Head Scratching Setting Time issue with Gmail.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Orbmiser

Head Scratching Setting Time issue with Gmail.

Post by Orbmiser »

1) Bios clock set at 16:24 pm.
2) Dual boot with Win7

Win7 - Gmail shows message received at 4:25pm (16:25)
KDE - Gmail shows same message 11:25pm (23:25) +7 hrs. GMT I guess.

Tho have Digital Clock setting set to Los Angeles
Digital Clock Settings.jpeg
Have Date & Time Settings set to Los Angeles with UTC unchecked.
Date and Time Settings.jpeg
Conky and tray show correct local time.

But gmail on the linux side is giving wrong time for messages.
Any help to resolve will be appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Orbmiser

Re: Head Scratching Setting Time issue with Gmail.

Post by Orbmiser »

Received PM and thought to post here and see if it may help others.
Orbmiser, I can not remember where, either in the Linix Mint or Ubuntu (Kubuntu) forum, there is a post that refers to a problem similar to yours. I had similar problem, by changing the input below it solved it for me. I use root terminal so you may have to use sudo.

ln -sf /usr/share/zoneinfo/USA/Los Angeles

In the same post it refers to:

/etc/kde4/kcmclocktc

I looked at it but did not change anything.

Your digital clock settings are the same as mine except for my local info

In Digital Clock Setting/ Time Zones I have the following ticked: Melbourne, Perth, UTC & Darwin the clock default set to Australia/Darwin. I did have have some minor problems with this but by un ticking and selecting (ticking the box) in a different order I acheived my aim.
Main clock in the Task Bar shows Local Time by hovering ove the time it displays al the area/time zones I selected.
Regards, TopEnder
So will give that a try as a possible solution.
But answer me this? I Don't understand why Time seems to be a continuous unsolvable problem for All OS'es they always seems to need a fix a workaround and tweaking. But seems to be even more prevalent with Linux.

Geeze! How complex it is setting time to local. And why does a desktop need UTC?
All I want is everything on my desktop to speak one local time. Is that So Hard! ?
Hawkeye_52

Post by Hawkeye_52 »

Orbmiser,

I am running two computers; primary with LM15 Cinnamon and secondary with Netrunner KDE (Enigma). The time problem came up on their forum, and a fix was posted there by a user named 'pablodav'. The solution can be found at:

http://forums.netrunner-os.com/showthread.php?tid=1086&pid=2272#pid2272

It worked for me in Netrunner -- a 'kissing cousin' to Linux Mint. Hope it helps you out...

Hawkeye52
Snapcase

Post by Snapcase »

I have a similar problem, AFAIK only with emais (Thunderbird, but it seems it's independent os the program used). The emails arrive in correct chronological order, but for some reason some are assigned or displayed with UTC time and some with my local time (UTC+1, currently +2 due to the summer time 1 hour addition in many countries). I have no idea about why they get different times. Might be related to the delivering servers instead of the local time set in our systems or computers? Nevertheless I don't remember that this oddity happened in Mac OS. I also used Thunderbird there.

I'll pay more attention to this issue in the following days, specially for the addresses/servers I receive emails frequently.
Snapcase

Post by Snapcase »

I made a fast check in the deleted emails folder. It seems it's only the Google servers (Gmail, Youtube,etc...) what have not local timing. They are displayed with their own local time. I'll check if it's all UTC or depending on wherever a particular server is located. Anyway, It seems to be something related to Google.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

http://email.about.com/od/gmailtips/qt/set_time_zone.htm
--it might very well be Google's geolocation connection method that causes the time zone discrepency

And UTC or local time makes no differences, it is still a legitimate time: utc mode being naturally more universal
--why don't all computers use that instead of local time

Online time zone checker..
http://www.worldtimeserver.com/current_time_in_UTC.aspx
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_zone ... ft_Windows
--some general info on zones..
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Win7 - Gmail shows message received at 12:34am
KDE - Gmail shows same message7:34pm (19:25) 7 hrs. difference.

Same gmail account access on same computer. Just the linux gmail giving GMT? or UTC?
So damn confusing as shouldn't matter what the servers use as should be translated to local.

Gmail header shows right local time 12:34 but the gmail inbox is showing 7 hrs difference and showing 7:34pm.
on Gmail in Linux tho window shows fine and correct.
Gmail Header.jpeg
Jonathan Spearman

Post by Jonathan Spearman »

Greetings,

Just a couple of things to ask.

Do you by any chance have daylights saving time checked or unchecked?
If you check UTC, whats happens?

Is your time set correctly under linux? Is the time set correctly under windows? if not, check your bios time and see what it is set at.
Snapcase

Post by Snapcase »

Do you by any chance have daylights saving time checked or unchecked?
Where? I cannot find it in System settings

I'll check the bios time in the next boot.

Return to “Software & Applications”