Removing files using only the command line (GUI crashed)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gdarroch

Removing files using only the command line (GUI crashed)

Post by gdarroch »

Hi all,

I've got this problem: I can't access the gui, and only have the command line:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=145928

I'd like to remove the files I've put on the desktop to an external drive, so I can do a fresh install (I'm undecided between LM15 again and Win7). How do I do this using the command line?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WharfRat

Re: Removing files using only the command line

Post by WharfRat »

gdarroch,

Any particular folder or your entire home :?:

Do you know how to mount the external or does it mount when you plug it in :?:
gdarroch

Post by gdarroch »

Hi WharfRat, I haven't tried a mount yet. I'll let you know how that goes. At this stage I'm better to get the entire home drive, I think.
gdarroch

Post by gdarroch »

I plugged in the USB but I'm not sure if it's mounting. What do I do to access the file menu?
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

gdarroch wrote:I plugged in the USB but I'm not sure if it's mounting. What do I do to access the file menu?
Check under /media/yourname. When I plug in a flash drive that's where it mounts. You can use:

Code: Select all

mount|grep media
If it's not mounted check if fdisk sees it:

sudo fdisk -lu
It should be sdb or sdc depending on the number of internal drives. Look for a partition e.g., /dev/sdb1. You can try mounting it manually with:

sudo mkdir /media/external

sudo chown yourname:yourname  /media/external

sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /media/external
To copy your home:

cd /media/external

cp -a /home/yourname .
Good luck :wink:
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

WharfRat wrote:
gdarroch wrote:I plugged in the USB but I'm not sure if it's mounting. What do I do to access the file menu?
Check under /media/yourname. When I plug in a flash drive that's where it mounts. You can use:

mount|grep media
If it's not mounted check if fdisk sees it:

sudo fdisk -lu
It should be sdb or sdc depending on the number of internal drives. Look for a partition e.g., /dev/sdb1. You can try mounting it manually with:

sudo mkdir /media/external

sudo chown yourname:yourname  /media/external

sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /media/external
To copy your home:

cd /media/external

cp -a /home/yourname .
Good luck :wink:
Well, maybe also you could say him/her to unmount his/her drive at the end and how make this... Because if not, he/she can have a problem... :roll:
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
gdarroch

Re: Removing files using only the command line (GUI crashed)

Post by gdarroch »

Thanks everyone. Yes I'd like to unmount the drive afterwards and so I haven't tried the solution posted yet because I don't want to risk losing everything - about the worst possible outcome.
gdarroch

Post by gdarroch »

Okay, I'm going to attach a drive, mount it, and leave it mounted until I work out how to do that. I just want to check that's okay.
gdarroch

Post by gdarroch »

What's the unmount code?
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

gdarroch wrote:What's the unmount code?

cd ~

sudo umount /media/external
gdarroch

Post by gdarroch »

LM has remapped my keyboard and I can't find the | symbol. Anyone know how to access it?
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

gdarroch wrote:LM has remapped my keyboard and I can't find the | symbol. Anyone know how to access it?
Next to the 1 key using Shift,
or....(don't you just love Linux?)...

cd $home

sorry, that's for the ~ symbol.
Pipe symbol is Shift+back slash key "\"
gdarroch

Post by gdarroch »

No, it isn't. That's where it should be. I have no idea how to find it. Is there some kind of way of producing this?

##Beginning to wonder if I should just give up, find a linux professional to remove my files (if indeed they're still there) and say goodbye to this os.

##Linux Mint feels like an epic fantasy quest, where each achievement sends me off on another mission.

##I'm not technically illiterate. I use R for statistical programming. But I don't know enough about this to make it useful to me. And that's as it should be - you don't need to know how a car works to use one, nor do you generally want to. Time spent reading the manual is time not useful in my life for the things useful to me.
gdarroch

Post by gdarroch »

Can someone help me find the pipe key, so I can get my files off my pc, so I can apply for an important position which closes Wednesday?
nisha
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nisha »

I wud suggest to make a live usb of your choice of linux, boot from it and access the linux partition and copy your data if you can do that

Nisha
Anyone can build a fast processor. The trick is to build a fast system.
gdarroch

Post by gdarroch »

How do I do that? I'm not stupid, but I need a lot of hand-holding.
nisha
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nisha »

gdarroch wrote:How do I do that? I'm not stupid, but I need a lot of hand-holding.
Download linux iso and use the unetbootin or universal usb installer to create bootable usb linux. Boot from the usb and u will have access to all your partition linux and or windows to copy back your data.

Here is a link which might help you understand how to create bootable usb or cd.

[url]http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=52265[/url]

Link for Universal USB Installer works only on widows environment to create bootable linux usb

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/
Link for unetbooting, have version for windows, mac as well linux environment to create bootable linux usb

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
Anyone can build a fast processor. The trick is to build a fast system.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

gdarroch wrote:LM has remapped my keyboard and I can't find the | symbol. Anyone know how to access it?
In my case, with my French Azerty keyboard it's: AltGr + 6 (above the letters, not the numeric keypad) ===> | | |
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)

Return to “Beginner Questions”