How can I uninstall linuxmint 15 mate

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
joelpaz

Re: How can I uninstall linuxmint 15 mate

Post by joelpaz »

Dear Karl,
I finally downloaded the file and succeeded filing it into the home folder also with a usb pendrive into the Mint machine. When I try step 6, I type the indicated command into the terminal but the terminal tells me that it cannot access /home/joel/wireless_script_xtd.sh': No such file or directory.
So what am I doing wrong now?
Yours,
Joel
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, Joel.

Where did you actually save the file?
You might try this command to locate it, assuming the file will be somewhere below /home:

Code: Select all

find /home -name wireless_script\* -print
If the file is found the command will display the pathname on the screen.

Regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
joelpaz

Post by joelpaz »

Hi Karl,
The terminal answers /home/joel/Descargas/wireless_script_xtd.zip
/home/joel/.cache/.fr-vap4rG/wireless_script_xtd.sh
/home/joel/.cache/.fr-UPYXRg/wireless_script_xtd.sh

Note: It seems the only way to boot into Mint is through the recovery mode in 3 or 4 intents.

On standby,
Joel
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Joel.

Extract the file /home/joel/Descargas/wireless_script_xtd.zip to the folder /home/joel/Descargas, please.
If you know how to do so using the graphical Mint archive manager, great, use it.
I will give you the commandlines, because explaining graphical programmes is so much more hassle, than simply posting a few commandlines:

cd /home/joel/Descargas
unzip wireless_script_xtd.zip
chmod +x wireless_script_xtd.sh
The next commandline will execute the script:

./wireless_script_xtd.sh
When prompted enter your password. The script uses sudo to run a few queries. This is why it asks you to enter your password.
After a while, it will tell you that the file wireless_info.txt has been created.
This is the file which will hopefully hold all the needed details to find a solution for your wireless network problem.
The file will be located in the folder /home/joel/Descargas.
Copy it from there to your USB pendrive.
Carry over the pendrive to the Acer notebook and upload the content of the file to http://www.pastebin.com. Post the resulting URL here. Thanks.

Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
joelpaz

Post by joelpaz »

Karl,
Am I correct to think that these last command lines you gave me will extract the file to the folder /home/joel/Descargas? Well I tried the first group of three command lines and the out put was: No such file or directory. Then I tried these first three command lines and the last one included and the output was:No such file or directory. Then I tried to move it myself and I think I succeeded in putting it in the folder home/joel/Descargas because I can visually see it there. And I extracted the file wireless_script_xtd.sh and it's a long text that starts with #!/bin/bash.
Then I went to the terminal again and typed in the first three command lines and clicked enter which takes me to another command line that starts with blue print ~/Descargas $ and I type ./wireless_script_xtd.sh and the output is: Permission denied.
So what can I do now?
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

chmod +x wireless_script_xtd.sh
Make the script executable before running it.
Lifeline
joelpaz

Post by joelpaz »

Dear Karl,
Let me remind you that I don't understand this language so much. When you say "script", what exactly are you referring to? The command line or the extracted text? How do I make the script "executable"? And what do mean by "running"?

Joel,
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Dear, Joel.

However simple the task is that I ask you to carry out, you pretend not to understand a word.
If you really do not understand the most simple commandlines, then I start wondering how you have ever managed to setup two dual boot machines.
If this thread went on at this zero miles per day pace, then we will not have solved your wireless issue by the end of next year.

Therefore I suggest you do your homework first:
Work your way through [url=http://flossmanuals.net/command-line/]Introduction to the Command Line[/url]

No need to expect any further input from my side before you have posted the requested diagnostic logfile. Cf. basic instructions on how to achieve this goal [url=http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?p=767359#p767359]here[/url].

Regards,
Karl
Lifeline
joelpaz

Post by joelpaz »

Dear Karl,
Whatever it takes me to understand the computer language (which I clearly explained that I ignored and that you had to CONDESCEND if we were to take YOUR WAY of fixing instead of my way of simply uninstalling a faulty installation because I don't have the knowledge of SOLID BASIC terminal know-how --that you now demand-), it seems that it will take MUCH MORE TIME for you to understand the simple english language!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Even though I have been enjoying the ubuntu OS for a year and a half, I hardly ever used the terminal, except a couple of times when the Ubuntu community helped me solve some issues, and although I have two machines, this last dual boot is very faulty. It's not only the wireless issue, which you have kindly tried to help me solve, but there is also the booting issue and I can't get Mint to stop fading the screen every 10 minutes no matter if I have configured it to "never". Your impatience or intolerance now leads you to say that I'm PRETENDING not to understand and based on this you show me your whip and demand that I read a whole book (which I browsed through last night and found very interesting) and that I will study at my own pace, NOT AT YOURS. Whether you help me or not, PUT YOUR WHIP AWAY!!!!!!!
No matter how high you are in the computer knowledge ladder you also make mistakes like when you typed the "inxi -Fx" command WRONG and caused a 24 delay on this process but I'm not complaining. Yet you loose your patience when I ask one more question: How do I make it executable? You complain for the delay of one more question, which you could have answered in a short paragraph, and exaggerate that it will take more than a year to solve this.
All of this is because you couldn't, or wouldn't, answer the SIMPLE question that's the title of this thread. I can do it through Windows but I am respectfully trying to do it with Mint. I'm not against doing it your way...but put your whip away!!!!!
Now I will try to give you what you ask but because I ACCEPT that I have to learn a lot, and I'll try to do this before my brother-in -law returns and permits me to use the wired connection.
Finally, with or without your kind help, I find Linuxmint very attractive and interesting and I will have it sooner or later, no matter if it seems somewhat UNHUMAN at first.
So, in case that you dump this thread to trash, "Merry Christmas" this december and the next.
Thank you,
Joel
joelpaz

Post by joelpaz »

Dear Karl,
I'm not sure how I got the result but however this is what I got. I'm not sure if it's complete. Now it's pastebin.com/ F3UvLfWx

Note: I haven't read the whole book yet but while I was browsing it, almost at the end, I found "how to make a script executable". Somehow, I'm glad I asked this newbie question because you recommended this book: Thank you very much. It will be of great value in my learning this new language.

Yours,
Joel
Kath27

Post by Kath27 »

Karlchen, I am sure the document "Introduction to the Command Line" will be useful to many of us newbies. Across this forum many people suggest we learn to use the terminal, but I was at a loss how to do that without some sort of a guide. In fact, I logged on today planning on looking for such a guide. Perhaps you might post that link somewhere it might more easily found.
I will say again how much I have appreciated how helpful many of you have been explaninig things so we beginners can learn to use Linux.
joelpaz

Post by joelpaz »

Dear Kath,
I couldn't find the link for the moment but you might try "Floss Manuals".

Yours,
Joel
Kath27

Post by Kath27 »

Thank you Joel, I just used the link in Karlchen's post above. I was suggesting that the link be somehow posted elsewhere so others with a similar need could find it. Maybe that can only be done by an administrator.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Joel.

Thanks a lot for posting the logfile wireless_info.txt on [url=http://pastebin.com/F3UvLfWx]http://pastebin.com/F3UvLfWx[/url].
Four things which can be found when going through it:
  • The external USB device "Ralink RT2870/RT3070 wireless Adapter usb-ID: 148f:3070" apparently was not connected when the script wireless_script_xtd.sh was run. At least the logfile wireless_info.txt does not mention it at all.
    Therefore nothing can be told about why it will not work at this point in time.
  • The internal wifi adapter Realtek RTL 8188 CE 802.11b/g/n Wifi Adapter driver : rtl8192ce port: 3000 bus-ID: 01:00.0 has been detected by the script:
    ***** lspci *****
    01:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8188CE 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter [10ec:8176] (rev 01)
    Subsystem: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device [10ec:8297]
    Kernel driver in use: rtl8192ce
    (lines 14-17)
  • Line 57 reveals that the internal adapter is hard blocked:
    ***** rfkill *****

0: phy0: Wireless LAN
    Soft blocked: no
    Hard blocked: yes
    (lines 53-57)
    This strongly suggests that the machine has got
    • either a dedicated switch button which can be toggled to switch off / on WLAN and it is in the off state
    • or the frequently used key combination <FN><F2> e.g. can be used to switch on / off WLAN and it is in the off state.

Consult the EKT mini notebook manual in order to find out how to switch the internal wifi adapater on, please. And switch the internal wifi adapter ON.
  • The section about **** interfaces **** suggests that the file /etc/network/interfaces may have been modified manually.
    ***** interfaces *****
    # interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    wireless-(removed)

auto wlan0
    (lines 85-96)
    If this were true then this would prevent Network Manager from administrating the internal wireless adapter.

In order to verify what is in the file execute this commandline, please:

cat /etc/network/interfaces
    [/color]
    Provided there is more in the file than these 3 lines:

# interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback
    execute this commandline in order to edit the file and remove everything except those 3 lines:

gksu gedit /etc/network/interfaces
    [/color]
  • Once you have made sure that the internal wifi adapter has been switched on and that the file /etc/network/interfaces holds only the 3 lines given above, execute these commandlines in order to stop and to restart the Network Manager:

sudo service network-manager stop
    Wait a few seconds. Then

sudo service network-manager start
    Wait a few seconds. Then

sudo service network-manager status
    [/color]The last commandline should display: network-manager start/running, process <number>
  • Now you should be able to click on the Network Manager icon in the lower righthand corner of the screen, select your router and connect to it.
  • In particular in case no WLAN connection can be established still, you may wish to run the script wireless_script_xtd.sh again and upload to fresh logfile wireless_info.txt to pastebin and post the new address here, please.
Hope that everything will ork out fine ...

Kind regards,
Karl
Lifeline
joelpaz

Post by joelpaz »

Hello Karl,
Thank you for answering me !!!
The machine does have Fn+F11 to turn wireless on and off. When I'm in Windows a small window on the upper left of the screen shows momentarily on or off when you press the keys mentioned. But when I'm in Linuxmint, nothing happens and nothing shows when you press those same keys. Usually I check in Windows to make sure that wireless is ON and then boot into Mint. What really puzzles me is How come wireless worked for a full session???? Answer that one if you can....
When I executed the script to get the wireless_info.text for pastebin I didn't have the Ralink usb connected to the EKT machine (but to the Acer), so I repeated the execution and got a fresh wireless_info. text but this time with the Ralink usb connected to the EKT machine and pasted it to pastebin and the new number is pastebin.com/03ZxhCJR.
Today I guess I did something foolish, let me explain. I tried the bootable usb where I have the iso Linuxmint 15 file again on the EKT machine and I got connected to the Internet inmediately via wireless.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I used the internet to check my e-mail just to be sure I wasn't dreaming. And I got so excited that I went ahead and INSTALLED Linuxmint 15 mate again and never took my attention away from the complete installation and the connected to internet icon to make sure I had a "strong" wireless connection through the complete process. So now I have 2 installations of Linuxmint and one of windows7. As soon as the installation was complete I restarted but now I can't boot into any of the Linuxmint installations. I suppose that the problem I had with the booting got worse. Linuxmint shows it's initial screen, where you have the fancy green LM in the center but freezes there. Sometimes it freezes in the recovery mode and you don't even get to this initial screen. But let's see first what you find in the wireless_info.text.
Yours,
Joel
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Joel.
But let's see first what you find in the wireless_info.text.
Short answer: nothing.
http://pastebin.com/03ZxhCJR wrote:This paste has been removed!
As you performed a second installation of Mint 15 on your EKT mini notebook, the question might be anyway whether that wireless_info.txt was of any relevance still.
I went ahead and INSTALLED Linuxmint 15 mate again
This leaves the questions open:
  • How did you install? Which option did you choose? - Install alongside Windows? - Install replacing the existing Mint 15 installation? - Something else?
  • Are there now two separate Mint 15 installations on your disk? Or is there just one?
  • Did you not want to have Mint 15 Cinnamon instead of Mate?
  • Where did you put the Grub bootloader?
Hm, seems to be a never ending story. After 13 days you do not seem to be any closer to achieving your goal of replacing Mate by Cinnamon than in the beginning.

Karl
Lifeline
joelpaz

Post by joelpaz »

:D Hello Karl,
Pastebin probably removed the wireless_info.text because it was extremely long. But anyway yesterday I found out that you were correct in your first analysis of the wireless_info.text and after I finally booted into the new installation on Linuxmint 15 mate (which I did connected to the internet this time) I found out that the internal switch which enables wireless by pressing Fn+F11 WAS THE MAIN PROBLEM. My mistake was that I had pressed those keys before many times but as I didn't see the small window that says "ON" or "OFF" I would press those keys again thinking that I was leaving the machine as it was before. Also my mistake was that I thought that since this switch was "ON" in the windows OS then it had to be on when I booted into Linuxmint. Even though no window appears momentarily in Linuxmint 15 (as in windows) it works but it takes a little longer (while in windows it's instantaneous). I tested it a few times and it enables wireless always. So please excuse this newbie confusion of mine, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!! In a certain way, I'm glad that all this happened because you taught me a lot and you recommended that I learn the commands in the terminal (which I will study and learn in a few months --I hope).
I did the last installation alongside the other 2 installations (Linuxmint 15 mate and windows 7) and it appears in the very top of the booting screen and is highlighted and after that there's the same but in recovery mode. Then there's 2 memory tests, then 2 Windows and finally 2 more Linuxmint 15 Olivia (which I suppose is the initial installation on Mint and that now I can't log into at all). I remember in this last installation the partition appeared something like 70.1 GB and 89 GB on the divided rectangular square that represents the partitions when they're asking you how to install. Logged into windows shows the same space as before for windows 7 (around 139 GB). So now, I suppose I should delete the initial installation of Linuxmint to give more space to the new installation. I would appreciate your help guiding me in this process and maybe also tell me how to uninstall windows 7 if I decided to do that in the VERY near future. I suppose I would simply do a new installation of Mint 15 erasing windows.
I had explained to you that I wanted to install Mint 15 Cinnamon because the wireless connection had worked for a full session, but for the moment I guess I'll stick to Mint 15 Mate. During this last installation I didn't do anything concerning the Grub bootloader. This will be my last problem to fix because it takes me less time to log in to Linuxmint now although sometimes it logs in in one or two tries and sometimes it takes about half and hour. I have this question in another thread and one reply but I didn't understand the strange computer language.
So the wireless problem is SOLVED and now I just want to give more space to this new installation and boot in quickly. Your valuable advice will be appreciated very much.
Thank you very much Karl,
Regards,
Joel
t
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Joel.

Glad to learn that you solved the wireless adapter mystery. :-)

State of Wireless Adapter

Telling from my own experience the wireless adapter will have the status in which Windows left it behind when Mint boots up. - As you expected it, too.
Maybe the behaviour of the <FN><F11> key is specific to your machine. I cannot really tell. - I remember though a few old Asus machines where the <Alt><F2> key had to be pressed once after each reboot, because the adapter would switch off automatically.

About the missing visual feedback. My Acer Aspire One D260 lacks a little LED which might give a visual feedback on the status of the wireless adapter. Yet, after logging in to the xfce desktop I will be able to tell from the network manager icon left of the mintUpdate shield icon whether wireless is available (adapter on), because if the machine has got no network connection at all the network manager icon will be grayed out.
If the wireless adapter is on then a popup in the upper righthand corner will be displayed for a few seconds telling me that the connection to my router has been established.

Removing the First Mint 15 Mate Installation and Keeping the Recent One

In order to remove the older Mint 15 Mate installation, it will be necessary to identify beyond doubt
+ which disk partitions exist
+ what their names are in Linux terms and
+ which disk partitio holds which operating system.

Of course there are several ways to achieve this goal. But as a programme named GParted will be used later on to release the disk partition(s) where the old Mint 15 Mate installation lives, we as well use GParted in order to get a detailled overview of the existing disk partitions.

Ironically, GParted will be present and used during the Mint installation. But at the end, the installer will remove it. So you will have to re-install it now.
There are at least two ways of installing GParted:
Either you use Synaptic package manager, locate gparted in the software list, select it for installation and click [Apply].
Or you use the commandline and execute these 2 commands in the given order:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install gparted
Once the installation has finished the GParted icon should be found in [Menu] => System => GParted or [Menu] => System Management => GParted. - Launching GParted will require root privileges, i.e. you will be prompted to enter your password in order to launch GParted with root privileges.

What will the GParted output look like on a machine that comes with
(1) Windows 7 as its primary operating system
(2) Linux Mint as its second operating system (old installation)
(3) Linux Mint as its third operating system (new installation)?

There is a machine here which has got a pretty similar layout:
(1) Windows 7 as its primary operating system
(2) Ubuntu as its second operating system
(3) Linux Mint as its third operating system
This machine will be used to illustrate what to expect and how to interpret what GParted displays.

[rimg]http://i.imgur.com/CPjrsUz.png[/rimg]
(GParted picture of disk holding 3 Windows 7 partitions and 4 Linux partitions)

The Windows partitions can be identified easily. Their "File System" type is NTFS.
The 3 Linux partitions can be identified easily, too. Thier "File System" type is EXT4.
The 4th Linux partition has got the "File System" type "linxu-swap". It is the swap partition.
The GParted image displays only 1 entry in the column "Mount Point": /.
This means that only the partition /dev/sda6 is currently mounted on the mount point /. This is the root filesystem of the currently active Linux system.
And because there are no other active mount points the whole Linux system seems to live in the root filesystem.

In this case it is easy to identify which Linux partition not to touch with GParted now: /dev/sda6.

Yet, how to verify this is really the currently booted Linux system?
Open a terminal window and execute this command:

mount
The result here is:

$ mount
/dev/sda6 on / type ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
none on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620)
tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,size=10%,mode=0755)
none on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,size=5242880)
none on /run/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
gvfs-fuse-daemon on /home/karl/.gvfs type fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=karl)
/dev/sde1 on /media/INTENSO type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,uid=1000,gid=1000,shortname=mixed,dmask=0077,utf8=1,showexec,flush,uhelper=udisks)
A bit confusing, isn't it?
What you are looking for are mounted disk partitions.
As can be told from the GParted screenshot, all disk partitions start with the string "/dev/sd". (You will notice soon, why I did not say "/dev/sda".)
So look for mounted disk partitions in the screen output of the mount command:

mount | grep "/dev/sd"
There result on the machine here is:

mount | grep "/dev/sd"
/dev/sda6 on / type ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
/dev/sde1 on /media/INTENSO type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,uid=1000,gid=1000,shortname=mixed,dmask=0077,utf8=1,showexec,flush,uhelper=udisks)
Oops.
Only a few lines above I had stated that GParted had shown only /dev/sda6 were mounted on /.
Now it can be seen /dev/sde1 is mounted on /media/INTENSO, too.
How comes?
The answer is trivial:
As can be seen GParted will always only check one physical disk at a time. And it has checked the internal harddisk /dev/sda.
This is why the screenshot does not display anything about /dev/sde1.
Yet, no reason for alarm in this case: /dev/sde1 is of type "vfat", no Linux filesystem. - It is a USB pendrive attached to the machine. It can be safely ignored.

Conclusion:
If we wanted to remove the older Linux installation on this machine, we could tell GParted to format the partition on /dev/sda5 e.g.

I hope I did not create too much confusion.

I would like to ask you
+ to boot into the newer Linux Mint 15 installation
+ to create a GParted screenshot on your EKT mini notebook and post it here.
+ to post the output of the mount command.

Both together should help find out which partitions not too modify or remove in any case and which one(s) can be re-formatted in order to remove the older Linux Mint installation.

Kind regards,
Karl
Last edited by karlchen on Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: replaced locally stored screenshot by link to screenshot uploaded on imgur.com
Lifeline
bjb744

Post by bjb744 »

How do i change linux from auto to manualcontrol from desktop
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

bjb744 wrote:How do i change linux from auto to manualcontrol from desktop
Please, do not hijack a random thread in order to ask a question which is unrelated to this thread.
Create a new thread, please. Give it a meaningful title. And be a bit more precise about what your question really is. I do not understand the meaning of your question. Sorry.
Lifeline

Return to “Installation & Boot”