Well I went and broke the desktop....doh!

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Lantesh

Well I went and broke the desktop....doh!

Post by Lantesh »

In the immortal words of Homer Simpson....Doh! I decided since Elyssa is upon us I was going to mess with Daryna a bit. I changed the Gutsy entries in sources.list to Hardy (changed back afterwords), and proceeded to upgrade some serious ****. I grabbed the latest open office, Gnome 2.22, and various other stuff. The first issue I had to fix was that I broke my Nvidia driver. I got that issue solved with a combination of several reboots and some serious help from Envy. The issue I have no clue on is that Gnome will not draw the desktop, and my themes seem to be broke as well. It's not a big deal really since I'll be wiping the partition shortly for Elyssa. I just thought it would be nice to fix it since I'll learn something out of it. Anyone want to venture a guess on where I went wrong? I'm thinking I didn't install something I should have.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred

Re: Well I went and broke the desktop....doh!

Post by Fred »

Lantesh,

I am thinking you installed something you shouldn't have. :-)

Fred
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

Yeah Fred it's pretty fubared, lol. I just discovered Nautilus is busted too. It really doesn't matter. Elyssa is so close, and until then I have an account in the kids Edubuntu installation. I may even install the Elyssa Beta, or maybe I'll wait for a release candidate. In any case the reason I was messing around now was for fun, and because I didn't care if I broke anything. It is still somewhat functional as I am typing this here. I've basically got the Gnome task bar, and can launch any application except Nautilus. Themes, Nautilus, and the desktop, are broken. Compiz is working great though. I can still spin the cube. It just looks a bit funny with no sides, lol. Oh and Gnome thinks all my other partitions are external drives, which of course I can't access. What a mess. :mrgreen:

Anyway I'm off to bed. See you guys tomorrow.

Edit: Well I downloaded the Elyssa Beta, so it looks like I will be joining the testing crew. :D
Edit2: Installed and testing. 8)
nolan

Post by nolan »

:oops:

Same problem, though I would be clever, did something stupid. I'm personally counting this as a lesson learned. Although, is there a way to forcible reinstall all currently install packages?
Fred

Post by Fred »

nolan,

Well.... can you force a square peg into a round hole? With a big enough hammer.... yes. But do you really want to? :-)

Fred

Return to “Software & Applications”