How can I install an epson scanner on linux mint 14?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fra

How can I install an epson scanner on linux mint 14?

Post by Fra »

Hi guys,

I have this beautiful epson scanner that I bought a while ago, when I had a microsoft computer. Since I installed linux (thanks god !) I have never used it anymore because I couldn't figure out how to install it. I thought it would work as a plug-and-play, but I was wrong...

Can you please help me?

Thanks.

F.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Beardedragon

Re: How can I install an epson scanner on linux mint 14?

Post by Beardedragon »

You are just missing a GUI (Graphical User Interface) I suggest "xine," you can find it in Synaptic Package Manager. The application will look for your hardware when you start it up, so be sure the scanner is on and plugged into your USB port.
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

@Beardedragon I guess you mean xsane, xine is a video player :wink:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=xine&suite=default&section=all&arch=any&searchon=names

@Fra you probably need the Epson drivers
http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/search/01/search/?OSC=LX
Beardedragon

Post by Beardedragon »

Bolle1961 wrote:@Beardedragon I guess you mean xsane, xine is a video player :wink:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=xine&suite=default&section=all&arch=any&searchon=names
You are correct, sorry for the misprint. The OP will still need a GUI.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

Go to the Seiko Epson Download Centre, enter the details of the scanner and it will find the appropriate driver.

http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/search/01/search/?OSC=LX
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
duncan222

Post by duncan222 »

If all else fails consider Viewscan which can be used either on Linux or Windows.
I Spent hours trying to get Linux to recognise my Epson 2480 Scanner but despite downloading Xsane along with the necessary drivers I got nowhere.
You do have to pay for the program but at least it can be downloaded and used for free as long as you like but printouts will contain their logo all over the scanned page.
Fra

Post by Fra »

Ok, thanks to you all guys ! I have installed the Xsane program, but the scanner wouldn't work yet. So I went to the epson site and actually found the driver. Now I have got 2 problems... which driver should I choose between these and how do I install it ?

iscan-plugin-gt-1500-2.2.0-1.i386.rpm
iscan-plugin-gt-1500-2.2.0-1.md5
iscan-plugin-gt-1500-2.2.0-1.x86_64.rpm
iscan-plugin-gt-1500_2.2.0-1_amd64.deb
iscan-plugin-gt-1500_2.2.0-1_i386.deb

F
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

Use one of these, depending on your architecture. The first is for 64-bit systems.
To install from a .deb file just double click on it.

iscan-plugin-gt-1500_2.2.0-1_amd64.deb
iscan-plugin-gt-1500_2.2.0-1_i386.deb
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon

Return to “Beginner Questions”