[SOLVED] Double gconf-editor

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
lupin_85

Post by lupin_85 »

I've searched the internet and the forum but I've found nothing (and honestly I've had some difficulties concerning what to search).
After the upgrade to UP7 I've had some issues so I decide to re-install LMDE from a clean installation, and then update again.
Then I had a sound problem: no sound at all. I've serached the internet and now I've a "half-solution": the audio works only for system applications (vlc, banshee, etc) but not with chrome (while with firefox works perfectly). So I've searched again but no solution.
But I've found something strange: when modifying the configuration with gconf-editor launched from terminal I get something that is different from reaching the configuration editor through applications->system-tools (i'm not sure if this is the name because I've an italian version, but you got it)->configuration editor. When I say "different" I mean that keys are different, also appearence is (from terminal I've an arrow in the tree, from menu I've a "+").
And now the question: is this normal? But more important: does anyone know how to fix the chrome-audio problem? (by the way, alsa+pulseaudio is my setup)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Double gconf-editor

Post by Fornhamfred »

Found this thread in Ubuntu forum http://askubuntu.com/questions/318172/sound-problem-with-chrome

As a side issue I am running LMDE with Update 7 and sound is fine in Chrome.
lupin_85

Post by lupin_85 »

Already found a similar document, already tried, nothing changed: one single version of flash plugin, youtube html5 does not work properly with audio.
Any advice for the double configuration editor (by the way the same thing happens with the dropbox folder: if selected from the notification area had a black arrow/triangle on the left of the folders and does not allow to delete/modify/paste)?

ps. attached image shows the situation
grizzler

Post by grizzler »

lupin_85 wrote:Any advice for the double configuration editor
Is it possible one is the gconf editor and the other one the dconf editor? You don't mention which desktop environment you're using, but GNOME and MATE have been moving away from gconf to gsettings, which uses dconf-editor as a GUI. I assume Cinnamon uses gsettings/dconf-editor as well.
lupin_85

Post by lupin_85 »

You are absolutely right, I'm using MATE so it is possible I guess. But now my problem is that, following some forum advice, I had to modify the audiosink and musicaudiosink: with gconf-editor from terminal no problem, but with the configuration editor from menu the path of this two keys does not exist, and of course if I create them, they have no schema and no owner (that is no good I suppose). Could be this the reason why chrome does not use alsa/pulseaudio ,I mean it search in the wrong system configuration?
grizzler

Post by grizzler »

If the path doesn't exist in dconf, the software involved probably still uses gconf (not every application has moved to gsettings/dconf yet), so I don't think it's a matter of looking in the wrong place.
lupin_85

Post by lupin_85 »

ok, but still I cannot hear anything on chrome. Any other solution?
grizzler

Post by grizzler »

No idea, sorry. I'm not familiar with Chrome.

Edit: out of curiosity, I just downloaded and installed Chrome on my system (oldish 32 bit box, LMDE Testing with MATE). Sound works, so no chance to diagnose anything.

(Had to remove the blasted thing again, though - CPU usage went through the roof, just browsing around a bit!)
lupin_85

Post by lupin_85 »

Finally I've found a solution: http://memphiscodingadventures.wordpress.com/2013/04/12/flash-soundaudio-not-working-in-google-chrome-ubuntu-12-10/

It seems a conflict between chrome and firefox or (this is my opinion) a conflict between the mint-flashplugin native and the flashplugin-nonfree. Anyway removing chrome, firefox and all flashplugin installed and re-installing chrome, firefox and just the nonfree plugin worked for me.

Thanks to all

Return to “LMDE Archive”