[Solved] Xerox Phaser 6010n installs but does not print

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jcockx

[Solved] Xerox Phaser 6010n installs but does not print

Post by jcockx »

I've recently installed Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon on my PC and I am trying to get my Xerox Phaser 6010n network printer to work.

Using Preferences>Printers>AddPrinter>Network, the printer is detected automatically - congratulations for the Mint developers.

But then I try to print a test page. The printer reacts - it comes out of standby - but does not actually print anything. On my desktop, I get a notification that printing is completed - but actually, nothing is printed. The same thing happens when I try to print from another program.

I checked again with my old OpenSuse installation (I have a dual boot system Mint/OpenSuse). It's a bit more difficult to find the printer there (I have to manually enter the IP address), but once installed, it works fine. The URI under OpenSuse is lpd://192.168.0.38/PASSTHRU. The printer also works fine from Windows. So there is nothing wrong with the printer.

Any suggestions on how to continue from here? What can I do to pinpoint the problem?
Last edited by jcockx on Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jcockx

Re: Xerox Phaser 6010n printer installs but does not print

Post by jcockx »

Thanks, DrHu, for the links. I tried to follow the instructions, but no succes yet.

The zip-file downloaded from the xerox website (second link) contains xerox-phaser-6000-6010_1.0-1_i386.deb. I have a 64 bit machine, so I am not sure if this is supposed to work. I tried it anyway, with the following result:
Unpacking xerox-phaser-6000-6010 (from .../xerox-phaser-6000-6010_1.0-1_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of xerox-phaser-6000-6010:
xerox-phaser-6000-6010 depends on libcups2 (>= 1.2.7) | libcupsys2 (>= 1.2.7) | libcupsys2-gnutls10 (>= 1.1.23-1).
The following commands succeeded in completing the installation:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -f
So I removed and re-installed the printer. Now, when I try to print the tesst page, I get a "Printing test-page" notification, but no notification that the test page has actually been printed. The printer does nothing at all. The printer queue contains an entry "Test page" but the job state is "stopped". Pressing the start button (right-pointing triangle) has no visible effect.

I have tried to read the discussion in the third link suggested by DrHu but I am not familiar with concepts like ppd, dlut and filters for printers, so this is hard to follow for me.

Further hints would be very much appreciated.
vannesspdx

Post by vannesspdx »

Hello,

I work for Xerox, and after consulting with our support team this is what they provided:

Here is a link to the appropriate driver from the Xerox website. You should install the printer via CUPS.

http://www.support.xerox.com/support/ph ... anguage=en

Here is a Xerox KB article on how to install via CUPS. The title will be for the Phaser 4510 KB but you may use the same article.

http://www.support.xerox.com/go/go.asp? ... source=DND

Good luck!
jcockx

Post by jcockx »

Thanks for the input; however, still no success.
vannesspdx wrote: Here is a link to the appropriate driver from the Xerox website. You should install the printer via CUPS.

http://www.support.xerox.com/support/ph ... anguage=en
The driver at that link is xerox-phaser-6000-6010_1.0-1_i386.deb which I already installed based on DrHu's suggestion. As said before, this looks like a 32-bit driver, but I have a 64-bit machine; is this supposed to work?
vannesspdx wrote: Here is a Xerox KB article on how to install via CUPS. The title will be for the Phaser 4510 KB but you may use the same article.

http://www.support.xerox.com/go/go.asp? ... source=DND
To follow the instructions in this article, I had to be somewhat creative, as my Mint system looks different:

1. The ppd file is in /etc/cups/ppd/Phaser-6010N.ppd, not in usr/share/cups/model.

2. The CUPS interface in the browser does not match the description given; newer version of CUPS? I have CUPS 1.6.1.

Anyway, I succeeded in installing the printer, but it is still not working. In the "jobs" list for this printer, the state of the print jobs is: stopped "Filter failed". See screenshot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dcqwlgb21kl6w ... last.png?m. I have no clue what filter this is referring to, or what the actual error is.

Further suggestions are still very welcome.
jcockx

Post by jcockx »

Some open questions for me:

- Is there somewhere a log file that contains more details about "filter errors" encountered during printing? This might give a hint as to what is wrong.

- is xerox-phaser-6000-6010_1.0-1_i386.deb supposed to work on 64-bit machines, or isn't it? Can anyone at Xerox tell me this?

If there is no solution, I will either have to switch back to OpenSuse or buy another printer (not Xerox in that case).
jcockx

Post by jcockx »

OK, I found an error_log in /var/log/cups; you can read it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/u3tozk9pnwu6nkf/error_log?m

There are some promising errors near the end, but I do not really understand what they mean or how to fix them.

D [05/Mar/2013:21:57:30 +0100] [Job 25] Calling FindDeviceById(Xerox_Phaser_6010N)
D [05/Mar/2013:21:57:30 +0100] [Job 25] Failed to send: org.freedesktop.ColorManager.Failed:device id 'Xerox_Phaser_6010N' does not exists
D [05/Mar/2013:21:57:30 +0100] [Job 25] Failed to get profile filename!
D [05/Mar/2013:21:57:30 +0100] [Job 25] no profiles specified in PPD
D [05/Mar/2013:21:57:30 +0100] [Job 25] Set job-printer-state-message to "no profiles specified in PPD", current level=INFO

and

D [05/Mar/2013:21:57:30 +0100] [Job 25] Xerox_Phaser_6010N: error while loading shared libraries: libcupsimage.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
D [05/Mar/2013:21:57:30 +0100] [Job 25] PID 4145 (/usr/lib/cups/backend/socket) exited with no errors.
D [05/Mar/2013:21:57:30 +0100] [Job 25] PID 4144 (/usr/lib/cups/filter/xrhkazmf) stopped with status 1.
D [05/Mar/2013:21:57:30 +0100] [Job 25] Hint: Try setting the LogLevel to "debug" to find out more.
D [05/Mar/2013:21:57:30 +0100] [Job 25] Start rendering...
D [05/Mar/2013:21:57:30 +0100] [Job 25] Processing page 1...
D [05/Mar/2013:21:57:30 +0100] [Job 25] PID 4143 (/usr/lib/cups/filter/gstoraster) stopped with status 13.
D [05/Mar/2013:21:57:30 +0100] [Job 25] Hint: Try setting the LogLevel to "debug" to find out more.
D [05/Mar/2013:21:57:30 +0100] [Job 25] End of messages
median

Post by median »

Hi,
Solved this problem twice on Fedora 64bit, but the solution can be the same here for Mint.
To get the printer working, just install the package designated on the Xerox page above. I used the RPM version, which installed both 6000b and 6010n priters, as my home printer was Phaser 6000b-compatible. I've used yum localinstall in order to get all dependencies automatically. Then add the printer using the common CUPS administration procedure. I used the system control panel just to add printer with LPD protocol (i.e. the URI was lpd://192.168.1.3). In my case it also loaded reasonable defaults, so nothing else was needed. But the printer failed to work with 'filter failed' message for every page.
In my case the key was the missing libcups.so.2 but in a 32bit version required by the driver. By default, a 64-bit system installs only 64-bit version of this library.
It is necessary to install cups-libs.i686 explicitly. From that time the printer works fine.
jcockx

Post by jcockx »

Hi median,
Thanks for the hint. Problem solved.

Instead of rpm's and yum, I used the following commands:
| sudo apt-get update
| sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
The printer works.

I tried again another machine with a fresh install of Mint 15. After installing the 32 bit .deb driver from the xerox website plus above apt-get commands, the printer works on this machine too.
OzRattler
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [Solved] Xerox Phaser 6010n installs but does not print

Post by OzRattler »

AH HA!

32bit drivers - nice work. Did it for me and have posted this to another thread with credit to you chaps.

Have fun!
.....insanity is so confusing.....
blink38

Post by blink38 »

I've managed to make the printer works on Linux Mint 17.1 64 bits.

I downloaded and install file from Xerox (xerox-phaser-6000-6010_1.0-1_i386.deb). (web site is http://www.support.xerox.com/support/ph ... anguage=en)

I downloaded and uncompress ppd file from Xerox (Xerox_Phaser_6010N.ppd). But this file is not working because of a failed cups filter configuration :
usr/lib/cups/filter/Xerox_Phaser_6000_6010/XRM_MF" not available: No such file or directory
I edited the file and changed it to :

*cupsFilter: "application/vnd.cups-raster 0 /usr/lib/cups/filter/Xerox_Phaser_6000_6010/XRM_MF"
*XRFilterDir: "/usr/lib/cups/filter/Xerox_Phaser_6000_6010"
*XRFilterChain: "XRM_FXR, XRM_SBP, XRM_PR, XRM_CC, XRM_TP, XRM_EE, XRM_DF, XRM_TRC, XRM_AL5CB, XRM_HBPL"
to :

*cupsFilter: "application/vnd.cups-raster 0 /usr/lib/cups/filter/xrhkazmf"
*XRFilterDir: "/usr/lib/cups/filter"
*XRFilterChain: "xrhkazfxr, xrhkazsbp, xrhkazpr, xrhkazcc, xrhkaztp, xrhkazee, xrhkazdf, xrhkaztrc, xrhkazal5cb, xrhkazhbpl"
I edited also the FileVersion to set to 1.1 (because I had installed the Xerox pdd first, and it seem that cups do not used my version because of the FileVersion). I am not sure you have to edit this parameter if you install the modified version first.

You can then install your printer using this ppd file (you put somewhere in your home directory).

Hope it will help you to use you phaser 6010N on 64bits linux system.
jimbev90

Post by jimbev90 »

Thank you very much everyone. This post also solved my problem with a Dell C1760NW Color Printer (Rebranded Xerox 6000B). I would never have thought of the 32-bit libraries on my own. Kudos!

Return to “Printers & Scanners”