How to make Java work properly

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AlexCa

How to make Java work properly

Post by AlexCa »

Linux Mint 15 MATE x64

Hi,

I'm trying to open this game that uses Java in a website i'm building:

http://www.tugajogos.pt/game/1586/Mega-Man-X.html#.UiK4EDbrxzM

I removed icedtea using synaptics, and uninstalled LibreOffice,
and followed this steps to remove openjdk and install Java:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge openjdk*

sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/info/oracle-java7-installer*
sudo apt-get purge oracle-java7-installer*
sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*java*
sudo apt-get update

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/java
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install oracle-java7-installer

java -version
sudo update-java-alternatives -s java-7-oracle

sudo apt-get install oracle-java7-set-default
I have Chrome and Firefox installed.
(when using Chrome i always get a message saying: "Java (TM) was blocked because it is out of date", however it runs normally after i choose "Run this time")
When trying to use for instance, http://www.keepvid.com, everything works fine.

But when trying to load the game in my website, it doesn't work: it loads but ends up with a blank screen. The result is the same using either Chrome or Firefox.
The problem doesn't occur when using Chrome under Windows 7.
I don't feel like having to install Windows in a VM or having to replace Mint with Windows because of this :(
Can someone please help? Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AlexCa

Re: How to make Java work properly

Post by AlexCa »

I've found out that the problem is not about java, but about some games not running fine with the emulator...
So Java is working properly.
Thanks.
z1p101

Post by z1p101 »

OK

Did everything work ok before you started installing and uninstalling things? For future reference openjdk is Java, just the open source edition.

Go to [url=http://javatester.org/]javatester.org[/url] and see if your plug in is working. It may take a few seconds to load so be patient.

If the plug in is working then it is another issue.

If it doesn't work then a quick fix may be to copy /usr/lib/jvm/java-7-oracle/jre/lib/amd64/libnpjp2.so and paste it in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/.

If that doesn't work then give some info on the game, how it is compiled, etc.
AlexCa

Post by AlexCa »

Ok, i have to take back my last statement. When using Java on Linux most of the times there are problems (graphics or sound corrupted, some games stoping). When using java on Windows, normally everything works fine.

@z1p101
No, with openjdk games didn't even load.

I went to javatester.org, and java it says that java is working (pink rectangle, Java Version: 1.7.0_25 from Oracle corporation).

I tried the quick fix, but i get an error saying that the plugin has crashed.

I installed Play on Linux. Maybe if i install firefox and java from there it will work?

thanks

edit: Java wont work in firefox under Play on Linux :/
z1p101

Post by z1p101 »

I went to your site and the Mega Man game works for me on Mint 15/Firefox. It is most likely a browser setting on your end if the test page works. Try to change the security settings to allow everything, cookies, pop ups, etc.

A security window opens for me and asks me if I want to run the game first so that is probably what your browser is blocking.
AlexCa

Post by AlexCa »

z1p101 wrote:I went to your site and the Mega Man game works for me on Mint 15/Firefox. It is most likely a browser setting on your end if the test page works. Try to change the security settings to allow everything, cookies, pop ups, etc.

A security window opens for me and asks me if I want to run the game first so that is probably what your browser is blocking.
The game works but i experienced some problems with the sound, that doesn't occur under Windows. I've added another game to try (Rock N Roll Racing), and in Mint the games stops in the middle and have also sound problems, while under Windows everything works ok. Can you please check if the same happens to you using Mint? I really don't think that it's browser setting, but nevertheless... Meanwhile i'm using Windows 7 and feeling the slowdown in general performance and the increase of cpu heat :(
z1p101

Post by z1p101 »

The sound is a little grainy but other than that no problems. It's been a while since I played a Mega Man game, thanks.
AlexCa

Post by AlexCa »

z1p101 wrote:The sound is a little grainy but other than that no problems. It's been a while since I played a Mega Man game, thanks.
Thanks for the feedback z1p101. That sound problem only happens running Java under Linux.
I ended up installing VirtualBox with Windows 7.
That way i can install and test different browsers under Windows, and i can still continue to work with Linux Mint, that i love :)

Return to “Software & Applications”