Trying to install msg "no mountable files found".

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
iRod

Trying to install msg "no mountable files found".

Post by iRod »

Hi, I decided to try out some linux systems to see what I can see and am having a bit of trouble. I will format this to make it a bit clearer.

2011 mac book pro with Mountain Lion. Intel.

Partitioned hard drive with 100 g formatted in mac and then in ms dos (I tried both).

Tried both rEFIt and rEFInd. (both appeared upon start up as they should with the apple on the left and four grey tiles on the right).

If i click on the apple it goes to my regular mac login.

If I click on the squares I get a black screen stating "no operating system found please insert a readable disk and hit any key to continue".

Only it won't do anything when I hit a key. I have had to force shut down the machine to get back out.

Holding "C" upon start up does not affect any of the afore mentioned. I have tried this several times both before and after the EFI application. As well as, uninstalling the EFI applications and trying again; same result.

If I double click on the Cinnamon disk image (and I even tried to drag and drop to the Linux partition) I get the error code "No mountable files found".

So I am here now to ask two questions that are one. What am I doing wrong and how do I correctly install Linux?

I know just enough to get myself into trouble and I am stuck.

Please Help and Thank You.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Trying to install msg "no mountable files found".

Post by Spearmint2 »

Is it set to boot from the CD drive first?
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
iRod

Post by iRod »

Holding down Command C is supposed to make it start up using the drive. When I do this the drive spins up hesitates then defaults to the regular login.

When I downloaded mint it created a disk image. I burned this image to the disk drive. Could that be my problem?
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

use file manager and look at the disc. Do you have a file on there with and ISO file type ending? If so then all you did was put an iso file on the disc. What you'd need to do is open a CD burning program and have it extract the iso image file onto the disc. An ISO file is a compressed image containing the boot image if included, all the folders and files as they should appear or be installed onto the disc when the ISO file is expanded and burned to the disc. In Mint it would be Brasero and choose "Burn Image to Disc" and not choose "Create Data Disc".
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
iRod

Post by iRod »

Spearmint2 wrote:use file manager and look at the disc. Do you have a file on there with and ISO file type ending? If so then all you did was put an iso file on the disc. What you'd need to do is open a CD burning program and have it extract the iso image file onto the disc. An ISO file is a compressed image containing the boot image if included, all the folders and files as they should appear or be installed onto the disc when the ISO file is expanded and burned to the disc. In Mint it would be Brasero and choose "Burn Image to Disc" and not choose "Create Data Disc".
You are right about ISO. I ran into this in the past in making a disk for Lion and Mountain Lion. There I was able to right click and open package contents. With this ISO I am not given that as an option. I only have the option to open and open with (Disk Util). Both of these, if I try to open using them, state "linuxmint-15-cinnamon-dvd-64bit no mountable file systems". I know that I must be overlooking something quite obvious.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

I just found an email from iRod dated sept 7, sent from linuxmint forums. Oddly, my messages at top of this forum still don't show such message being sent through linuxmint forums.

Brasero is a CD burning program available AFTER Linux is installed.

I don't use Mac, know little of it, but to create a Linux boot disc, you need to open a CD creator program in Mac, set it to create a disc from a disc image or ISO file, then point it to the ISO file you downloaded and let it create the expansion onto the DVD. Only then will the DVD disc work as a boot disc. You can't boot direct from the ISO file, it must be expanded onto a DVD disc, or onto a USB thumbdrive using something like Universal USB Installer from pendrivelinux.com

Mac Intel uses an EFI file like Windows 7 & 8 do, so best if someone with experience with both Mac Intel computer and Linux help you with this problem.

Hopefully this answers the questions you had in the email.

It doesn't solve why the email message never appeared in my linuxmint forum message listings.

Return to “Beginner Questions”