Baddies - Border Patrol USA

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Baddies - Border Patrol USA

Post by lakehousetech »

Yeah I just read this article posted in the Mint newsletter about the border patrol now given the ok to search and seize travelers computers (including mobile devices) during the checkpoint. I am a frequent traveler between Toronto to NY since I am still waiting for residency in Canada before I can move up permanently. I'm outraged at how bad this is getting! It's bad enough when I come back from Canada to get detained for questioning every other visit for reasons I can't understand, but now they can be even more invasive? confused? Things are bad enough in the US right now considering we have possibly the worst president in world history with still more than a half a year left in office. Perhaps after we spend another trillion dollars on the supposed 'war on terror' we can dump whatever is remaining into the dept of homeland security so they can make life more miserable for frequent travelers. I have heard this time and time again...."Since Dept of Homeland Security has been in place we haven't had any terrorist attacks"....well guess what? We didn't have any terrorist attacks before it either....until we got a complete idiot in office that decided the US needed to stick it's nose where it didn't belong.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred

Re: Baddies - Border Patrol USA

Post by Fred »

lakehousetech,

Sir with all due respect, I don't think this is the forum to discuss political view points. This is an international forum, with people from all over the world with varying view points and beliefs.

If we start down the road of political and religious rants, this forum will degenerate rapidly from its' intended purpose.

I would urge others not to respond to this post and would urge you, lakehousetech, not to pursue this topic further. It will not end well, I have seen it happen before, and we really don't want to go there.

I would suggest that you use TrueCrypt to secure your data.

Thank you,

Fred
Last edited by Fred on Tue May 06, 2008 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

Fred,
This was posted in the 'Other Topics' section, and is relative to an article in the Mint newsletter. Maybe I struck a nerve with you because you have a different opinion? People can post whatever they want. Maybe we should bring god into the conversation as well? I bet that would get some responses from the under-educated southerners. Hehe.
Fred

Post by Fred »

You just made my point.

I will respond no further.

Fred
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

Hehe. While perhaps someone will. Don't take it personal Fred. I have friends down south, and my mom even lives in TN. I just love poking fun!
yamawho
Level 3
Level 3

Post by yamawho »

lakehousetech wrote: I am a frequent traveler between Toronto to NY since I am still waiting for residency in Canada before I can move up permanently. I'm outraged at how bad this is getting! It's bad enough when I come back from Canada to get detained for questioning every other visit for reasons I can't understand, but now they can be even more invasive?
Maybe you should consider shaving :mrgreen:
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

Shaving? Although the majority of people the get hassled are racially profiled (as much as it's denied), they take anyone at random. Maybe i'll wear a stick on beard just for fun, that way I can maybe get wrongfully imprisoned.
Last edited by lakehousetech on Tue May 06, 2008 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yamawho
Level 3
Level 3

Post by yamawho »

I was referring to your avatar ...

I live near Montreal and we don't go to the US much anymore because of the hassles you are referring to.

For example, on our resent trip to Australia, we switched planes in Vancouver not LA.
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

Smart move. I know....it took me a minute because I'm already worked up over some computer problems I'm having, and I haven't gotten anything but negative responses since posting. Anyway, I have the misfortune of not being able to avoid it because my fiance is Canadian. Once we get married I won't come back the the US unless I need to visit family. It's just too much trouble. My fiance was already denied entry once because they're computer messed up her file. They thought she was some girl from Idaho with a criminal record. It's easy for people that don't travel to dismiss it, but it's a reality that it will get worse. I can't believe the facts. They've taken laptops from people, and never returned them. There should be several lawsuits.

Oh and yes I am a huge SW fan. :mrgreen:
yamawho
Level 3
Level 3

Post by yamawho »

Welcome to Canada then 8)

Now that you will be living in Canada, you can go anywhere you want, our vacation last year took us to Cuba.

If you get sick, no need to mortgage you house or your life either.
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

Couldn't have said it better myself. I cannot wait to be free of this economic prison!
yamawho
Level 3
Level 3

Post by yamawho »

We are not totally free up here however, we still need to wear clothes :lol:
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

Bummer.
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

Fred wrote:Sir with all due respect, I don't think this is the forum to discuss political view points.
While I wholeheartedly agree with Fred, I must point out that when I got to the bottom of the thread there was a John McCain ad banner glaring at me. Sorry Fred, I think I just got my chuckle for the day. :mrgreen:
Husse

Post by Husse »

This was posted in the wrong "Other topics" section
This is a topic just on the fringe to what can be discussed in the forum - not because I object, but there may be others that do - and I don't refer to Fred
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

I understand. I'm on my way back to the U.S. today, so I'll let you know if they confiscate my personal computer or electronics just because they are allowed to violate our constitutional rights nowadays.

Return to “Open Chat”