virtualbox in deb

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
new2deb

virtualbox in deb

Post by new2deb »

I just recently switched from min15 to LMDE64. So far I'm liking it but couple questions. I downloaded VB like i did in min15 through package manager and couldn't get it to work at all. I then downloaded the 64bit package from virtualbox.org and installed and it runs the 32bit OS's fine but won't run 64bit at all i've tried bsd and LMDE64 in it. I did research and have clicked enable PAE/NX option but still doesn't work. Also I can not get it to recognize my usb devices(want to use my usb wifi). Since I downloaded from their site i'm assuming i'm using the PUEL version from what i read is required for usb support, i also installed the extension pack to see if that would help. All that from what i remember worked out of the box fine in mint15. Any help appreciated and sorry if it's been asked before!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Transitman
Level 2
Level 2

Re: virtualbox in deb

Post by Transitman »

new2deb wrote:I just recently switched from min15 to LMDE64. So far I'm liking it but couple questions. I downloaded VB like i did in min15 through package manager and couldn't get it to work at all. I then downloaded the 64bit package from virtualbox.org and installed and it runs the 32bit OS's fine but won't run 64bit at all i've tried bsd and LMDE64 in it. I did research and have clicked enable PAE/NX option but still doesn't work. Also I can not get it to recognize my usb devices(want to use my usb wifi). Since I downloaded from their site i'm assuming i'm using the PUEL version from what i read is required for usb support, i also installed the extension pack to see if that would help. All that from what i remember worked out of the box fine in mint15. Any help appreciated and sorry if it's been asked before!

Follow these directions http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=190&t=145548#p766354 from a previous post where it helped resolve some issues.

Also, look this thread over concerning multi-arch - http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=190&t=122296&sid=f9d908f7c03c51d737e158c841798cc2#p671535 and make sure you have it installed and up to date.
new2deb

Post by new2deb »

first link worked like a charm and i appreciate the walkthrough... Would like to know why it didn't work for me in the first place? i used exact directions just on the newer download.... USB working fine and all OS's i try to run are working fine except freebsd* i'm gonna redownload the iso and see if that helps but so far. Linutmint15/LMDE/netbsd/openbsd/ghostbsd all working fine! Thanks though!
Transitman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Transitman »

new2deb wrote:first link worked like a charm and i appreciate the walkthrough... Would like to know why it didn't work for me in the first place? i used exact directions just on the newer download.... USB working fine and all OS's i try to run are working fine except freebsd* i'm gonna redownload the iso and see if that helps but so far. Linutmint15/LMDE/netbsd/openbsd/ghostbsd all working fine! Thanks though!

Patience is the key.
And when in doubt, ask, ask ,ask.
Someone who has gone through it or done it will probably come around and lend a hand.

Return to “LMDE Archive”