Suddenly cant get past login screen

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vintagepen

Suddenly cant get past login screen

Post by vintagepen »

I havent used this computer much because it is one of those boxes which won't come out of suspend and this seems to have been an inherent problem with Mint since lisa. But I thought I would try to see if there had been any updates in the last month or so which might have fixed this.

Suddenly I cant get past the login screen. It wont take my userID. I was under the impression that I could click on the userID at the top left of the screen (to make sure i get it right) and then enter my password but there is no userID icon. Does anyone know what i am doing wrong please?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Suddenly cant get past login screen

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Not all of the included login screen choices show the list of users. If the one that you are currently using does not, you will have to enter your user name manually. If, after ensuring that you have the correct user name and password, you are still unable to log in, please make sure that your Caps Lock key is not enabled.

If you are still unable to log in and it is your computer or one that you have permission to access, you may wish to perform a forum search for lost password and/or lost user id. There are threads that describe changing them, IIRC.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
vintagepen

Post by vintagepen »

Lots on changing IDs once you have got in or on changing passwords under all sorts of circumstances but nothing where the idiot cant actually get in to do anything.

You seem to be able to get to a prompt and enter a root password, (which is OK as i think i remember the password if root password is the same as password) but nothing which sets up a userID after that stage?

I think i may just wipe and install Lisa and bypass the wake from suspend problems inherent in 14 and 15 anyway! I may even be able to install Lisa, have wake from suspend work and then do a dist-upgrade. I wonder if anyone has ever tried that?
vintagepen

Post by vintagepen »

Unless there is some way of getting terminal to display the user name it wants AFTER I have entered the password?
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

vintagepen wrote:Unless there is some way of getting terminal to display the user name it wants AFTER I have entered the password?
Did you see any threads describing how to chroot from the live dvd to change your password :?:
vintagepen

Post by vintagepen »

Thanks for that, that looked difficult from the threads but was in fact dead easy, it only took a ls /home (which I suspect everyone but me knew)

Now it is downloading a very large 9 packages out of 39: Holding my breath on wake from suspend being fixed by now!
vintagepen

Post by vintagepen »

Thanks for that, that looked difficult from the threads but was in fact dead easy, it only took a ls /home (which I suspect everyone but me knew)

Now it is downloading a very large 9 packages out of 39: Holding my breath on wake from suspend being fixed by now!

Return to “Beginner Questions”