LMDE Update Pack 7

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

LMDE Update Pack 7

Post by clem »

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2455
Paulm

Re: LMDE Update Pack 7

Post by Paulm »

Many thanks to Clem and all LMDE devs for Pack 7

Up dated my LMDE-MATE from pack 6

Only had three problems:
1) Thumbnails had no pictures.

2) Had excessive CPU use with system at Idle. caused by Caja
FIX was to open Caja edit>Preferences>Preview and change "show thumbnails" to 'never'
the CPU use returns to normal then.

3) Skype had no sound. (all other audio apps normal)
FIX go to http://www.geekyboy.com/?s=skype
and add at the end of line: load-module > use_ucm=0 tsched=0 <
Save, and it should work again.
Suit

Post by Suit »

I ended up with a black screen at restart and when I clicked the menu to restart the text that would show Shut Down, Restart, Cancel, Etc were little squares with no text.

I installed Grub to Dev/SDA, but said yes to replace existing files.
I reinstalled and had a new set of issues. I said NO to replacing existing files. Cinnamon would not install and would not boot into the normal menu and could not get past the log in screen.

Suggestions? What did I do wrong?
cliffskoog
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cliffskoog »

I also have encountered high CPU use with Caja. Hope a fix is on the agenda: 'preview' is helpful. Is Caja busy building a cache of all the user files? Does its CPU fever eventually subside?

Also, this update pack was too large! I had to relocate the apt cache on one of my machines to accommodate all the unpacking.

One of my two upgrades (old Dell 32 bit dual core) went amazingly well, considering all the messing around I'd done with that installation previously. But the other, on an AMD64 Toshiba, which should have been straightforward, in the end would only boot into a black screen when X was supposed to start--I had to reinstall from scratch.

I continue to appreciate LMDE -- though, again, such a large update pack, I think, is asking for trouble.

Thanks for the great OS!
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

Just wanted to say a big thank you to Clem and all the devs at Linux Mint. Up7 went smooth for my laptop, and desktop, no problems with either one.

Thanks again, and keep up the good work. :D
cjorsinger

Post by cjorsinger »

Thanks to the LMDE devs for continuing to try to merge Mint with Debian. I'm looking at it as a way of putting a modern environment on an old computer. It's hosted on a 3.0 GHz P4 with 2GB of RAM, which is mostly adequate. With MATE running a Firefox browser, UP7 uses about 440 MBytes of RAM, which suggests that a 512MB RAM system would be adequate. That's good. For some reason, certain programs don't run very well, particularly GIMP. That's not so good (I'm using an Nvidia FX 5200 video card with the nouveau driver). I can't find any useful diagnostics on that one, or I'd have posted a comment.

I, too, am seeing the problem with Caja not displaying thumbnails. I wrote about it here;

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=198&p=767562#p767562

In answer to cliffskoog's questions:
Is Caja busy building a cache of all the user files? Does its CPU fever eventually subside?
Yes, it is building a cache of proper thumbnails. No, I haven't seen the fever subside. Most of the CPU use, as measured by top, is in the user domain. This leads me to guess that the problem is that Caja keeps looking for some event or file it can't find.

EDIT/afterthough: The performance issue with GIMP and X is a long-standing one, which predates UP7. I just haven't been able to figure out how to describe it in a way that a system builder or soft
akabanekuroido

Post by akabanekuroido »

Hello,
I installed LMDE updatepack 7 on one i3 Intel, 2 Coreduo Intels and one AMD. On all 4 computers DVD’s don’t mount, meaning don’t appear on the desktop. After starting Diskutilty DVD’s mount, “appear” on the desktop. I was thinking of reinstalling pmount and mount, but don’t know if that is wise to do. Any suggestions?
Also after the recent Caja update. sound preview crashes and keeps playing the music. I use LMDE Mate.
On all other parts updatepack seems to work fine.
M_aD
Level 4
Level 4

Post by M_aD »

I'm doing a reinstall of LMDE on my netbook since the UP 7 gave me nothing but trouble when upgrading, broken packages, partial installation of the updates etc etc. This will be the last attempt and last time.
LMDE should have UP's every month or at least every two months to avoid problems. There's just too much time between each UP release and i believe that is what causes so much trouble amongst various users.
M_aD
Level 4
Level 4

Post by M_aD »

Got the netbook updated with UP 7. After i went through the trouble again i opened the terminal and did a sudo apt-get update ansd sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

Lost the whole Cinnamon desktop somewhere halfway the upgrade process, only the wallpaper showing and couldn't see when the updates were done, so i had to press the power button to shut down the machine and start up again.
I checked, with the terminal, if everything was done but it wasn't so i had to run a sudo dpkg --configure -a and complete it. 2 packages were held back though.

If this is the way to go with every release of the UP's plus the fact of the troubles reported here on the forum and the blog, the future of LMDE doesn't look too bright from my point of view......
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

SolydXK has a much better update policy.

IMHO Mint should drop the non LTS versions and focus on LMDE and the LTS versions.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2
milamber

Post by milamber »

Hello,

after installation of UP7 apache2 is no longer working as a subversion server.
It seems, that mod_dav_svn was removed and is not installable again - does anyone know how to fix it?

Thanks.
M_aD
Level 4
Level 4

Post by M_aD »

Bolle1961 wrote:SolydXK has a much better update policy.
Not only that.... the update manager has been improved that much that you don't have to reinstall a nvidia driver manually for example after a kernel upgrade, it's handled by the update manager itself now.
IMHO Mint should drop the non LTS versions and focus on LMDE and the LTS versions.
LMDE has never been a priority and never will be as far as i know, the main editions will always have that priority. But i agree with you on that the mint team should drop the non LTS releases and focus on the LTS versions some more and LMDE of course.
I can't understand why these non LTS releases are still around when Ubuntu cut down support to 9 months forcing people to upgrade or re-install every six months because they refuse to run a LTS version and always want newer software. There are a lot people complaining about that too.

The non LTS releases for Ubuntu i can understand because it's their playground to try out stuff.... but for Mint i'm not sure that's the case.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”