My Uncles Windows XP isnt recognized in a dual-boot install

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
aaronbarnett316

My Uncles Windows XP isnt recognized in a dual-boot install

Post by aaronbarnett316 »

I currently have My Uncles Computer its not recognizing his Windows XP it wont even show it as even being there in GRUB what can I do about this mess? He has pictures and GPS Waypoints that He wants to keep intact. I have tried a repair install of Windows XP and it has taken a very long time to do it and I think he has a bad Hard Drive but im unsure about that. I am usually on top of these things but with my health issues I cant do things as good as I could with PCs :x
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kukamuumuka

Re: My Uncles Windows XP isnt recognized in a dual-boot inst

Post by kukamuumuka »

If XP is still there, you can see it via filemanager like Caja. You can also see XP via command line.

Code: Select all

sudo blkid
I think that grub probably is installed to XP´s partition, so there is a wrong type boot flag, which prevents XP to boot. Boot Info Script tells boot flags and something more.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/bootinfoscript/

You can run the script using command

Code: Select all

sudo ./bootinfoscript
Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Re: My Uncles Windows XP isnt recognized in a dual-boot inst

Post by Mark Phelps »

To see if the XP filesystem is still there, open a terminal and enter "sudo fdisk -lu" (lowercase L, not a one) to list out the partitions to confirm that the XP filesystem still exists.

If the XP filesystem is still there, then try adding it to GRUB using "sudo update-grub".

Return to “Installation & Boot”