Linux Mint 5 Elyssa - BETA 032 is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.Please do not add support questions to threads here,use the appropriate support forum instead
grizwald
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa - BETA 032 is out!

Post by grizwald »

I see there is a Firefox update http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-beta.html available but how does one install it? The "Check for Updates" is greyed out on my Firefox 3 software. With luck this update might fix the drop outs that are being experienced when using Firefox and Elyssa.
I have downloaded the file and unpacked it OK and am presented with an array of folders and files. Where does one graft/copy them?

Any thoughts/advice [constructive] would be appreciated?

Grizwald.

67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

grizwald wrote:I see there is a Firefox update http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-beta.html available but how does one install it? The "Check for Updates" is greyed out on my Firefox 3 software. With luck this update might fix the drop outs that are being experienced when using Firefox and Elyssa.
I have downloaded the file and unpacked it OK and am presented with an array of folders and files. Where does one graft/copy them?

Grizwald.
The update will come when it is uploaded to the repo servers. Firefox is kept from updating by itself to keep it stable, as are other apps from the repos.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

grizwald wrote:I see there is a Firefox update http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-beta.html available but how does one install it? The "Check for Updates" is greyed out on my Firefox 3 software. With luck this update might fix the drop outs that are being experienced when using Firefox and Elyssa.

Grizwald.
Ubuntu has to make a package 1st, with any fixes/patches for Ubuntu.

Kynan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kynan »

7even wrote:
Kynan wrote:
Kynan wrote: Equalizer for exaile no longer works (pulse audio?).

Sound laggs much more easily and worse when doing things in the background while listening to music. (pulse audio?.)
To quote myself so you know what i'm talking about.. i did some searching and found that it is a problem in hardy and the exact problems i was experiencing were also being experienced by others.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=4928900
This link... Is it resolve your problems with pulse audio?
It fixed my problem with choppy sound when i was doing tasks in the background, but it still hasn't fixed my problem with using exaile's equalizer, i've seen a bug report for this not being pulse audio but gstreamer.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/exaile/+bug/192105 which directed me to https://bugs.launchpad.net/exaile/+bug/193929
and i also found this http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=764641 which tells me that it is indeed a problem with gstreamer.
Normal people believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Kynan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kynan »

Ok I solved the problem...

I had to install jackeq i also installed jackd and jack-tools but i think its jackeq which instantly made the eq work and the sound sounds much better, so i hope it is included in elyssa final.

Steely
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Steely »

Hi

Great job on the beta. It has been running well and the only thing I have noticed so far is that it can take a long time for Login Window in Control Center to launch the first time. A minor cosmetic issue is that grub shows full screen and the usplash during boot only fills about half the screen and then goes to full screen at the login screen. After installing the nvidia drivers I had to edit xorg.conf to change the virtual setting from 1600 x 1200 back to the proper resolution of my monitor ( 1280 x 1024 ). At 1600 x 1200 the login window is really off center.

Keep up the great work !

Dale

Post by Guest »

The most attractive of the Linux distros!

BUT Audio problems: Rhythmbox, Exaile and Amarok, faint but annoying crackle when playing CD's, Rhythmbox is worst, Amarok is best (passable),

Kynan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kynan »

PulseAudio seems a big pain in the ass to most people... including me, why did Ubuntu include it? what advantages does it bring? does mint need it?

Monkwarrior
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Monkwarrior »

Hello,

Very stable so far.
At least Mint's xorg doesn't crash because of Firefox (like it did in Ubuntu for me), firefox itself "only" crashes.
One thing I noticed: when adding autostart apps in "Sessions" one of them doesn't autostart: Konversation.
Dark themes are not (yet) available for the main mint menu.
Great work so far.

Greetingz, Monk.

atlef
Level 4
Level 4

Post by atlef »

JP84 wrote:Yea, one of the first things I did after I installed this beta was removing PulseAudio. I'm using the SPDIF connection on my soundcard which just would not work with PulseAudio.
Thank you for that tip. I could not for the life of me figure out why my main rig using normal jack out has no sound problem but my mediabox uses spdif.

Other then that issue, I find it very stable and no other problems bug so far.

atlef.

7even
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 7even »

Can't login Gnome after I've changed GDM theme. Only in save mode. Recovery default GDM theme changes nothing. (Sorry for my english) :oops:

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse »

when adding autostart apps in "Sessions" one of them doesn't autostart: Konversation.
Notice the spelling? Konversation is a KDE app - this may cause it
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

jasonwatkins
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jasonwatkins »

i've just done a completely fresh install and at the moment, i'm finding it very good indeed :)

one thing i did find though, when i wanted to access the "login window" option to set an automatic login it took absolutely forever to load it up. i did it eventually, but it took a good 2 minutes to load it.

and firefox 3 is running like a dream at the moment - when i tried hardy, i had no end of problems with it but at the moment it's fantastic.

kayakaholic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kayakaholic »

Is it really right for an LTS to be released with something as big as firefox in beta? I replaced it with firefox 2 cos it kept crashing on me.

jasonwatkins
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jasonwatkins »

having problems getting xmms installed.

yes, i know it's obsolete but i like it - it's simple and plays my stuff. don't want to fanny around with rhythmnbox or amaraok.

anyway, went to the software portal and it only offered me xmms2 so i went back to daryna and tried to install it from there but it tried to install it into the default repository, told me it had finished but hadn't actually installed it at all.

will try audacious and see how i go with that.

Monkwarrior
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Monkwarrior »

jasonwatkins wrote:one thing i did find though, when i wanted to access the "login window" option to set an automatic login it took absolutely forever to load it up. i did it eventually, but it took a good 2 minutes to load it.
Confirmed.
It takes very long.

mosaias
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mosaias »

Monkwarrior wrote:
jasonwatkins wrote:one thing i did find though, when i wanted to access the "login window" option to set an automatic login it took absolutely forever to load it up. i did it eventually, but it took a good 2 minutes to load it.
Confirmed.
It takes very long.
It's a problem with Hardy... :?

nikos
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nikos »

I have a little problem, when I modify from main menu folders or programs they do not appear in Elyssa menu. Is it a known bug?
Thank you
Nikos

ksousa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ksousa »

After 2 essays with the live cd and a little anxious, the curiosity wins ... and voila ... a fresh install ... bye bye "old" and "solid" Daryna ... god save the queen Elyssa .. and with a Toshiba A210 ... all is ok ... i forget thatś is a beta ... a little problem with ATI but in the ATI wiki was the solution ... install manual ... and 3d, sound, wireless (Atheros) all is fine ... CONGRATULATIONS CLEM and ALL THE TEAM ... Good work ...

Monkwarrior
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Monkwarrior »

Gents,

Not sure whether this is Hardy or Mint problem.
But after 2 to 4 hours Mint has a DNS problem.
Rebooting solves the problem :(

I didn't experience this in Hardy,
Anyone else have this problem in Elyssa ?

Monk.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”