Can we have Updated ISO with package updates?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
anandrkris

Can we have Updated ISO with package updates?

Post by anandrkris »

Hi - I am wondering whether the initial ISO's are ever updated with latest packages that come as updates after installation.
Say, I have Linux Mint 13 installed and ever since there are so many security / new package updates, i think user has to download original ISO (xMB) then again download another y MB of updates. Now, in regions where internet bandwidth is scarce, users suffer a lot with x+y MB of download.

I can think of some reasons like testing ISO, maintenance, etc but at least once in a month or so or when major updates are available, ISO can be updated. If it is a costly operation, can anyone point me to any re-spins that're maintained for Mint by other enthusiasts. At least, for LTS version this can be made available.

If this has been already discussed, please direct me to the post.

I think even Linus torvalds reported a similair issue few weeks ago in his G+ post-
https://plus.google.com/102150693225130 ... qUgcYcfQuV
[url]http://news.softpedia.com/news/Linus-Torvalds-Smashes-the-Fedora-Project-Calls-Them-Stupid-393127.shtml[/url]
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
js3915

Re: Can we have Updated ISO with package updates?

Post by js3915 »

Would be a challenge, especially if you pride yourself on being very "stable" Also kinda pointless if you release every 6 months.
Does suck to reinstall a system then have to upgrade 500 packages. Only option might be like a nightly spin mark it experimental make users click like 3 warnings stating that its not tested to the standard of the normal 6 month release.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”