Saucy Salamander is a fiasco: The worst Ubuntu release ever

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Brahim Salem

Saucy Salamander is a fiasco: The worst Ubuntu release ever

Post by Brahim Salem »

Yesterday, i installed ubuntu 13.10 codename Saucy Salamander alongside Linux Mint 13 Mate and Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and I was surprised at the mess i got: Scripts not working, when i try to install Google earth it says things about dependencies not satisfied and all, flickering plymouth and unity greeter, constant freezing and the list is longer and is still growing i think! What's happening guys! Does that mean we will inherit this mess on Linux Mint 16 Petra!!!!!!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
passerby

Re: Saucy Salamander is a fiasco: The worst Ubuntu release e

Post by passerby »

I've seen complaints about Google Chrome, Skype and other popular software not playing nice with 13.10 as well.
On the bright side, Mint releases are typically a month behind the Ubuntu releases, by which point the most prominent issues are usually fixed.

Either way, I'll be waiting for Mint 17 before swapping again :P
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

I think Linux Mint team have to rebuild this Ubuntu release all over to get to the usual Mint stability :D I stillwonder what's the use on an OS that doesn't run any common software :lol: :lol:
nomko

Post by nomko »

The problem is not really Ubuntu, the problem lies in most software applications not ready for use on Ubuntu 13.10. As Ubuntu 13.10 was released yesterday (17th of October 2013) most applications like Google earth, Spotify, etc. has to be updated in order to run with the latest packages added to Ubuntu 13.10.

As example: when you try to install Google earth and Google earth needs a certain library file with version number 1.0, it will look for that library file with version number 1.0. If that library file has been updated on Ubuntu 13.10 to a newer version, let's say version 2.0, then you will get a dependency error saying that library file version 1.0 could not be found and as such Google Earth will not be installed.

Keep the developers all those software applications some time, after a while you can run those applications on Ubuntu13.10. Or you can downgrade the files (at your risk) or find the required file(s) on the internet. But keep in mind that installing an older version might end up in downgrading the latest version.
recluce

Post by recluce »

WIth the current support periods, anything but the LTS versions are just experimental releases anyway, in my opinion. I see no practical use in an operating system that has 9 months of support at best. In that light, I really don't believe this to be an issue. If Ubuntu 14.04LTS should turn out to be a gong show, that would be whole different kettle of fish.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

I'm running 13.10 and was running it in development during it's last 3 months before release...in fact, i re-installed today using the final and it's been excellent all the way through...as previously pointed out, you are talking about certain things that have to get updated to a new release...that's all...

I know some on the mint forums like to find a reason...ANY reason to bash ubuntu but you are just not being fair...If ubuntu was horrible, then i am sure Clem would NOT use it for a base...so obviously HE thinks a lot better of it then YOU do...

Over at the ubuntu forums, the majority of us are very respectful to mint users who post there...it's a shame i can't always say that about the reverse over here... :roll:

One of the first reviews of 13.10 from you tube (of the final release):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cKOo2quJwc
Last edited by craig10x on Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

Every bushel of apples has a bad one or two, that doesn't mean the whole bushel is bad. :mrgreen:
M_aD
Level 4
Level 4

Post by M_aD »

passerby wrote:I've seen complaints about Google Chrome, Skype and other popular software not playing nice with 13.10 as well.
On the bright side, Mint releases are typically a month behind the Ubuntu releases, by which point the most prominent issues are usually fixed.

Either way, I'll be waiting for Mint 17 before swapping again :P
Currently Google Chrome Stable isn't installable and can't be upgraded on any of the Mint and Ubuntu distro's because Google changed something i believe and depends on the following.... see the pic below:

[img]http://i.minus.com/j2eXRFxiVxtKC_xs.jpg[/img]

Direct link for a bigger view: http://i.minus.com/i2eXRFxiVxtKC.png

I'm not sure if this problem also occures on the 64 bit version but this i got on LMDE and Mint 13 Xfce, both 32bit. I don't know if other distro's are affected too but one thing is for sure.... it's not a flaw in Ubuntu 13.10.
So while we're not able to install Chrome anymore one can always use Chromium, Firefox, Opera or another Open Source browser like Midori etc.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

The Chrome problem doesn't appear to be a problem in the 64 bit version so maybe it is just on the 32 bit version....but yes, like you said, it is something Google has to straighten out on their end, which i am sure they will quickly....this happened once before i recall not to long ago and they fixed it pretty fast...
Eggnog
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Eggnog »

I'm running Mint 15 Xfce on an old Dell I have hanging around. It's working fine and I may upgrade it to Mint 16 or maybe not. I don't really care enough about that old Pentium 4 machine to care what it runs. I just installed Mint 15 on it because I could.

But I run Mint Maya Cinnamon, backports enabled, on my main machine. I see no reason to upgrade/reinstall until Mint 17 is released and has been around for a month or more. I, too, am just going to go from LTS to LTS. I have no need for the newest bells and whistles on anything I do. Stability is the key for me.
passerby

Post by passerby »

craig10x wrote:I know some on the mint forums like to find a reason...ANY reason to bash ubuntu but you are just not being fair...
I don't see how it's Ubuntu bashing. It was pointed out that there are bugs with the release, the issue that third-party programs haven't been updated to suit the new release yet, that the support cycle is painfully short, and it's Brahim's personal opinion that it's the worst Ubuntu release ever. We're identifying issues with the new release, not whinging about Unity and Mir. Nobody here said anything negative about Ubuntu itself.
Nilla Wafer

Post by Nilla Wafer »

recluce wrote:WIth the current support periods, anything but the LTS versions are just experimental releases anyway, in my opinion. I see no practical use in an operating system that has 9 months of support at best. In that light, I really don't believe this to be an issue. If Ubuntu 14.04LTS should turn out to be a gong show, that would be whole different kettle of fish.
I really think that both Ubuntu and Mint should offer LTS releases as "the latest stable release" and all those in between should be offered as "experimental" or "unproven."

Between the race to be first to offer the newest shiny dinglehopper, the ready-or-not release deadline, and the ridiculously short lifespan of the regular releases, anything but an LTS should be marketed as experimental / unstable / high-risk / not for use on mission-critical machines IMO.

~nilla
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

With only 9 months of support on interim releases and the constant changes that are made from one release to the next, Ubuntu does itself a big disservice, forcing all third parties to "run" at its pace. And general unstable behaviour spread by this dev and marketing politics do also harm other Linux-based distros reputation of stability in general, giving a hand to FUD against Linux. I already found in the past that 18 months of support was a bit short and they cut it by half ! More than ever, only LTS releases are to be taken seriously.
M_aD
Level 4
Level 4

Post by M_aD »

craig10x wrote:The Chrome problem doesn't appear to be a problem in the 64 bit version so maybe it is just on the 32 bit version....but yes, like you said, it is something Google has to straighten out on their end, which i am sure they will quickly....this happened once before i recall not to long ago and they fixed it pretty fast...
Hi craig10x,

Many thanks for your reply and letting me know that the 64bit version is ok when it comes to installing or updating Google Chrome stable. I didn't know it happened before but i'm convinced they sort it soon.
M_aD
Level 4
Level 4

Post by M_aD »

passerby wrote:
craig10x wrote:I know some on the mint forums like to find a reason...ANY reason to bash ubuntu but you are just not being fair...
I don't see how it's Ubuntu bashing. It was pointed out that there are bugs with the release, the issue that third-party programs haven't been updated to suit the new release yet, that the support cycle is painfully short, and it's Brahim's personal opinion that it's the worst Ubuntu release ever. We're identifying issues with the new release, not whinging about Unity and Mir. Nobody here said anything negative about Ubuntu itself.
Still i agree with craig10x because it's just sounding too negative and the topic starter kinda is panicking.

But on the other hand.... Everyone who used operating systems, especially in the linux world, knows that a distro is never stable right from the start when it's released.
There are a few exceptions of course but still there are bugs left in them, even Debian though may it concern a few and smaller bugs in that one. True is that Debian does a more clever job at it by releasing it when it's ready from their point of view and don't bound themselves to a release date.

Also... it's better to wait a month or so with installing a just released OS so that the team has time to solve problems and provide fixes. Another thing one could do is stick to LTS releases but as we all know people always want the latest and greatest software available. Well... using the latest and the greatest doesn't always mean it works better than older (or say outdated as some call it) software.
Last edited by M_aD on Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Glad to be of help, Mr B :D
For passerby and others: i understand what you are saying...and agree with some aspects but to call it the worst ever when personally i have been working with for 3 months in development and know that it's like 13.04 but with even more improvements makes me have to cringe to read a header to a thread like that...
Also, it was JUST released and it usually takes about a month or so for things to totally smooth out...

Personally, i think a 1 year of updates cycle would have made a bit more sense then 9 months...but i discovered a really neat way to roll into each new version of ubuntu when it finalizes which unfortunately is not an option provided to you on mint...so for me, it is fine... :wink:
Adelante

Post by Adelante »

I don't see it as bad at all, using Xubuntu 13.10. Nothing's crashing. It's nice to look at and smooth to use. I'm having the Amazon instant video-flash updating problem that doesn't resolve with hal-info replacing hal; and my word processor TextMaker needs to catch up, but those two are the only drawbacks. I can still watch Amazon on Chromium, so it's not tragic, and Netflix works. I have Xubuntu installed on a spare partition I keep for trying out new releases. I'm not sure I'll keep it when something else comes along I want to give a run, but not because it's a bad release, at least on my computer.
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

Nilla Wafer wrote:
I really think that both Ubuntu and Mint should offer LTS releases as "the latest stable release" and all those in between should be offered as "experimental" or "unproven."

I couldn't agree with you more. :wink:

Stressing the "bleeding edge" options we have with Linux gives the outsider the impression that Linux is a "hobby" OS.
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

MartyMint wrote:
Nilla Wafer wrote:

I couldn't agree with you more. :wink:

Stressing the "bleeding edge" options we have with Linux gives the outsider the impression that Linux is a "hobby" OS.
I agree also and would think, more resources could be put into LMDE as well.
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

If it's a real disaster I don't know, I only have it for 1 day on my Asus EeePC900 :D
What I didn't like as that after installation I got the teletubby desktop, just like the Xandros desktop back in 2008 :( :(
No chance to choose the normal desktop at installation or at login .....

Debian, openSUSE, Linux Mint, SolydK installs the normal desktop on the same netbook ...

Return to “Chat about Linux”