 minutes... Now it jumped up to 26%.. 2.4MB.. and stalled again.. This is ridiculous.
SilFox
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SilFox »

Same problem here. Installed Mint 15 Cinnamon x64 cause I taught this "copying multiple files from [url=http://techgage.com/article/d-link_dns-323_nas/]network storage drive[/url] freezing" will not impact it.
But, I was wrong.
And especialy this is very annoying:
The progress bar window remains open showing the transfer not complete. If I xkill the progress window, which also seems to reset the desktop, I cannot unmount the network share because of and unknown process running. The PID of this process does not show up in the ps -ejH command results. The only way I can clear this is by rebooting. If I click the cancel button on the progress bar, then xkill the window an unmount attempt fails because caja is busy. This is very confusing.
So far I discovered that:
- when I am copying (with Nemo, or Thunar, or Caja), for example, an dvd.iso image of 4 GB size, copying from network drive goes OK
- when I am copying folder, for example, size of 10 MB, with many subfolders and hundred of subfiles, it freezes
- tested with: Debian Jessie x64 XFCE (with or without firmware-realtek), Debian Jessie x64 MATE, Arch Linux x64 MATE, Arch Linux x64 XFCE, Mint 15 Cinnamon x64 ; all freezes on that;
Now, interesting part:
- tested with Debian Jessie x64 KDE, Arch Linux x64 KDE copying same 10 MB folder mentioned above ==> NO freezing; file transfer successfuly finished.
Through my limited knowledge I noticed that one of main difference is that KDE uses smb4k, and XFCE and Cinnamon and Mate use gvfs for that operations.
So far I have been unable to find some output with clue to what is happening.

Also, I am trying to avoid use of KDE because it have notable impact on gaming, especialy games runing from wine.

Specs:
Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 03) [ethernet is on motherboard MSI 770T-C45], AMD Athlon II X2 3.4, 4GB RAM, nVidia GF GTX280, HDD 1TB, with Win 7 and a few Linux distros on it .
SilFox
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SilFox »

More testing results:
CrunchBang 11 Waldorf x64 [openbox , Thunar] - Works OK
Peppermint (4) OS x64 [kind of Lubuntu modification with PCmanFM as file browser; great BTW] - Works OK
Mint 13 Maya x64 Cinnamon (with updates) - Works OK

So, I will stay with Maya, it is an LTS release anyway. Just hope that some future update will not bring up this network problem again.
sosaudio1

Post by sosaudio1 »

SilFox wrote:More testing results:
CrunchBang 11 Waldorf x64 [openbox , Thunar] - Works OK
Peppermint (4) OS x64 [kind of Lubuntu modification with PCmanFM as file browser; great BTW] - Works OK
Mint 13 Maya x64 Cinnamon (with updates) - Works OK

So, I will stay with Maya, it is an LTS release anyway. Just hope that some future update will not bring up this network problem again.
Noticing the same problems....I think it works with Nautilus but it stalls using Nemo. This is when transferring...as noted above to a network drive with DVD.iso files

Mint 14 64bit

Kernel 3.5.0-17 generic
Geezheeztall

Post by Geezheeztall »

I'm also experiencing this problem. If I were to copy a directory off my CentOS media server to my Mint 15 install, only a few files would transfer to the laptop. Most are left behind with a progress bar left stalled at 6-7% to xkill

It isn't limited to this distribution. Also Ubuntu 13.04 x64 and Fedora 19 64 bit, did the same on that laptop, not changing if I were to use wire or an alternate USB wireless-N device.
ugaphred

Post by ugaphred »

I've also been problems copying from network storage since I switched from LM14 to LM15 (Tried to switch back but latest LM14 also gives me the problem now too).
I've been copying my backup off the Drobo from my Windows machine to an external HD then putting on LM from there without trouble (just extra time and nuisance).
Has anyone had better luck with a different file manager? It seems like it might be a bug in Caja right now.
ububradda

Post by ububradda »

Pretty sure I'm having this problem as well.

LM 15, using Nemo, copying from LM 14. Tried transfer from both directions, both stall out fairly quickly, originally was getting around 2g before stall, now down to 14mb.

It's from and to 3g drives formatted under NTFS (long story).

edit: both LM systems are using Nemo.

edit2: ubuntu 13.04 not showing this symptom at all, can copy from either volume to itself
aarcher

Post by aarcher »

Having this problem as well... Anyone ever find a resolution? I'm running mint 14 in virtualbox trying to copy from windows server 2003 smb share.
Volunteer4F
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Volunteer4F »

I have LMDE update 7 now it is 2014/1/24
I have the same problem that frances123 explained the best way possible.
it is disappointing , still not resolved
TG12

Post by TG12 »

I am also suffering from this issue. It occurs on the LMDE and LM16. Very very frustrating.....I want to restore my backup on a Windows share but cant do it.
I may have to boot a live CD of another linux distro and then copy the files over that way.....
_liam

Post by _liam »

Still a bug on Mint 17
I was transferring some folders from a mac laptop over gigabit Ethernet (point to point link).
Browsing the share at the same time was enough to bring the whole of Caja to a grinding halt.
Testing revealed it was 100% reproducible, and acted like a 'deadlock' but I didn’t have the tools on the system to investigate it further.
I gave it about half an hour to try and self-recover, but it never did.
I also got the "in use by unknown process (pid of killed Caja instance) when attempting to unmount the share.
Also possibly related, having the network link drop (while browsing or copying) caused the same behaviour (i.e. 'locked up' file browser).
edit: spelling
Last edited by _liam on Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
RhyvenNZ

Post by RhyvenNZ »

+1 here.

Running LMDE 201403 with all updates, Cinnamon v2.0.14.

Copying the first four files from an SMB drive works fine, then it hangs in the same manner as described above. Anyone filed a bug for this?
RhyvenNZ

Post by RhyvenNZ »

Update - the problem disappears if you mount the remote drive in the command line, using cifs. For example: mount -t cifs -o username=USERNAME,password=PASSWD //192.168.1.88/shares /mnt/share
Ghostbird

Post by Ghostbird »

I don't know whether this is the same bug, but when I try to copy stuff from my Nexus (MTP is bollocks) the transfer never starts, unless I select one file for the transfer in nemo.
I had to copy my data using wget which was quite a bit more complex—though actually fun to do for a change—and I don't want to have to do that every time.
To copy a floder I used:
cd <target folder>
wget -m -nH --cut-dirs=1 --user xxxx --password xxxx ftp://192.168.2.26:3721/xxx/xxx

Return to “Networking”