[SOLVED] maya 13 flash player how to

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sorcerer

[SOLVED] maya 13 flash player how to

Post by sorcerer »

hi,

i have Linux Mint Maya 13 with updated to the day

flash player doesn't work either in firefox or chromium-browser
i installed adobe-flashplugin, then installed mint-flashplugin-11

i dig around and i installed flashplugin-installer

Code: Select all

apt-get install flashplugin-installer                         
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Suggested packages:
  x-ttcidfont-conf ttf-mscorefonts-installer ttf-xfree86-nonfree xfs
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  flashplugin-installer
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/6918 B of archives.
After this operation, 139 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Preconfiguring packages ...
Selecting previously unselected package flashplugin-installer.
(Reading database ... 184407 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking flashplugin-installer (from .../flashplugin-installer_11.2.202.310ubuntu0.12.04.1_i386.deb) ...
Processing triggers for update-notifier-common ...
flashplugin-installer: downloading http://archive.canonical.com/pool/partner/a/adobe-flashplugin/adobe-flashplugin_11.2.202.310.orig.tar.gz
Installing from local file /tmp/tmpBtNgeF.gz
Flash Plugin installed.
Setting up flashplugin-installer (11.2.202.310ubuntu0.12.04.1) ...
how you can see, at installing it did downloaded the latest flashplugin but still not working :(

any ideea ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: maya 13 flash player how to

Post by karlchen »

Hello, sorcerer.
flash player doesn't work either in firefox or chromium-browser
I cannot tell anything about chromium. It might bring along its own flash player like chrome does, it might not.

Yet, on all my various Mint 13 systems inside Firefox 24 flash player 11.2.202.310 works as fine as can be expected of a flashplayer:
+ I have banned mint-flash-plugin-11 because it is always older than the current Adobe release
+ On some Mint 13 systems I use adobe-flashplugin, got from the normal repositories
+ On some Mint 13 systems I use flashplugin-installer, got from the normal repositories
They both install the same recent flash-player plugin anyway.

Have you checked inside Firefox on the plugins page that flash has been activated?
Have you visited [url=http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/]the Adobe player testing page[/url]? What does it tell you about your flash player?
In case it tells you
You have version 11,2,202,310 installed
then your flash player has been installed correctly and will work correctly.

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
sorcerer

Post by sorcerer »

chrome and chromium don't come with flash on linux, i tested both, they both report "Could not load Shockwave Flash."
i did tested firefox with an on line radio which play sound over flash

firefox don't display anything on flashplayer about, chrome and chromium display the error i mentioned above and where supposed to be "you have version ... installed" there is a grey spot with "Couldn't load plug-in"

PS chromium come with mint, chrome is downloaded from http://google.com/chrome, they may be the exact same browser but i can run then both in the same time (don't mix with each-other)
also, my guess is that may have something to do with this:

cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 6
model : 10
model name : mobile AMD Athlon(tm) XP-M 2400+
stepping : 0
cpu MHz : 663.395
cache size : 512 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mp mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow up
bogomips : 1326.79
clflush size : 32
cache_alignment : 32
address sizes : 34 bits physical, 32 bits virtual
power management: ts fid vid

lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. P/KN266 Host Bridge
00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8633 [Apollo Pro266 AGP]
00:09.0 CardBus bridge: ENE Technology Inc CB-710/2/4 Cardbus Controller (rev 01)
00:10.0 USB controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 80)
00:10.1 USB controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 80)
00:10.3 USB controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 82)
00:11.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8235 ISA Bridge
00:11.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06)
00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 50)
00:11.6 Communication controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 80)
00:12.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 [Rhine-II] (rev 74)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: S3 Graphics Ltd. VT8375 [ProSavage8 KM266/KL266]

yes, i know, is an old fart of a laptop, but wattahell, monitor is working so i can use it with one (browser) window at the time :)
Last edited by sorcerer on Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, sorcerer.

Thanks for the details about Chromium and Chrome on Linux. :-)

You might be right that current Flash player versions and very old graphics cards do not co-operate to well.
I vaguely remember that in the past I read some threads where indeed very old graphics equipment forced users to stick with Flash player 10.x, because 11.2.x.x simply would not work. Have not bookmarked such a thread sadly. So I will have to use the forum search function and maybe Google, too, to retrieve any of these threads.

Let me repeat my question from my previous post:
Have you visited [url=http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/]the Adobe player testing page[/url]? What does it tell you about your flash player?

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
sorcerer

Post by sorcerer »

karlchen wrote:Hello, sorcerer.

Let me repeat my question from my previous post:
sorry for confusion, I used that page before and i call it "flash player about" be cause if you look at the link it is:
[url=http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/]the Adobe player testing page - http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/[/url]

and i did answer it:
firefox don't display anything on flashplayer about, chrome and chromium display the error i mentioned above and where supposed to be "you have version ... installed" there is a grey spot with "Couldn't load plug-in"
and thank you for your answer, i will try to dig about flash player 10, that's the only thing that makes sense, the plugin fail to load with some error, and that's not show on web page
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, sorcerer.

Yeah, sorry, after having sent my previous post I realized that you had indeed told us that the Adobe web page did not deetect any installed flash player plugin. So repeating my question would not have been necessary. :oops:

OK, so far, so bad. What does Firefox display on the Tools => Addons => Plugins page? Does it list any Flash Player there?

[rimg]http://i.imgur.com/KRkdQPG.png[/rimg]
(Firefox => Tools => Addons => Plugins => Flash Player)

Kind regards,
Karl
Last edited by karlchen on Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: replaced locally stored screenshot by link to screenshot uploaded on imgur.com
Lifeline
nwmntr

Post by nwmntr »

Since this thread topic - malfunctioning Flash player - is what I'm experiencing, too, I thought I'd present my problem here even though I'm running LM15 Mate 32-bit inside of XP Pro. My computer is a Sony Vaio, Pentinum 4 @ 2.66, with a sad 488 amount of RAM.

I have absolutely no problems with the Flash player while running XP.

With LM15, though, all I can get on any website (including forums.linuxmint.com) using the Flash player is the left half of the full viewing frame consisting of green and lavender shades of lines and shadows, while the right side of the frame is totally black. The frame tools along the bottom panel - start button, volume, enlarge screen, etc - are all scrunched-up into the left side of the frame. I can start the vid with the panel start arrow and as soon as it starts the sound does, too.

The Adobe page tells me I have the current version installed, but I get the same horrifically distorted image on its test page.

I tried turning off hardware acceleration and it worked...kind of and temporarily. After disabling it and restarting FF, I visited Youtube to see if it would make a diff and was thankfully greeted by the standard full black viewing frame with the start arrow in the middle. I clicked on the arrow and the vid and sound started just as it should. Then, to test further, I clicked on another video...and the initial video began playing again. I stopped it and clicked another video; the player started and began playing the same, initial video again. Long story short: I could get no other vid to play. As I had some other business to attend to at that time, I shut down the computer thinking I'd return shortly and go from there. When I did restart FF and ventured back to Youtube, I was immediately greeted with the original horrifically distorted viewing frame that I'm still experiencing now.

I read above the point above about earlier versions of Flash working better with older hardware, yet i'm still puzzled there because Flash works fine under XP.

Shockwave Flash 11, 2, 202, 310 is currently activated under FF's Tools/Add-ons/Plugins. Also currently enrolled at the same destination are DivX Web Player (activated), Iced-Tea Web Plugin (disabled now, but it hasn't had any effect on the Flash problem when it's been activated, either), QuickTime Plug-in (disabled now, but it hasn't had any effect on the Flash problem when it's been activated, either), VLC Multimedia Plugin (disabled now, but it hasn't had any effect on the Flash problem when it's been activated, either), and Windows Media Player Plugin (disabled now, but it hasn't had any effect on the Flash problem when it's been activated, either).

Personally, I'd absolutely love to not have anything to do with Adobe whatsoever, but Flash is obviously a huge part of the Web and I'm not aware of how to reap its benefits without employing its use. I plan on building a computer in a couple of months and won't have any old/weak hardware issues to have as an excuse, and I plan on installing Mint as the only OS. But I got to get Flash to play, or at least understand the true reason I can't get it to play now.

And, what's going to happen with Linux's use of Flash as Adobe quits supporting Linux with this latest release?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, nwmntr.
nwmntr wrote:I'm running LM15 Mate 32-bit inside of XP Pro.
Really inside? A virtual machine running inside the running Windows XP? Or did you install Mint 15 by running mint4win.exe? In this case only the first part of the Mint 15 installation was done inside Windows XP. But when you boot you have to select to startup either "Windows XP" or "Linux Mint". Which in turn means Linux Mint 15 lives on your Windows partition, but it does not run inside Windows.
My computer is a Sony Vaio, Pentinum 4 @ 2.66, with a sad 488 amount of RAM.
No typing error? 488 MB of RAM? In this case there may not be enough RAM to run Mint plus Firefox plus the flash player. If the machine has got to little RAM I tend to assume the graphics card is not particularly strong either. So chances are the graphics card is part of the problem as well.

Can you post the screen output of the commandline

inxi -Fx
please. This will give us a concise overview of your system configuration (hard- and software).

Kind regards,
Karl
Lifeline
palo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palo »

Hi sorcerer - Wondering if you took karlchen's excellent advice about downgrading flash. There is a version in the repo "mint-flashplugin-10.2 that may work for you (actually anything below 11.2 should work). Although Chrome comes with flash, any version above (I think) 20 will not work either. The reason seems to be related to your CPU flags:
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mp mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow up
Let us know how you make out.

Pat
nwmntr

Post by nwmntr »

karlchen wrote:\Can you post the screen output of the commandline

inxi -Fx
please. This will give us a concise overview of your system configuration (hard- and software).

Kind regards,
Karl
Thanks for responding, Karl.

Here's what I get:
System: Host: linuxmint Kernel: 3.8.0-19-generic i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.7.3) Desktop: N/A Distro: Linux Mint 15 Olivia
Machine: System: Sony product: PCV-RS410(UC) version: 28003935
Mobo: ASUSTeK model: KIRIN-V version: REV 1.xx Bios: Award version: 2002 date: 09/10/2003
CPU: Single core Intel Pentium 4 CPU (-UP-) cache: 512 KB flags: (sse sse2) bmips: 5359.82 clocked at 2679.913 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device bus-ID: 00:02.0
X.Org: 1.13.3 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1024x768@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 845G x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 1.3 Mesa 9.1.4 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio: Card: Intel 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller driver: snd_intel8x0 ports: 9000 8800 bus-ID: 00:1f.5
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.8.0-19-generic
Network: Card: Realtek RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ driver: 8139too ver: 0.9.28 port: b800 bus-ID: 01:0d.0
IF: eth0 state: unknown speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: 00:0c:6e:b5:de:b4
Drives: HDD Total Size: 120.0GB (33.3% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: ST3120022A size: 120.0GB
Partition: ID: / size: 17G used: 4.2G (26%) fs: ext4
RAID: No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors: None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info: Processes: 135 Uptime: 5:24 Memory: 230.0/488.2MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.7.3 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4
sorcerer

Post by sorcerer »

System:    Host: llsrc Kernel: 3.2.0-54-generic i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.6.3) Console: tty 2 Distro: Linux Mint 13 Maya
Machine:   System: Packard Bell NEC (portable) product: EasyNote version: PB07400061 serial: 297300330122 
           Mobo: NEC S model: NEC Versa Premium version: 5a serial: 0123456789ABCDEF
           Bios: Insyde version: R2.05 date: 04/16/2004
CPU:       Single core mobile AMD Athlon XP-M 2400+ (-UP-) cache: 512 KB flags: (sse) bmips: 1326.79 clocked at 663.395 MHz 
Graphics:  Card: S3 Graphics VT8375 [ProSavage8 KM266/KL266] bus-ID: 01:00.0 
           X.org: 1.11.3 drivers: savage (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) tty size: 175x89 Advanced Data: N/A for root out of X
Audio:     Card: VIA VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller driver: snd_via82xx port: e100 bus-ID: 00:11.5
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: 1.0.24
Network:   Card: VIA VT6102 [Rhine-II] driver: via-rhine port: e300 bus-ID: 00:12.0
           IF: eth0 state: unknown speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: 00:40:d0:5a:41:60
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 30.0GB (46.7% used) 1: /dev/sda ST93015A 30.0GB 37C 
Partition: ID: / size: 7.9G used: 4.2G (57%) fs: ext4 
Sensors:   Error: You do not have the sensors app installed.
Info:      Processes: 103 Uptime: 9 min Memory: 176.1/464.3MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.6.3 Client: Shell inxi: 1.7.33 
in that firefox add-on page there is a "Shockwave Flash 11,2,202,310" and it is set as "Always Activate"
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, sorcerer. Hello, nwmntr.

Hm. Your inxi reports suggest that both machines are pretty feeble from today's point of view. I wonder whether switching off hardware acceleration explicitly, in case it has been switched on, inside Firefox may have a positive effect.
Edit => Preferences => Tools (rightmost icon) => tab "Common" (leftmost tab) => section "Browsing" => [_] Hardware acceleration if available. In fact I would switch off all 4 options here.
Also I wonder whether downgrading to an older Flash Player, 10.2, as suggested by palo, may help. - On Mint 13 mint-flashplugin-10.2 is available in the software list. Cannot tell about Mint 15. - From a security point of view using outdated flash player plugins cannot be recommended, because they will have known security holes and exploits for these holes will be available.

I am afraid there is not much you can do.

Kind regards,
Karl
Lifeline
nwmntr

Post by nwmntr »

karlchen wrote:Hello, sorcerer. Hello, nwmntr.

Hm. Your inxi reports suggest that both machines are pretty feeble from today's point of view. I wonder whether switching off hardware acceleration explicitly, in case it has been switched on, inside Firefox may have a positive effect.
Edit => Preferences => Tools (rightmost icon) => tab "Common" (leftmost tab) => section "Browsing" => [_] Hardware acceleration if available. In fact I would switch off all 4 options here.
Also I wonder whether downgrading to an older Flash Player, 10.2, as suggested by palo, may help. - On Mint 13 mint-flashplugin-10.2 is available in the software list. Cannot tell about Mint 15. - From a security point of view using outdated flash player plugins cannot be recommended, because they will have known security holes and exploits for these holes will be available.

I am afraid there is not much you can do.

Kind regards,
Karl
Thanks for replying again, Karl.

I've had hardware acceleration disabled for a while now, and I took your recommendation and disabled the other three, too - unfortunately, to no positive effect.

I don't think I'll try installing an older flash player, specifically because of the vulnerability issue you raised. I'll just surf with XP when I have to deal with flash for now, and expect I won't have the same issue when I build the computer I'm planning to in a month or 2.

Thanks again for your help, Karl - I appreciate it.
sorcerer

Post by sorcerer »

installing mint-flashplugin-10.2 did the trick
thank you
is a little annoying that i have to click on every piece of flash to allow it to run, but it have the option to remember it (so i don't have to allow it again on that explicit page) but it also means that i can allow it only on trusted pages (and i only use it on very few) so i don't have to worry about security

again THANK YOU

Return to “Sound”