Forgot password for Linux Mint 15 Olivia

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
NotAnotherNewGuy

Forgot password for Linux Mint 15 Olivia

Post by NotAnotherNewGuy »

I don't remember even putting a username and password on my linux account but apparently I have and I cannot log on.
I have looked online and saw numerous ways to change the password but they have not worked. They usually all start with start GRUB and then going into recovery mode. After that I go to root but it won't let me type anything in.
Not sure if there is a different method for Olivia or maybe I am doing something silly wrong but I would appreciate any insight or a link to a tutorial that you think may work for me.
Preciate it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Forgot password for Linux Mint 15 Olivia

Post by Reorx »

During the installation process, the routine asks for a name for your computer, and a user name & password. It makes you type the password twice. If you honestly just finished installing and don't remember that - you should probably pay closer attention to the installer the next time you install... That is my recommendation - since you have never logged it, there is nothing of any value on the computer in question and you can simply wipe your installation and do a re-install. It'll only take about 20 minutes and it is better, faster, and cleaner than trying to understand the advice you are going to get here (assuming you are a Linux newbie)... PLUS - it builds character and makes you a better computer user... :mrgreen:

Go get 'em tiger...

Mint on!
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
mdavies5
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mdavies5 »

Try this, I ahve copied from an earlier post:
To reset your lost or fogotten password:
Reboot your computer / Turn your computer on.
Hold down the Shift key at the start of the boot process to enable the GNU GRUB2 boot menu (if it does not show)
Select the entry for your Linux installation
Press e to edit.
Use the Arrow keys to navigate to a line that looks similar to this:

linux /boot/vmlinuz-[kernel version]-generic root=UUID=[letters and numbers]\[letters and numbers] ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7

Change ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7 to rw init=/bin/bash so it now reads:

linux /boot/vmlinuz-[kernel version]-generic root=UUID=[letters and numbers]\[letters and numbers] rw init=/bin/bash

Press F10 to boot your system.
Your system will boot up to a passwordless root shell.
At command prompt type: passwd <yourusername>
(if you have also forgotten your username, type cat /etc/passwd first to get a list of all users, yours should be at the end)
Set your new password.
Restart your system.
Cheers, Mike
robert leleu

Post by robert leleu »

thanks
I used the trick with Mint15
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

have had to the 'passwd' thing on the odd laptop, that got given away,
& the new user didn't remember their pwd. .. :(
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

SECURITY NOTE This sneak-in-as-root is fine for open file systems...useless for ''oh and my home folder is encrypted'', where you absolutely must know the original pass-phrase to unlock the data.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

that is - that you have direct access to the local keyboard.
- not via remote login.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Return to “Beginner Questions”