ZevenOS Neptune

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Snapcase

ZevenOS Neptune

Post by Snapcase »

Anyone bothered to give a try to [url=http://www.zevenos.com/]Neptune 3.2?[/url]

I'm pretty new on Mint and this forum. I've tried a few different Mint releases and settled in Olivia KDE. But even been perfectly happy with it, I keep dreaming about an LMDE KDE release, something that doesn't exist. At first look Neptune might be an alternative for those having a similar dream. It's based on Debian Wheezy and Sid (it uses both repositories), so more bleeding edge than LMDE and having more up to date software. It's also a rolling distro. I'll give it a spin and let's see how it behaves.

Any other adventurous folks tried it? Opinions?

I have to say that it doesn't work very good in VirtualBox, so I decided to install it into a spare HD. The 3.2 version never installed well. It works as a live USB, but once installled into the HD it never boots up after three attempts with freshly downloaded isos every time. No torrent download yet for this last version... huh. Discouraging, isn't it? Anyway, since it's a rolling distro I decided to download the former 3.1 torrent version. It installed right and upgraded to 3.2 without apparent issues. It feels faster and more responsive than Mint 15 KDE. but it doesn't feel as polished as Mint is. I'll try to get the system settings as close as posible to the settings I have in Olivia KDE to compare them better. Keep on trying it for a few days.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Snapcase

Re: ZevenOS Neptune

Post by Snapcase »

Been playing with it for the whole day. I just give up. It's fast and responsive. Noticeable faster tahn LM15 KDE, but somewhat raw, crude and unpolished. It has some annoying bugs, like never remembering some system settings after rebooting. Mint just flows smoothly in comparison. Another annoying thing is the way it creates user accounts. Never seen a Debian based distro doing it this way. It uses the full name as account name and home folder. (just asks for an user name once and for everything). Linux is case sensitive, so unlike any other distros you have to be careful with this if you want to read/write in other HDs in your computer. It also installs a truck load of software I will never use. I don't like that.

Well, It was a nice dream. I think this distro is promising if developed and fine tuned properly in the future. It's intended to be another user friendly ready to go distro for newcomers with all the codecs, drivers and system tweaks to do anything right out of the box... but IMO, besides Neptune has nearly all the apps I commonly use (and too many more) and in Mint I need to uninstall and install quite a few of them, Mint is eons ahead of Neptune right now.

I'll keep an eye on it for further releases anyway.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Snapcase wrote:It's based on Debian Wheezy and Sid (it uses both repositories)
Interesting. Is there any info about how many breakages... err, I mean, packages they get from Sid?
Snapcase

Post by Snapcase »

I really don't know. AFAIK, most is Wheezy with a lower percentage taken from Sid.

Going to give a try to SolydK. Originally the same idea, a kind of LMDE with KDE attempt.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

ZevenOS Neptune seems different then. Sounds more like the first release of SolusOS - stable base with some updated software. LMDE and SolydXK rely on Update Packs where the whole system gets changed once in a while.
daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk »

Looks interesting . . . . got it downloading now to give it a whirl via USB, it'd have to go a long way to tempt me away from mint though, no harm in having a play to see what the other halfs up to . . . . . :wink:
rokytnji

Post by rokytnji »

More Polished (just personal opinion though). Do what you wish.

http://www.netrunner-os.com/

http://solydxk.com/

Edit: Hmmmm Some new news today

http://forum.mepiscommunity.org/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=34967
Snapcase

Post by Snapcase »

it'd have to go a long way to tempt me away from mint though
Don't think it would do it.

About SolydK, As a perfect noob, [url=http://bostonpeng.wordpress.com/2013/02/28/lmde-kde-is-dead-long-live-solydk/]I didn't knew this.[/url] :mrgreen:

I tried to download it a few times yesterday but the server was permanently collapsed. It's taking 4000+ downloads daily :shock:

I finally hit it this morning (while americans sleep :wink: ) and managed to start the torrent download (only available in the main server and not in the mirrors). The download is going terribly slow. It seems there's a lot of interest in this distro. No wonders, it certainly Iooks promising.

Though I love Mint KDE so much, I'd prefer to stay away from Ubuntu based distros in favor of "plain" Debian. I don't like the route Canonical is taking lately and where Ubuntu is targeting.
daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk »

I'll have to try again, didn't realise until I'd booted it but I must have picked the wrong version :roll:

Think I got 5, didn't like it at all, that definitely wouldn't tempt me away lol, I'll have a play with neptune when I have a 'bored' moment . . .
Adelante

Post by Adelante »

Second.
rokytnji wrote:More Polished (just personal opinion though). Do what you wish.

Snapcase

Post by Snapcase »

Adelante wrote:Second.

Debian and Kubuntu based. Not what I'm looking for. I want Buntus off. :wink:
Snapcase

Post by Snapcase »

Finally have SolydK up and running. I'm on it now. If you are used to Linux Mint KDE 15 you won't notice any major difference performance wise other than the fans running faster/noisier... as I usually noticed with all Debian based distros I've tried compared with the Ubuntu based ones. They both have KDE 4.10.5. I always use Oxygen which is SolydK's default, so visually about no differences with my current Olivia KDE install and the default apps are closer to my own preferences than Mint KDE.

For my common daily use, after a few hours on it I don't see any evident or remarkable differences with Olivia KDE yet, and it's Ubuntu free.... I'm loving it! :mrgreen:

And like all along the last weeks a question is springing into my mind once again. Do Linux Mint actually need Ubuntu at all? IMO, LMDE and SolydXK demonstrates it doesn't.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Snapcase wrote:Do Linux Mint actually need Ubuntu at all? IMO, LMDE and SolydXK demonstrates it doesn't.
Oh, these rolling and semi-rolling distros... today you ask the question quoted above, and tomorrow (for example: at the next Update Pack) you rant and scream: how? how did you fail so bad? Why my hibernation doesn't work anymore? Why my Steam does not start anymore? Why my printers do not work anymore? Why it all became so slow on startup and poweroff? It SHOULD work out of the box! I hate you hate you hate you and I'm going back to Mint 13 LTS! :evil:

:lol:
rokytnji

Post by rokytnji »

Snapcase wrote:
Adelante wrote:Second.

Debian and Kubuntu based. Not what I'm looking for. I want Buntus off. :wink:
I know. My mom and wife say I don't listen to them either. Character flaw of mine. 8)

I usually just run what I brung. I never over think things. Shoot. If I ever paid attention to Linux reviews. I'd probably not be running Linux at all.
So yeah, I don't listen too well. :wink:
Snapcase

Post by Snapcase »

Monsta wrote:
Snapcase wrote:Do Linux Mint actually need Ubuntu at all? IMO, LMDE and SolydXK demonstrates it doesn't.
Oh, these rolling and semi-rolling distros... today you ask the question quoted above, and tomorrow (for example: at the next Update Pack) you rant and scream: how? how did you fail so bad? Why my hibernation doesn't work anymore? Why my Steam does not start anymore? Why my printers do not work anymore? Why it all became so slow on startup and poweroff? It SHOULD work out of the box! I hate you hate you hate you and I'm going back to Mint 13 LTS! :evil:

:lol:
Of course. Nothing is perfect. Rolling distros have thier risks. No doubts, but Mainly for those systems with all the updates/repositories enabled. Those blindly updating ASAP everytime something new is available and not taking care of what particular packages are updated (and/or not doing backups regularly before an aupdate). LMDE (or any other Mint version), SolydXK and some other current distros are tweaked to show and enable only the safe and not too risky updates, so the system doesn't break easily. All these systems are oriented for the non expert user, LM included. If you are careful, you won't break your system that easy. Rolling or not. It's up to the user tp decide how deep to take the risk.

And in other hand, how many times a non rolling distro goes wrong after an update of new packages? I see no difference other than you have to install your system every now and then, or simply keeping it running from a first install. That's all. Other than that. I still don't see a difference.

I don't understand all that fear out there about the rolling distro risks. What sounds scary to me is needing to install a full new OS every six months.

Return to “Chat about Linux”