Cannot copy photos from my Nikon dsc 5100

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
uvlt
Level 3
Level 3

Cannot copy photos from my Nikon dsc 5100

Post by uvlt »

I have LM 14 x64 Cinnamon version, installed on both my 2 desktops (core2duo 3.5/4GB ram - Nvidia & core2quad 2.4 /2gb - Nvidia). Yesterday i tried to copy some photos & videos from my Nikon DSC5100 camera into both pc's with the same result: No Success!
Initially the camera was recognized. Then, as I tried to copy the media files to my pc, the file manager (nemo) copy dialog shown up and then the procedure stops (hangs) with a timeout error and no file copied. The same if i try to copy the files with gthumb software... I thought that the card was damaged, but then, i was able to copy the files via VirtualBox/Windows XP/FileManager!. So i can imagine that is a Nemo problem?

Any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
chris295

Re: Cannot copy photos from my Nikon dsc 5100

Post by chris295 »

I'm using the same Mint version and had the same problem with my Canon EOS350D this morning. I solved it by installing and using Shotwell.
uvlt
Level 3
Level 3

Post by uvlt »

I just installed shotwell and tried to import the photos with no success... The problem still remains....
chris295

Post by chris295 »

Sorry to hear that Uvit, good luck with trying to find a solution.
uvlt
Level 3
Level 3

Post by uvlt »

6 Months later now , using a powered usb hub, i,m still having the same problem. Using windows 7 on the same pc (dual boot) everything goes smooth and fast :roll:
palo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palo »

I have a Nikon D5100 and found no way to copy from the camera - it seems some cameras will work and others don't. I found that one solution suggested involved buying a card reader and removing the card from the camera to transfer. I went for another option - transfer on my W7 computer directly to a flash drive and then copying to my Linux box. The advantages (I try to look at the bright side): I have a backup copy on my flash drive already and I get exercise walking upstairs.

Pat
Protheus

Post by Protheus »

I have a D300, never had any problems with any Linux distribution. Did you set the USB option in the Cam Menu to MSC Mass Storage instead of MTP/PTP?
palo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palo »

Thanks for the info Protheus, but that option does not exist on my D5100.
[url]http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/2990837[/url]

Pat
uvlt
Level 3
Level 3

Post by uvlt »

Buing an extra card reader or using a laptop (with the included card reader), or using the win7 pc are some walkthroughs, but none of them are an actual solution. Something's going wrong there and i'm thinking of nemo file manager... ??? I don't remember if i had that problem with nautilus, but i think not...
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

I had the same problems on Arch; this worked:

Copy all the image files from the camera to current directory:

$ gphoto2 --get-all-files

Show all files on the camera (in all directories).

$ gphoto2 --list-files

-
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Protheus

Post by Protheus »

palo wrote:Thanks for the info Protheus, but that option does not exist on my D5100.
[url]http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/2990837[/url]

Pat
Wasn't aware of this..

Maybe gphoto2 helps
http://deadlytechnology.com/linux/save-photos-nikon-ubuntu/
palo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palo »

The tip on gphoto2 is much appreciated guys. I was not too keen on using CLI to deal with images but instead of installing gtkam for a frontend, I installed Darktable as I wanted to work with RAW images anyway. I am able to download images from my Nikon D5100 easily now and have one less thing to need Windows for :D... A list of supported cameras is [url=http://www.gphoto.org/proj/libgphoto2/support.php]here[/url].

Pat

Return to “Hardware Support”