Wine for 64bit Mint Debian

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Curtrey

Wine for 64bit Mint Debian

Post by Curtrey »

Please would a kind person instruct me how to install WINE for Mint Debian 64 bit. I've tried Package Manager and Synoptic Package but although it seems to go through the motion, nothing is installed.

Thank you

Love

Curtrey
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
passerby

Re: Wine for 64bit Mint Debian

Post by passerby »

Rather than use WINE, try playonlinux. It allows you to manage different versions of WINE, comes with automated installers for popular programs (eg. MS Office) and separates programs into separate virtual drives.
You can either locate the package in Synaptic Package Manager or open a terminal and run: sudo apt-get install playonlinux
Curtrey

Post by Curtrey »

Thanks for your suggestion

Playonlinux does not work for me in 64 bit Mint.

There must be someone in "MINT LAND" who uses WINE on 64 bit Mint

PLEASE PLEASE assist

love

Curtrey
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

If you have problems on 64-bit Mint that don't exist in 32-bit editions please install ia32-libs from the repository.

@ Curtrey: if you are using Mint 13, 14 or 15 instead of the Debian edition, please don't use this topic since this is about Mint Debian.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
Curtrey

Post by Curtrey »

Tried that but no good.

So many hours wasted trying to solve this issue
Curtrey

Post by Curtrey »

Why is the Software Manager unable to provide a WINE64 app which works and installs
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

please read this topic http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=190&t=122296
z1p101

Post by z1p101 »

Don't know.

You can go to the wine website. They do have detailed install instructions for a lot of distros. I installed wine on mint cinnamon using their ubuntu repo but you probably want their debian instructions.

You may want to check some debian specific forums also.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Curtrey if you can't mention which Mint version you use, we can't help you. Are you using Mint Debian?
Curtrey

Post by Curtrey »

I am using Linux Mint Debian 64 bit.

I find it bizarre, disappointing and very disheartening that the 64 bit version of Mint Debian can be so useless in the provision of running Microsoft apps by WINE on a 64 bit system when 32 bit is well catered for.

I have spent 90 hours over the last two weeks in trying to find an easy to use system which will run my Microsoft apps. This has proved to be completely wasted time.

I have always thought Mint Debian to be a first class o/s and it is in 32 bit. BUT 64 bit machines will take over from 32 bit
and the inability to provide WINE or another system on 64 bit to run Microsoft apps will be very constricting for Mint.

Also disappointing is that nobody will tell me how to run Microsoft apps on Mint Debian 64 bit system.

Love Curtrey
Brianrh

Post by Brianrh »

Correct me if I'm wrong people but as I see it this is not a really a Mint or Debian problem it's all due to the fact the Wine is still a 32 bit package that needs "work rounds" to get it to work correctly on 64 bit systems.

After 2 minutes browsing I found this which may help:

[url]http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=105606[/url]

Brian
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Curtrey wrote:Also disappointing is that nobody will tell me how to run Microsoft apps on Mint Debian 64 bit system.
a few posts above i gave you a link relevant for this. did you bother to read it?
Curtrey

Post by Curtrey »

Yes I've read them and lots more.

I don't believe that a stable WINE app for 64 bit can be excused as a WINE problem.

PCBSD provide WINE for use on their 64 bit system which works like a dream.. However it is done and whatever the back
ground PCBSD has done it. SO WHY CAN'T MINT DEBIAN do it?

Love Curtrey
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

You can install the 32 bits version on your 64bits system since LMDE is multiarch. But you need to open your eyes and read the link by ZeroZero for that.
And stop being aggressive or leave !

I succeeded installing Office 2007 months ago using google and wine. So you should be able to. Use your brain.
http://pc-freak.net/blog/install-microsoft-office-2007-debian-linux-70-wheezy/
Brianrh

Post by Brianrh »

PCBSD provide WINE for use on their 64 bit system which works like a dream.. However it is done and whatever the back
ground PCBSD has done it. SO WHY CAN'T MINT DEBIAN do it?
Wouldn't it be easier to use PCBSD then?
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Why PCBSD? You can also just use an Ubuntu-based Mint edition like 13, 14 or 15, in those editions 64-bit Wine works fine if installed from the repository. It's just Debian and its derivatives that are having problems with Wine.
Curtrey

Post by Curtrey »

I am being aggressive because there is an obvious wrong which is not being addressed. I am not stupid. I have read and tried to use the so called fixes which proved useless. For at least two of them copying and pasting into the terminal did not get past the first entry before failure. I spent 90 hours reading so called fixes and comments on the web, So Killer de bug put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!!!
If Killer de Bug wants me to leave, and elsewhere someone suggested I go to PCBSD, then so be it.
I am much too old to want a fight.

Good bye

Curtrey
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Curtrey wrote:I am being aggressive because there is an obvious wrong which is not being addressed. I am not stupid.
Have you paid something for Linux Mint ? Do we owe you something ? Obviously not. :roll:
If your aggressive don't expect us to be nice and helpful.

First of all, post your sources.list here. Then put the output of

Code: Select all

apt install wine-bin

And you know, you can use whatever distro you want, I don't care. Could be Ubuntu or Fedora or...
But I really think that if you need Microsoft stuff, then it's probably better to use Windows. :roll:
dmhm

Post by dmhm »

Curtrey wrote:I am using Linux Mint Debian 64 bit.

I find it bizarre, disappointing and very disheartening that the 64 bit version of Mint Debian can be so useless in the provision of running Microsoft apps by WINE on a 64 bit system when 32 bit is well catered for.

I have spent 90 hours over the last two weeks in trying to find an easy to use system which will run my Microsoft apps. This has proved to be completely wasted time.

I have always thought Mint Debian to be a first class o/s and it is in 32 bit. BUT 64 bit machines will take over from 32 bit
and the inability to provide WINE or another system on 64 bit to run Microsoft apps will be very constricting for Mint.

Also disappointing is that nobody will tell me how to run Microsoft apps on Mint Debian 64 bit system.

Love Curtrey
I am doing just that - running Windows apps (i.e EccoPro and Katmouse, Irfanview etc) on my Mint Debian 64 bit system, BUT I use Crossover, which is not free - although you can download a trial version from Codeweavers and try it out.

Another 64 bit desktop machine of mine has NeptuneOS (Debian Wheezy w/ KDE) and after struggling a bit to install Wine the same apps run w/o Crossover.

But on LMDE (with both Mate and Gnome3 running together), I need to use Crossover to get them to run (they try to open but don't quit get there, with Wine alone).

My version of Crossover is not the most recent but it does the job, so I suggest you give it a try.
Curtrey

Post by Curtrey »

Thanks very much. Most helpful. Downloaded the trial version of crossover and it works on my 64 bit

Love
Curtrey

Return to “LMDE Archive”