[SOLVED] Shutdown dialog missing buttons

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mikk

[SOLVED] Shutdown dialog missing buttons

Post by Mikk »

Hi.

After Ubuntu 13.04 to 13.10 my system went unstable and I had to reinstall it completely. I have installed Cinnamon 2.0 (because I have it previously too) and removed Unity according [url=http://askubuntu.com/questions/292394/how-to-completely-remove-unity-and-replace-it-with-cinnamon]this procedure[/url]. But when I click a menu icon to shutdown the system, there are only three buttons - Hibernate, Suspend and Cancel. After 60 seconds I am just logged out. Shutting down from login screen works fine.

How can I get the Restart and Shutdown buttons back, please?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Shutdown dialog missing buttons

Post by tdockery97 »

The simplest way is to go to "add applets" and add the shutdown button to the panel. It has all the options (restart, etc.).

The more difficult (and dangerous) way is add the Mint repository to your sources and install mint-meta-cinnamon.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Mikk

Post by Mikk »

Thanks, I will try it.

Do you have any idea why on Ubuntu 13.04 (originally with Cinnamon 1.8 and updated to 2.0) was the dialog fine and now (clean Ubuntu 13.10 a Cinnamon 2.0) it's not?
Mikk

Post by Mikk »

Applets are also not working. User Applet (user@cinnamon.org) just shows the same dialog as the icon from Menu. Shutdown Applet (ShutdownApplet@shelley) does nothing when clicking Shutdown (other are OK) and the Shutdown button from Quit Applet (QuitApplet@bownz) "works" the same - nothing.

If there is no known solution and installing other package is potentially dangerous, I will rather handle it by terminal using sudo poweroff until I have more time to another re-installation a testing, in which situation starts this issue to occur.
uahummer

Post by uahummer »

same problem
Mikk

Post by Mikk »

Tried to find something in syslog before reinstalling and here is "something" - many lines looking like this:

Code: Select all

cinnamon-session[1074]: WARNING: Could not connect to ConsoleKit: Could not get owner of name 'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit': no such name
Mikk

Post by Mikk »

Also - solved. It's necessary to install consolekit.

Return to “Cinnamon”