when exactly is the kde version of petra due out?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LISABLUEANGEL

when exactly is the kde version of petra due out?

Post by LISABLUEANGEL »

i just love kde! plz tell me when the new edition of it is due out!!! tyvm!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nomko

Re: when exactly is the kde version of petra due out?

Post by nomko »

Linux Mint 16 Petra is scheduled for release at the end of november this year. This is for the Mate and Cinnamon version. I guess that end of december the KDE version is ready for release (correct me if i'm wrong).

But you can use your current version (if you have Mint 15) till january 2014, so when the support of that version is ended you can switch to Mint 16 KDE.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

nomko wrote: I guess that end of december the KDE version is ready for release (correct me if i'm wrong).
Can We Have it on Christmas Eve? Please! :P
nomko

Post by nomko »

Orbmiser wrote:
nomko wrote: I guess that end of december the KDE version is ready for release (correct me if i'm wrong).
Can We Have it on Christmas Eve? Please! :P
We will postpone Christmas Eve specially for you till the release of Mint 16 KDE. When Mint 16 KDE is released you can go to the forest, chop down a fir tree, bring it to your house, decorate it and sing Christmas carols. After that you can install Mint 16 KDE on your system.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

+1 :lol: :lol: :lol:

"♭♯Tis the Season to be Petra! Fa-La-La...La..La..Laaa!♭♯♭ "
"♭♯Now we Down our I.S.O..oo's Fa-La-La...La..La..Laaa!♭♯♭ " :mrgreen:
4.jpeg
Jonathan Spearman

Post by Jonathan Spearman »

I could be wrong, But KDE 15 just came out...So I would not expect to see Petra until after the New Year around March
igor83

Post by igor83 »

Jonathan Spearman wrote:I could be wrong, But KDE 15 just came out...So I would not expect to see Petra until after the New Year around March
*buntu 14.04 LTS has a release date of April 17th 2014, so I think Linux Mint wants to release Petra at least a couple months before that important milestone. End of the year sounds about right I guess. Although I'm tempted, I'm probably going to pass on Petra, because the LTS seems right around the corner.

I'm planning to limp along with my broken, non-updating Kubuntu 13.10 until the next Linux Mint KDE LTS release. Even if I have to wait until July, I feel like five years' support and the 3.12 (or higher) kernel will be worth the wait in the end. Then it's goodbye to Kubuntu and the Muon Madness. Such a relief that will be...

I'm also going to be interested in Linux Mint Xfce LTS for my htpc and laptop.

One of the nice things to look forward to in 14.04 will be the performance enhancements in Linux kernel 3.12 and above, for both ext4 and AMD/ATI video drivers. As always, new versions of KDE are welcome as well when they have better performance and features... I do hope the Linux Mint Updater and Package Manager both remain as rock-solid as ever.
bkovacs
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bkovacs »

Should be released when the other versions are released. Less than a 9 month support cycle is BS. And with Mint you have already lost a month or so of Ubuntu repo support. Fedora, openSUSE, and Debian give you over a year of support for each release. One reason why Mint needs to move away from Ubuntu as a base.
cessanfrancisco

Post by cessanfrancisco »

I hope they use that month to work out all the bugs. I know Ubuntu 13.10 is a total piece of garbage on my Lenovo Z580.
nomko

Post by nomko »

cessanfrancisco wrote:I hope they use that month to work out all the bugs.
That's the problem with new releases, they fix old bugs but bring in new ones... That's why updates are so important. They fix old/existing bugs (but could also bring in new ones.....).
cessanfrancisco wrote: I know Ubuntu 13.10 is a total piece of garbage on my Lenovo Z580.
I've heard that before about Ubuntu 13.10. But I thought Lenovo was a very Linux-friendly system?
cessanfrancisco

Post by cessanfrancisco »

Yes, I thought the Lenovo would work great too. Unfortunately its not the case. The biggest issue is that sometimes it won't boot up. I've read that there's a kernel incompatibility issue with the hardware resulting in 10-20 minute boot up times. But who knows? I haven't tried other distros on it yet.

I'm hoping Mint 16 KDE works on it, since Mint 15 KDE is running perfectly, out of the box, on my Asus UL80jt.
js3915

Post by js3915 »

Jonathan Spearman wrote:I could be wrong, But KDE 15 just came out...So I would not expect to see Petra until after the New Year around March
was released July 21st according to the linux mint blog but your Probably correct KDE end of December or in Janurary if it is similar to Mint 15 release schedule..

Mint 15 was towards end of May
The Dark Side

Post by The Dark Side »

It would be great to get out as soon as possible. But first they have to leave the Mate and Cinnamon editions of Linux Mint 16. However, although a little late, usually the editions of Linux Mint KDE are excellent !!!! Greetings.-
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

bkovacs wrote:Should be released when the other versions are released. Less than a 9 month support cycle is BS. And with Mint you have already lost a month or so of Ubuntu repo support. Fedora, openSUSE, and Debian give you over a year of support for each release. One reason why Mint needs to move away from Ubuntu as a base.
Patience. The developers can only do so much so fast, like a complete rewrite of Cinnamon that took 5 months to complete never mind fixing all the problems with Ubuntu 13.10 as well as a rather major bug in "systemd" that affects all main releases, which is probably why the testing of the KDE edition is in idle at the moment. That "systemd" bug is causing problems in more than one area and the devs have find ways to fix it.

That being said, Clem has already made strong hints about changing the cycle of Mint releases in the near future. Exactly what that entails is anyone's guess at this point but if past experience is any indication it will happen--but not until it's ready. :)
Last edited by kmb42vt on Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
igor83

Post by igor83 »

kmb42vt wrote:
bkovacs wrote:Should be released when the other versions are released. Less than a 9 month support cycle is BS. And with Mint you have already lost a month or so of Ubuntu repo support. Fedora, openSUSE, and Debian give you over a year of support for each release. One reason why Mint needs to move away from Ubuntu as a base.
Patience. The developers can only do so much so fast, like a complete rewrite of Cinnamon that took 5 months to complete never mind fixing all the problems with Ubuntu 13.10 as well as a rather major bug in "systemd" that affects all main releases, which is probably why the testing of the KDE edition is in idle at the moment. That "systemd" bug is causing problems in more that one area and the devs have taken upon themselves to fix it.

That being said, Clem has already made strong hints about changing the cycle of Mint releases in the near future. Exactly what that entails is anyone's guess at this point but if past experience is any indication it will happen--but not until it's ready. :)
I'd be happy with Mint breaking away from Ubuntu's schedule and just doing LTS.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

igor83 wrote: I'd be happy with Mint breaking away from Ubuntu's schedule and just doing LTS.
Well....there's also the possibility of (ahem, cough-cough) Mint forking the basic Ubuntu binaries themselves and carrying on from there? :shock:
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
igor83

Post by igor83 »

kmb42vt wrote:
igor83 wrote: I'd be happy with Mint breaking away from Ubuntu's schedule and just doing LTS.
Well....there's also the possibility of (ahem, cough-cough) Mint forking the basic Ubuntu binaries themselves and carrying on from there? :shock:
That may well be. I think the leprechauns are sitting on the fence waiting to see whether Mir follows its predecessor. I think 2014 will be the year of Decisions though, one way or the other. It could be that a decision is forced on Mint, rather than the other way around.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

@igor83 - Heh, I like that. "Year of decisions". Very accurate I think. There's choices for Mint though and Xorg hasn't been deprecated yet so there's still time to make these decisions. A lot depends on what Intel, AMD and Nvidia chooses to support as far as display servers go as well. Right now none of three has yet thrown support behind Wayland or Mir as far as the latest info is concerned. And Canonical had to pull their plans for XMir in 13.10 due to Intel pulling their support for it. Xorg may be a bit more than a few decades old but all in all, it still being developed, it still works and is well supported.

Until there's concrete evidence about full free and non-free graphics driver support for either Mir or Wayland, I won't believe what Canonical or the Wayland developers state about it.

Oh dear, I believe we hijacked this thread. Sorry about that. :D
javabiz

Post by javabiz »

Linux Mint 15 Cinnamon/Mate were released on May 29, 2013 and xfce on July 21st and kde on July 23 of 2013.
Currently if Cinnamon/Mate were finalized on 11/30/2013 then xfce should release on January 21, 2014 and kde on January 23, 2014.

I hope kde gets here sooner because I tried Mate and Cinnamon and I liked Kde much better because of the ability to add a panel on the top with a pager with eight desktops. I could also run a separate instance of Firefox in each window, which was huge. The Cairo panel on the bottom gave me all the advantages of Mac with Linux Mint 15 kde underneath. Awesome! The best developer machine yet! Mate/Cinnamon were limited with Cairo and with the way it handles multiple applications at the same time. Okay for light use users but not heavy users!
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

javabiz wrote:Linux Mint 15 Cinnamon/Mate were released on May 29, 2013 and xfce on July 21st and kde on July 23 of 2013.
Currently if Cinnamon/Mate were finalized on 11/30/2013 then xfce should release on January 21, 2014 and kde on January 23, 2014.

I hope kde gets here sooner because I tried Mate and Cinnamon and I liked Kde much better because of the ability to add a panel on the top with a pager with eight desktops. I could also run a separate instance of Firefox in each window, which was huge. The Cairo panel on the bottom gave me all the advantages of Mac with Linux Mint 15 kde underneath. Awesome! The best developer machine yet! Mate/Cinnamon were limited with Cairo and with the way it handles multiple applications at the same time. Okay for light use users but not heavy users!
Yep the waiting and need to clean installs every 6 months. Had me looking at a debian rolling as a solution.
So went with another which is part of the Mint family SolydXK which is a monthly debian semi-rolling KDE.
[url]http://solydxk.com/homeedition/solydk/[/url]

Since I had separate /home parition then all I had to do was install / root and everything worked with minimal breakage to fix.
And no more wating for next release or need to clean install every 6-9 months. Last 3 monthly updates went smooth and trouble free. With closest to newest versions apps and KDE 4.11.3 & 3.10-3 kernel.

Return to “Software & Applications”